Hellworld Thread (4 Viewers)

Fascism is coming.
It’s already here. Look at the fucking dopes in Clare blocking asylum seekers from living in a shitty hotel. One of the locals was saying she had objections because she didn’t want a group of 10 asylum seekers standing around intimidating her. Meanwhile there’s a big mob of her lot standing around intimidating asylum seekers.

It’s already here. Look at the fucking dopes in Clare blocking asylum seekers from living in a shitty hotel. One of the locals was saying she had objections because she didn’t want a group of 10 asylum seekers standing around intimidating her. Meanwhile there’s a big mob of her lot standing around intimidating asylum seekers.
I am really angry about this.
racists seem to think asylum seekers who are single men are an easy target for their bigotry.
those racists have brought shame on their community.
how an entire group of people can have so little self awareness is shocking.

vulnerable men get accommodation dead last and even in the housing boom 20 years ago single men made up the vast majority of the homeless and few gave a damn.

I am really angry about this.
racists seem to think asylum seekers who are single men are an easy target for their bigotry.
those racists have brought shame on their community.
how an entire group of people can have so little self awareness is shocking.

vulnerable men get accommodation dead last and even in the housing boom 20 years ago single men made up the vast majority of the homeless and few gave a damn.
Totally agree. And I know everyone jumped down my throat for my comments about the racist boxer but this is where those kind of opinions go when left unchecked. Somehow all asylum seekers are dangerous and need to be driven out. Meanwhile, these bozos are smashing up homeless asylum seekers camps and blocking hotels.

i passed the weekly picket in ballymun yesterday. not sure why they choose the swimming pool to stand outside, given it's the metro hotel where asylum seekers and refugees are housed AFAIK.

Totally agree. And I know everyone jumped down my throat for my comments about the racist boxer but this is where those kind of opinions go when left unchecked. Somehow all asylum seekers are dangerous and need to be driven out. Meanwhile, these bozos are smashing up homeless asylum seekers camps and blocking hotels.

The thing is that the 'checking' is generally STFU racist in todays online social world.
The basis of conflict resolution and mediation generally starts with communications, but as of this morning Holly Cairns is getting STFU racist. I genuinely think this online 'shut down racism' mode operandi is a mechanism to turn people who actually don't have a pre-emptive fully formed view into someone has been isolated for trying to express it.
The way to pre-empt a conflict is to bring both sides on board, as humans for conversation in advance of the conflict. on twitter today, this is a very popular tweet on the topic.

Holly Cairns pandering to the right is not the plot twist we expected

The MO on twitter is to do this slam dunking of people, and that is the exact social mechanism that gives us todays conditions. The approach you are suggesting is already being 'tried'.

She said people weren't communicated with.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Because advance notification brings on early protests and their logic is that it's easier to keep them there against local opposition than it would be to get them there.

Because advance notification brings on early protests and their logic is that it's easier to keep them there against local opposition than it would be to get them there.

There's notification and theres actually engaging - like my opinion is that the word migrant is thrown in for shorthard when largely international protection is the terminolgy we should be dealing with. Knowing the stories of these people and what has happened to make their life such a catastrophe that their life is unliveable where they were born does work. The Co Clare statement actually seperates ukrainians from other international protectiong cases, mostly because we see Ukraine being bombed on the news every day. Humanisation of things is key. Likewise in Co Clare there are a number of voluntary orgs giving support and giving people an 'in' to the area and an idea of the vibe. I don't think standing about shouting at buses is any fucking use at all, but on the same note i dont think 'oh look we found another racist online' is bit of use either.

There's notification and theres actually engaging - like my opinion is that the word migrant is thrown in for shorthard when largely international protection is the terminolgy we should be dealing with. Knowing the stories of these people and what has happened to make their life such a catastrophe that their life is unliveable where they were born does work. The Co Clare statement actually seperates ukrainians from other international protectiong cases, mostly because we see Ukraine being bombed on the news every day. Humanisation of things is key. Likewise in Co Clare there are a number of voluntary orgs giving support and giving people an 'in' to the area and an idea of the vibe. I don't think standing about shouting at buses is any fucking use at all, but on the same note i dont think 'oh look we found another racist online' is bit of use either.

Dean Scurry did some good work in the engagement with locals and IPAs

I live in Pearse st flats half the week with my boyfriend, who’s lived here 40 years. There’s only about 300-400 flats here in total.
When everything was kicking off he went down to join the counter protest and didn’t recognise a single person l, other than a few standing there to protect the refugees.

Last edited:
My reply was meant for Holly, who lurks here.

Mostly in the horn thread.

So I'm told.

Dean Scurry did some good work in the engagement with locals and IPAs

what a kind, sincere, empathetic gent. I don't understand why people don't get all this from the start.

Did they? I know I was kind of comically saying just cancel her, but like actually fuck her saying stupid moronic shit. Must have taken too many batters to the head.
I’m not going back through it but there were a few comments that it was somehow unfair to challenge her on it or that it was gotcha journalism (it wasn’t), or that her boxing success outweighed it (it didn’t), or her background excused it (it doesn’t) . Jumping down my throat is overstating it but it definitely felt quite uncomfortable to me to see a bunch of people that I took as generally being politically on the ball, act like the middle aged white men they actually are. (I still love you, thumped.)

And @ann post - I do understand what you’re getting at (and I’ve been pondering on your posts on this a lot) and I agree that actual engagement is the only way forward but when someone has a worldview where others’ races/genders/sexualities/religions/disabilities fundamentally shouldn’t exist, you’re not going to protect those people through careful dialogue now. You might solve the problem decades down the line but given that we’ve had decades of feminism, and there is still massive inequality and sexism. We also as a society have to live up to the standards we’ve set - everyone is equal, hate is not accepted, and we help those who need it. To me, living up to that standard also means vocally shutting down discussions where the idea of someone’s race being inferior is part of that. It doesn’t mean you don’t also do the meaningful work and have the difficult conversations alongside but you can’t do that for everyone. Your mileage may vary on this but I know where I stand anyway.

not sure where to put this... here's as good a place as any.

bizzarely makes me think of this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back