Help me with Netflix (1 Viewer)

The cheapest fuss free way of getting Netflix on a telly is using a Roku. Amazon have the Roku 1 for £33.99 which is a great price. The cheaper model than that is the Roku LT but Amazon have it for a few pound extra, not sure why. Got an LT for my young nephew a couple of years ago when he was 4 for Netflix and it's dead easy. (To think I was stuck with some VHS tapes of the Care Bears, Ewoks and MJ's Thriller as a young kid, I can't believe the selection kids these days have at their finger tips. *shakes fist at sky*).

Edit, forgot Amazon link: Roku 1 2710EU Streaming Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
It doesn't work with Netflix because it still uses Silverlight, which Chromecast doesn't support.
Generally I'd avoid any of these free VPN browser/smart DNS add-ons. They're essentially mining your traffic and injecting ads.

The Chromecast requires an extra bit of fiddling as Google have hardcoded their DNS servers into the stick. If you subscribe to a paid service like Unotelly/Unblockus, set it up at the router level & block public DNS look-ups, a Chromecast will function across any Netflix territory you select.

Roku vs Chromecast?

I could walk into a shop tomorrow and buy a Chromecast for about 40euro,could I just pick up a Roku? is one easier to set up than the other?

Roku vs Chromecast?

I could walk into a shop tomorrow and buy a Chromecast for about 40euro,could I just pick up a Roku? is one easier to set up than the other?

Chromecast doesn't have a remote control in the traditional sense, it requires you to 'cast' the content from your iPhone/Android/Chrome web browser so there's a bit of a learning curve for non-techies. Roku is a regular set top box with a really basic remote, it's a better experience & you get to browse stuff all the stuff on netflix on your telly. Way more kid friendly than a Chromecast.

I pay for Tunnelbear myself and they don't support routers - yet.

If it's just getting around the geoblocking of video streaming sites you use Tunnelbear, I can recommend UnoTelly. My yearly sub is up for renewal and they've a christmas promo code 'UnoTellyHoliday' that will bring a 1 year sub down to $35.96 which isn't bad. Now I just need to find a blogger/street team shill selling their Netflix promo code on eBay.

Yeah something like a Roku would be by far the easiest thing for you, just get the box and it will plug straight into the TV and should have Netflix preinstalled. Sign up for Netflix on the website then log in on the box, job done. Chromecast is cheaper but you still need to run Netflix off a phone or something which isn't useful for kids.

We run it using an appleTV which is cool for other things too. We were watching the nba channel the other day, and we dip into actual iTunes Store rentals the odd time too.

Tried to set it up last night through the wii. It kept claiming my wifi password was wrong. It's not. and then I have to go do all sorts of other most likely beyond my abilities with the router.

The kids are content for now to watch on a tablet. But since last night my phone won't connect to the wifi for more than 5 mins. I can't help but feel it's related somehow. But have no idea why. It worked absolutely fine up until that point.

Fuck technology.

Bought a chromecast and set that up ,working no problem. Kids are pleased as punch.

(the previous comment from me was that the wifi was working again,not netflix through the wii,just to clarify)

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back