Health Insurance (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Just knocked €400 quid a year off my health insurance, by switching from VHI Plan B to VHI One Plan. .|..|
Only real difference is that I'll just get 80% cover instead of 100% on hip and knee replacements. Another reason to avoid the "Running" thread!

What surprised me was how surprised many people are when I tell them I have insurance in the first place.

I'm with VHI too but I don't pay PRSI (being self-employed) so I'm not entitled to "free" healthcare.
Having said that, I only joined last year & only cos the missus sorted it out.

I think she was on that Plan B too & had to switch cos they jacked up the price an unbelievable amount.

all i know is it can be cheaper if you ask for it. if it's done through work you're probably already on it.

have you kids on it? there's no such thing as private hospital beds for kids in ireland, so make sure you're not paying more than you need to.

i know nothing about this stuff - these are just a couple of things i've heard on the wireless.

all i know is it can be cheaper if you ask for it. if it's done through work you're probably already on it.

have you kids on it? there's no such thing as private hospital beds for kids in ireland, so make sure you're not paying more than you need to.

i know nothing about this stuff - these are just a couple of things i've heard on the wireless.

No kids, just me. There are options for familes/ couples etc, but they get complicated and confusing apparently.

One Plan is €816 p.a. Explains what is covered here...
http://www.vhi.ie/info/lifestages/productDetails.jsp?key=One_Plan

this cripples me. And not the kind of 'cripples' that having health insurance can help in any way with. Work insist on us having it so they pay for it. But I've to pay premiums for 2 family members. In the last company I worked for I could do this from my pre-taxed salary and save some $$. With the current crowd it comes out after I've been taxed, and it ain't cheap. But I wouldn't have anyone go without it either, not if I can help it. I've got good value for my health insurance down the years (well not me personally, but the others I get it for).

I'm cancelling mine in October once I claim all my refunds back. I've had it for three years and I'd have been better off putting the money into a savings account. This year it has cost me 900e and I've had to shell out 800e in medical and dental fees. So that's 1700 quid I've spent and I'll probably get less than 400 back.

I've had to pay up front to see a dentist or consultant anyway and I can do that without medical insurance.

ETA: By 'I' I mean HMD as he pays for everything :cool:

this cripples me. And not the kind of 'cripples' that having health insurance can help in any way with. Work insist on us having it so they pay for it. But I've to pay premiums for 2 family members. In the last company I worked for I could do this from my pre-taxed salary and save some $$. With the current crowd it comes out after I've been taxed, and it ain't cheap. But I wouldn't have anyone go without it either, not if I can help it. I've got good value for my health insurance down the years (well not me personally, but the others I get it for).

A company insisting on you having it sounds totally illegal - you should send them a written note requesting to be taken off (if you didn't want to continue with their scheme).

The tax issue has changed recently, as all VHI premiums are now deducted from the Net Figure (after you've been taxed). This is because the tax has been taken off at source already. There is usually a discount of about 10% by being a member of a group scheme, as opposed to going out on your own. I learned all this yesterday. Its a killer alright, I'm totally risk averse and would never go without it.

A company insisting on you having it sounds totally illegal - you should send them a written note requesting to be taken off (if you didn't want to continue with their scheme).

well they pay for it. If I was covered elsewhere I could come off it and get the money instead but its not a deduction from salary when they pay - they pay it on top of my salary so can't really be complaining. If I had a spouse and kids they'd pay for their cover too so they're pretty decent about it I reckon. Given I want to have health insurance I'm happy to go along with their imposition, though some in here aren't too pleased about it.

Its just that the other premiums I'm paying are for other family members and they're not covered, which is a bit shit really.

well they pay for it. If I was covered elsewhere I could come off it and get the money instead but its not a deduction from salary when they pay - they pay it on top of my salary so can't really be complaining. If I had a spouse and kids they'd pay for their cover too so they're pretty decent about it I reckon. Given I want to have health insurance I'm happy to go along with their imposition, though some in here aren't too pleased about it.

Its just that the other premiums I'm paying are for other family members and they're not covered, which is a bit shit really.

The company does sound pretty reasonable alright! Thats a bit tough paying for other family members. Never thought of that - people paying for parents etc.

The best possible outcome would be that you have 10-15k sitting in the bank from not paying health insurance

hes married though, isn't he? Hording cash just isn't possible if so. It'd be spent on things like new garden furniture, a patio heater, new doors, new carpet and a new fridge. Essential things like that.

The best possible outcome would be that you have 10-15k sitting in the bank from not paying health insurance

Apparently the statistics would suggest that a man (dunno about women) should be able get away with not taking out health insurance until his mid-40's and come out ahead financially. However he's unlikely to have saved all the premium money so in the event of some sort of catastrophic medical event which the money saved would cover he's probably going to be fucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back