Having the baby at home (1 Viewer)

planned to

but babby went overdue 12 days so it was a no-goer

but everything was set up

surprisingly, got a lot of fuckers telling us we shouldn't do it, doctor friends and the like

My younger brother and sister were both born at home. For my parents and for us it was a very relaxed experience both times.

I was actually in the room when my youngest brother was born. Really cool.

My sister is due her second later in the year and is currently trying to find a midwife willing to assist her in having the child at home. She had a very stressful experience in the hospital with her first.

It's probably not for everyone... but it will certainly be my first preference when the time comes.

We're actually very lucky where we are. Loads of choice in terms of where we can have the baby... the hospital, a maternity unit (near enough to the hospital, but nothing like one) or you can have it at home.

We're looking to do it at home... maybe get a birthing pool as well. Didn't know there's a limit in choices in Ireland. However, in saying all this, the midwife in our town only works one day a week - so it tends to be almost impossible to see her!

seeing as it's your first time billy i would actually recommend the discovery channel as there are heaps of programs about birth and stuff that give you good info on birthing at home or at birthing centres etc.

We're actually very lucky where we are. Loads of choice in terms of where we can have the baby... the hospital, a maternity unit (near enough to the hospital, but nothing like one) or you can have it at home.

We're looking to do it at home... maybe get a birthing pool as well. Didn't know there's a limit in choices in Ireland. However, in saying all this, the midwife in our town only works one day a week - so it tends to be almost impossible to see her!

Remember to keep the stereo away from the birthing pool.

Homebirth sounds good, although I must admit to not having given much thought to having kids nevermind where they would be born.

Homebirth is fine if nothing goes wrong.
Its just that if something does, ie a bleed, or they shift into breech late you can be in a lot of bother very quickly.

What have people got against hospital births? Nosocomial infections and the like? Or just the stress of being away from normality?

Something in between sounds like it would be ok though, near a hospital, with facilities to get the shit untangled from the fan etc.

Although at least when you're at home you can stick on the stereo during the labour.No such option in The Coombe.

We were offered a radio in Hollis Street, seemed very surreal at the time

"uh... why? do you think we'll need one?"

Something in between sounds like it would be ok though, near a hospital

hospital carpark?

Something in between sounds like it would be ok though, near a hospital, with facilities to get the shit untangled from the fan etc.

That's what a maternity unit is. Quite handy really. But we're going to be ten minutes from the hospital, so I reckon we'll be okay.

Either way, we can book the home birth now and we can change our minds. If we don't book a home birth, then we don't have a choice closer to the big day.

That's what a maternity unit is. Quite handy really. But we're going to be ten minutes from the hospital, so I reckon we'll be okay.

Either way, we can book the home birth now and we can change our minds. If we don't book a home birth, then we don't have a choice closer to the big day.

That's what I meant. I was going to go back and look at what you wrote, but, you know. Lazy. And things.

I mean, 10 minutes (maybe) is ok if you know something is obviously wrong. But, if you dont, and you dont really have a reference point to compare against, it might be too late before you realise. Sort of thing.

Like... I mean, if it goes breech, and the chord is wrapped around the neck, or soemthing... I dunno, how to you tell? When you see the arse coming out? Cause, then it's too late. 10 minutes is way too late.

I dont know. I am thinking worst case scenario all the time. Maybe I should just relax thefukin Kax.
Humans are pretty good at banging out sprogs. And Jo comes from a long line of mothers who had perfect babies, so who knows.

I am just not clear about what there is to be gained from having it at home... is it just the reasons I said above? Or is there something that I am missing.

The restrictions are'nt as evident when you're actually in the the labour ward; as everyones focused soley on the birth itself. We got lucky, as missus went in to labour early on a weekday and was in hospital by 11.30. We ended up with our own room, comforts etc, but were'nt really expecting them.

Not to put your hairs up; but picture a worst case scenario ( and be practical, else you'll end up shitting yourself) and take stock of the ameinites, services and facilities you'd need. If they're available to you outside of a hospital than there's no reason not to have a home birth. Otherwise; Look forward to a crowded ward, lots of noise and not having a second to spare until the nipper's birthed and bedded. Thats as tough as it gets.But it wont be that tough on the day. It's all in the game.

Is your lady using an epidural? No? You're fucking crazy.

I'm no fan of water births either. The hippies might love it; but new wave has no place in reliable practice. Especially with nippers. Fuck it; they've had nine months, get em out, get em in the air, playtimes over you little fucker...

Keep it as simple as you can. If you ar'nt sure of gains regarding water births than dont go for it. And, most importantly:

She's right. Whatever she says is right. Even if she's wrong. She's right. Right?

I have seen a fairly convincing arguments that its easier for the mother to give birth without epidural. The contractions work better etc apparently. With the epidural its possible that the body just doesn't really know what's going on, so certain queues / responses dont go through properly.

But, I have heard that having a child can sting a bit. So... yeah. I dunno.

I have seen a fairly convincing arguments that its easier for the mother to give birth without epidural. The contractions work better etc apparently. With the epidural its possible that the body just doesn't really know what's going on, so certain queues / responses dont go through properly.

But, I have heard that having a child can sting a bit. So... yeah. I dunno.

Were any mothers present?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back