Help me with Netflix (3 Viewers)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Not signed up to it yet,but what do I need to do so? I get lost with all the techno speak side of things?

Can I watch it on the tv through a computer? How do I connect them together if so?

Thanks.

Have you got a HD TV and a modern-ish computer with a HDMI connection? That's one way you can do it right away, provided you've got a spare HDMI cable. Your computer will pop up on a channel just like a DVD player or DVR box or whatever, and you can just run Netflix in your browser and full-screen it. That's also the best way of accessing US Netflix, if you use a VPN service like Tunnelbear.

Another way to do it is to get a Chromecast stick for the TV, but I haven't used one, and you can't use it with a VPN so you'd be stuck with our version of Netflix (which isn't terrible, but the US one has more stuff).

Thanks

To be honest,it's more for the kids,so our version would be fine. I barely watch tv.

What's a VPN?

Presumably from what you are saying,if using the computer-tv way,one person is watching on the tv,the computer is out of action?

Just checked,computer doesn't have hdmi,so that's out for now.So a chromecast stick may be the only way.

What about through a nintendo wii? It says some game consoles are useable.

I'm immediately daunted by the prospects of downloading something from the wii shop. Those things always go wrong for me. (yes I'm that useless with these things)

Might try it later though,although I just realised the wii isn't connected to the internet so I need to figure out that first.

Last edited:
Actually you don't need a VPN to access US Netflix through your browser - there is a Firefox addon called Media Hint that will do that for you.

Thanks

What's a VPN?

It's a Virtual Private Network. Big businesses like Facebook use them all the time to protect their assets and whatnot, but by the average joe they're used to spoof your geographic location so, say, Netflix thinks you're in America and not Ireland so they'll serve you the US films and TV shows (Netflix lets you use your account wherever in the world you happen to be, y'see).

Oh yeah, a good thing about Netflix is that there's a dedicated kids' section when you log in that only lets them watch the children's shows. Presumably there's a parental lockout to keep the kids away from stuff they shouldn't be seeing.

Cool,one of the reasons I was thinking of getting it is the kids keep watching stuff on youtube. It's a dangerous path. I figured having netflix would steer toward more legit programes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back