hey there folks, some galway questions if you can help (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter LXE
  • Start date
  • Replies 102
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 6
It's not my revolution if I can't wank.

I'd rather give out free tapes of Discharge records all the same, but fuck it, give out Crimethinc if you like, just because other people found thier way to where they're at either through it, against it, or around it, well it's still always better to find your own way than to have someone push you down a corridor.

P.S. - don't let Brian Dingleberry push you down a corridor.

we'll have some reprinted crimethinc zines

please tell me your under 20

well, if anyone sees a problem in putting up crimethinc stuff at fnb stall, i have a suggestion: do it fucking yourself and put whatever shit you want on the table. fair?

Hey just want to point this out in case I get blamed the massive weight of opinions you got off everyone else (well, Shorty mainly, lets be honest) - I do support what your doing, I never meant my flippant remark to turn into this huge can of worms that might make you feel unfairly criticised - and feel a little guilty about it in retrospect of that.
About Crimethinc, I do feel it has no little value to anybody old enough to be living some of the realities of life (ie over 20 or so...hence my comment), be they activist or not. Also I find them weirldy Vanguardist or Christian or something while professing otherwise all the time, I can't put my finger on it - just plain creepy maybe.

Anyway fairplay for getting off your ass to do something.

Although if I did have a gripe I'd say it was with feeding the people of Galway - I hate that city, I really do, they rival Cork city people for pure culchie arrogance, with Kilkenny town people topping the charts.

Next time can you balance it out by accompanying their meal with a lovely glass of local Galway water.

I wasn't really bashing Crimethinc, just that Shorty's comments have already been said/discussed/argued blah blah blah on Eirecore before, its no skin off my arse if someone's into Crimethinc or not.

cryptosporidium2_200.jpg

sketch lads:eek:

Yeah, give it time and with it being done regularly, see what happens? I really don't mean to or want to be knocking you. I mean, you're from lithuania right? I always enjoy reading about the various activities, actions and organisation of the rather nascent eastern european anarchist movement in Abolishing the Borders from Below and it seems like food not bombs activities are quite a big part of a lot of that (and in the case of russia, can even get you killed). And you are thus dealling with your own experiences of political activity and praxis. Though I see in a lot of this, activities (activities that are quite influenced by north american anarchism and anarchist activity) that the also quite young Irish anarchist movement (or perhaps in this case the cultural wing, :) ) would have previously been involved in but has since given up on.

Are you suggesting me, that food not bombs (or crimethinc??) is not working properly in Ireland, so I should learn from your experience and give it up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's nothing wrong with going to each other's houses either though. It might not be as "political" but then again who can have a problem with feeding the homeless? It's a pretty safe and good cause. Just be honest about it.

I see you didn't understand my point about each other houses, but I don't understand what You are saying here either (my english). So we're even here.

As for the direct action, grassroots and diy I previously would have agreed with this but probably since don't. It's DIY in the punk sense but not in the sense of encouraging the self activity of the homeless or other marginalised groups, it's grassroots in the sense that it's a horizontal/non-hierarchical group but not a grassroots response to the issue of homlessness and it's direct action in that it's un mediated but direct action has a different meaning and understanding to me.

Now, this DIY is not in a punk sense. I might have been involved in the scene back in Lithuania, but my friends that helped me alot, never were. They are just simple lads, enjoying MTV and going out on weekends and this was different experience to them.
As for the involvement of homeless, I must confess, I got totally confused. I not so well familiar with society here and comparing to things in Lithuania, it seems that all the homelessness doesn't exist here. Anyway, establishing a contact with these people is now the first thing on to-do list.
I would be all very nice, if I could just like that, after spending few months in unknown society do a direct-in-the-balls-of-the-problem-action, but I can't. I'm doing what I can and see where I could improve.

Well, I'd argue it's not all that sound enough to be applicable to anyone's life, because of the emphais on dropout politics, apart from a very small amount of people who would fit a broad yet quite homogenous set of cultural,social,racial,economic,etc. backgrounds (Alot of which I'd probably also fullfill) least of all middle class gentlemen and ladies. In general I find people are opened up to ideas in different ways and wouldn't discount this it's just possibly not as effective as other methods.

I like Ramors review of Days of War here
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=04/11/02/026239&mode=nested&tid=22&tid=2
A bit about the nice sounding but ultimately hollow nature of most crimethinc literature. It is well written, poetic and lyrical but ...

Tell me, what's applicable to anyone's life? And dropping out was essential only in one zine out of three. Did you read them at all? I mentioned mid-class ladies and gents as the ones that would find 'politics is the art of..' zine sound - it has little to do with all this dumpster diving, squatting etc.
And let me ask, if I had instead brought H.Bey's 'TAZ', would you have a problem with it too?

Yeah, but this is Eirecore, so it's all about the bitchiness. :) :p But it's also that I don't like talking politics too much and on eirecore as well/especially. I kind of feel embarassed and ashamed as if it feels out of place. But I can post some more if the conversation develops further.

Here's an interesting action involving working with (rather than for) the homeless that was also quite impowering and was working with a radical homeless group. Though I don't know what has since happened as I'm out of the country and haven't heard anymore.

http://indymedia.ie/article/73193

That's well done! Locking cops in a squat, well that's fucking hillarious:)! Thanks for sharing. I made my points about homelessness here before.

Are you suggesting me, that food not bombs (or crimethinc??) is not working properly in Ireland, so I should learn from your experience and give it up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't say "is", I'd use the past tense. And as long as "your" is in the plural and not the singular. I'd say some to a lot of the problems are or were practical for us but most of the problems are political and theoretical, (praxis; the point were theory becomes action (and vice versa)) not entirely with our effort with Food Not Bombs but with "Food Not Bombs".

Now, this DIY is not in a punk sense. I might have been involved in the scene back in Lithuania, but my friends that helped me alot, never were. They are just simple lads, enjoying MTV and going out on weekends and this was different experience to them.
As for the involvement of homeless, I must confess, I got totally confused. I not so well familiar with society here and comparing to things in Lithuania, it seems that all the homelessness doesn't exist here. Anyway, establishing a contact with these people is now the first thing on to-do list.
I would be all very nice, if I could just like that, after spending few months in unknown society do a direct-in-the-balls-of-the-problem-action, but I can't. I'm doing what I can and see where I could improve.

I mean DIY in the sense of, yes, you are doing it yourselves but the question one needs to ask is "Is this encouraging the self activity of others or is it merely a radical form of charity?". You know what I mean?
There were some attempts by us to get in touch with the simon community, etc. but they weren't too interested in the sporadic activities of a bunch of crusty kids. There are people on this board who are involved in working with the homeless community; spuded and stephenoblunt(but maybe more on punkforit), maybe PM them and ask them some questions,advice, etc. they could help out or put you in touch with groups in Galway.
Homelessness is a very complex issue and one very much tied into the state of mental health care in this country IMHO. It is a big problem, but currently I feel that this is still best dealt with by those groups specifically dealing with them, this may not be very anarchist, but it's how I feel. There is no "direct-in-the-balls-of-the-problem-action", unfortunately. It's something that needs a long term approach.
Just like anarchism, hehe :)

Tell me, what's applicable to anyone's life? And dropping out was essential only in one zine out of three. Did you read them at all? I mentioned mid-class ladies and gents as the ones that would find 'politics is the art of..' zine sound - it has little to do with all this dumpster diving, squatting etc.

I'm not in any position to tell people what's applicable to ther lives and this would run counter to my political, philosophical and personal beliefs in a very deep way if I did. Maybe carlow punks answered the question already and better than I could. But maybe one way of seeing what's applicable to people's lives is to see what struggles people are involved in and affected and effected by.

This is a really nice zine that if more people came into contact with this first, rather than crimethinc, we'd be in a lot better position, again IMO.

http://www.prole.info/introduction/intro_0.html

And let me ask, if I had instead brought H.Bey's 'TAZ', would you have a problem with it too?

LOL, eh, :eek: It would depend on what your views on NAMBLA are?
I liked On the Waterfront and the Godfather but I don't think I'll be having sex with children anytime soon, or at least defending those who do.

http://libcom.org/library/leaving-out-ugly-part-hakim-bey
http://libcom.org/library/paedophilia-and-american-anarchism-the-other-side-of-hakim-bey

While political activity is comendable it's probably worth taking note that the crimethinc stuff has been critiqued out of existance, as political stances go it's entirely empty and pointless.

My article on "crimethinc" after several months of dialogue with some of them - http://www.anarkismo.net/newswire.php?story_id=3664

Post-leftists on crimethinc - http://www.infoshop.org/rants/corpse_last.html

Ramor Ryan on crimethinc - http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/anarchism/writers/ramor/horror.html

Kenn Knabb - http://libcom.org/library/crimethinc-comments-ken-knabb

Food not bombs discussion in relation to empowerment - http://libcom.org/forums/thought/empowerment

Essentially its rooted in an activist mentality where you go out to do something on behalf of people instead of alongside people, a lot of the time fnb doesnt even feed homeless people and doesnt tell people why they're doing it. Good political activity is whatever builds peoples self-activity and confidence. I'm with shorty on this one.

Considering the author is a pedarist and the book is a pile of shite, which tries to divorce anarchism from class struggle and turn it into a mystical cult of self empowerment, yes. Very much so.

In fairness, it doesn't take someone with a bumper collection of overly-verbose, thick-spined books to figure out that Crimethinc is a joke. Wasn't someone from here eager to start their own Crimethinc club or chapter in Dublin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back