Hilarious things you've seen at gigs (1 Viewer)

I was at a gig in the Isaac Butt before and this singer-songwriter tells the audience that he doesn't usually play solo and that's he's normally straddled by two guitarists - my wife leans over to me and says 'I think he means flanked'.

i was at a breakcore/noise/industrial gig a few months ago where a guy got up half-way through and started playing acoustic singer-songwriter stuff. no idea why he was allowed do this.

he was terrible, even by singer-songwriter standards -- really really dire. everyone in the crowd reacted by ignoring him and talking amongst themselves.

during his last song he kept strumming away, but also managed to simultaneously pull his trousers down around his ankles. but by that stage the audience were so immersed in shunning him that hardly anyone even realised that there was a guy on stage with his scrawny balls hanging out. strange evening.

There's definitely some irony in here somewhere.

Hey I didnt see this cause I was to cool to be there but....

Dude I used to be in a band with hit the lead singer from placebo in the head with a plastic bottle. He sed he just lashed it up at the stage with out really aimimg and it did a big curve and hit Brian Moloko or what ever hes name is in the head - classic!

Anyone seen that?

Dude I used to be in a band with hit the lead singer from placebo in the head with a plastic bottle. He sed he just lashed it up at the stage with out really aimimg and it did a big curve and hit Brian Moloko or what ever hes name is in the head - classic!

Anyone seen that?
I think i did - was it the SFX gig years ago?

actually, another McKaye related gem - when Fugazi played in Kilkenny years ago, someone tried to stagedave and somehow their clothes managed to get caught on Ian McKaye's watch, causing some awkward onstage attempts to seperate from each other. The fact Fugazi were playing in front of what looked like the backdrop of a school play (complete with trees and, I think, a castle) just made it even funnier.

At one of The Jimmy Cake's first ever shows we played Eamonn Dorans and Dermot Doran asks this random punter on the street with an acoustic guitar to play support. It's difficult to describe how bizarre this chap was but at one point he did a cover Man Who Sold The World but didnt know most of the words and couldnt play the main riff so he sang the main riff completely out of key instead and mumbled 'man who sold the world' when he thought the riff was over (puntuated by a dramatic off-key strum (a lá the original My Lovely Horse). This would be an accurate reflection of most of the set and he played for AGES. Deadly gig.

Also, there was a hand shandy administered at the front of the crowd during one of our shows in the Village. Something to do with us being a load of wank etc

Anyone seen that?

lol i know that guy!

I caught the end of Adebisi Shanks support slot a few weeks ago. The bass player had a black scarf wrapped tight around his face so you could only see the imprint of his eyes and nose. He was pulling these vague Ninja shapes onstage too, combined with the intense songs he looked pretty menacing.

Then he ambles up to the mic inbetween songs, "Tanks very much!" ---- crowd laughs, menace gone.

(Very good band by the way)

I went to see Ash when I was 16 and like me, most of the crowd were muppets waiting to bop to 'Girl From Mars'. The support act were Six By Seven (anyone remember them?) and with their post/noise-rock template , playing guitar with a bow etc they didnt go down too well.

Halfway through a song the singer stopped to finally call out this idiot who literally stood in front of him in the front row for the entire gig flipping him the bird with both hands, arms aloft. He went on a massive rant about how he was a retard and should go back to the bar and drink himself even stupider until his precious Ash started.

At the time I thought 'what a wanker', but fair play really

nothing to do with the story, but... six by seven = a much-underrated band with some really fantastic stuff

just sayin

You're dead right, the name always stuck after that and once I 'matured' I gave em a listen and really liked it, pity they never made it. Theres another thread waiting to happen, bands that never went over the top that really should have...

Saw a really drunk guy at an open-mike night a while ago called Jason Bad. He stumbled around the room with a guitar strpped to him for a bit before introducing his song. He went on to state that he's had three kids by three different women, before explaining that the song he was about to play was written about his "current" daughter.

i once saw a guy with dreadlocks getting really into the gig (can't remember which gig it was) but anyway, he was full on headbanging and then one of his dreadlocks went straight into the pint of guinness of a guy who was standing beside him. it was pretty funny.

null set gig many years ago at the phoenix bar in cork, where the stage was up a ladder above the toilets, the cistern was in a corner of the stage, and there was a chicken wire divider between the band and audience below.
bar was also an early house, and the audience consisted of one guy who looked like he'd been on the lash for days.
anyway, he patently wasn't enjoying us as he started to anxiously tear at the hole in the knee of his jeans, and tore off some demin and threw it at us. Tore off another strip and through at. Repeated this until he was just wearing shorts and the wire mesh was covered in demin

in fairness alan the kid in question was about 4 years old

to reiterate

Priceless.

We're obviously thinking about a different person or gig... At the Cork one some guy kept talking to Ian MacKaye while he was trying to talk between songs. A grown man like.

Presume ye're talking about Owensie's sprog yes? I'm definitely not referring to that.

We're obviously thinking about a different person or gig... At the Cork one some guy kept talking to Ian MacKaye while he was trying to talk between songs. A grown man like.

Presume ye're talking about Owensie's sprog yes? I'm definitely not referring to that.

here, wasn't it you who poked rollins in the eye?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back