Harsh Musical Truths (1 Viewer)

I'd rather listen to something i've had for years than anything new.

I make playlists with obscure songs i don't particularly like just in case someone cool sees them.

Harsh Musical Youth?
115482049.jpg

Mix-tapes mean so much more to the giver than the receiver. It took me about 15 years and about 40 C90s to cop on to this.

I only ever made a few. I used to include questionnaires for the recipient to fill in so that I could find out exactly what they thought of each song, marks out of 10 etc. Nobody ever filled them in so I stopped bothering.

I am literally dumbfounded by the weak melodic construction of most current music.

And don't get me started on the piss poor powers of harmonic invention on display in a lot of what passes for popular music currently.

In fact, musicians are pretty much the last people you should ask anything about music.

Or anything else for that matter.

All artists and musicians are solipsistic, selfish and deluded.

The internet has not made music any better.

Music as we know it will cease to exist within the next 3 generations, and you will most likely be alive to see this happen.

When in a record shop, a good 50% of the stuff I look at are albums I already have and like.
I just spend half an hour in Hmv in Toronto doing this very thing. Ended up buying a steely dan album and an adventure time comic.

Mix-tapes mean so much more to the giver than the receiver. It took me about 15 years and about 40 C90s to cop on to this.

I disagree on this, though it seems you were making them with gay abandon. I've received a few and they are absolutely treasured, and the handful I've made, I think, were treasured. I also have an unrequited love (which I've gotten over) who badgers me to make her cds so she can hear new/obscure music. So long as the recipient is a music lover, I think the receiver enjoys the cds/tapes just as much. The 2013 equivalent is posting a song on someone's Facebook wall. And it works just as well. "Who are The Roches?????.....this Hammond Song is AMAZEBALLS". :D

I disagree on this, though it seems you were making them with gay abandon. I've received a few and they are absolutely treasured, and the handful I've made, I think, were treasured. I also have an unrequited love (which I've gotten over) who badgers me to make her cds so she can hear new/obscure music. So long as the recipient is a music lover, I think the receiver enjoys the cds/tapes just as much. The 2013 equivalent is posting a song on someone's Facebook wall. And it works just as well. "Who are The Roches?????.....this Hammond Song is AMAZEBALLS". :D

yeah but no one's mixtapes are ever as good as mine : (

There are two kinds of mixes and both more often than not mean more to the creator than to the receiver. There is the mix you make to introduce someone into music they might not know, this usually results in more of a miss than a hit because you are sharing your tastes. Like lending someone a book or film you love and the other person not enjoying it on your level of excitement. Ultimately, you feel let down in some weird way. I've actually stopped recommending things to people and/or making these types of mixes because there is no point. The second is the theme mix, which songs are chosen for a very specific reason. I've spent countless hour crafting these over the years, making covers, etc. Usually, the person receiving them has no clue of the time and effort and tosses them aside after a listen or is oblivious to the subtle (or not so subtle) message. Mix tapes are like therapy in a way. Do it for yourself, if you do it for someone else you'll never fully get the positive affect you're after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back