Help with some Gaeilge (1 Viewer)

robitusson

11 years of Irish in school left with me with nothing more than "you can't say ta se fear" and "An bhfuil cead agam ag dul go dti an leathreas?".

So a simple sentence like this I need help with:

"Thank you all very much"

is
[FONT=&quot]

"Go raibh míle maith agaibh ar fad." (No fadas needed I think)

Isn't it? :confused:

[/FONT]

11 years of Irish in school left with me with nothing more than "you can't say ta se fear" and "An bhfuil cead agam ag dul go dti an leathreas?".

is
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

That's right.
I think the 'ar fad' makes it 'Thank you all very very much', but it looks kosher to me.

is
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Getting your results tomorrow, Robi?

Too true - Basically because Irish survived only in oral from after about 1650 or so it went completely dialecty

- Then we had an attempt at a standard form badly imposed thro' the school system which we now might term school Irish (think it's based mostly on munster irish) - but its all messy as the few remaining speakers will all be rasied in one of the highly local dialects and the standard form is as dead as a door nail except for the odd attempt to confuse people in a foreign by speaking it when away!

kpx

- you could also say

Táim an bioch diobh

(thats spelled completely wrong of course - I can't spell in any language!)

meaning I'm very thankful to yea (more or less))

Getting your results tomorrow, Robi?
It's for a paper that's gonna be published. Wanna get the spelling right. Flippin' embarrassing that I'm so ignorant of the language after studying it for so long.

It was the agam, agat, aige, ici, bit I couldn't remember which was which. After rattling the thing off endlessly when it comes to an application...clueless.

Thanks anyway.

Flippin' embarrassing that I'm so ignorant of the language after studying it for so long.

Not necessarily - the way its taught - to this day is disgraceful - compare to say French and German at second level and how fast they can be learned. To teach a language thro' grammar rules first is ridiculous!

kpx

Not necessarily - the way its taught - to this day is disgraceful - compare to say French and German at second level and how fast they can be learned. To teach a language thro' grammar rules first is ridiculous!

kpx

Completely. Trying to tell people about the tuiseal ginideach who don't even know what the genitive case means in English makes no sense at all.

Odd question: if I was looking at something from the Freeman's Journal dated July 27, 1922, which is a political type cartoon referencing a "boy gunman" etitled " The New Hero"-- what may this be about? Collins died in August, no? Surely they were not advertising how they planned to kill him? Help. I'm confused. :(

Completely. Trying to tell people about the tuiseal ginideach who don't even know what the genitive case means in English makes no sense at all.

Of course you're talking to some one who just got an A - in second year English from UCD (boast boast) and still hasn't a clue what "the genitive case" is!!
Grammer wouldn't be my strong point in either language...
But its is something you need to get a feel for before you get into the technicalities!

kpx

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back