Happy Birthday (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Well that's that, then. Three years old. I hope you're all are getting as much fun out of this as I am.

There's not much else to say, so here's some numbers*
[unorder=square][#]As of now, there's been a total of 85,888 visitors to thumped.com

[#]When the site started I was happy if the daily traffic got into double figures - nowadays, a normal weekday sees about 150 people visting, with weekends at about half that. Not exactly huge numbers in interweb terms...

[#]Tuesday is the busiest day of the week & Saturday is the slowest.

[#]Busiest hour of the day is 1pm - 2pm. Ahh.. sweet, sweet lunchtime.

[#]The top referring site is The Evil Gerald with 7.45% of all referred visitors coming from there. Thanks chaps!

[#]The top five words used in search engine queries leading here are 'music', 'free', 'irish', 'downloads', 'thumped', 'punk', 'underground', 'sound', 'thumpedcom' & 'wwwthumpedcom'

[#]19.54% of you are using Netscape; 79.84% are using Internet Explorer; "Other" browsers account for 0.60%

[#]89.44% of you are on Windows; Mac users a paltry 6.80% (hello anthony and pantone); Unix only gets 1.20%; Other weirdos 2.54%
[/unorder]

And if I can think of any other boring facts i'll post them here too.

Edit: jesus i knew there was something else i was meant to have added to this: a big thank you to the people who've been helping out over the years - you know who you are. All the people who wrote stuff; the people who gave permission to use their music or photos.... and a special big thanks to the people who sent messages of support like "pete - that looks like shit", "pete - that font looks like a bra advert", "pete - that still looks like shit".

You guys rule.

[1]* These numbers only reflect people who enter the site through http://www.thumped.com cos that's the only one with the hit counter on. Each visitor is tracked by IP address, and is counted once and once only per day.[/1]

Le billygannonarie (20 Jan, 2002 08:43 p.m.):
And 66.59% of visits were under 1 minute..... I usually spend hours in here...

well first off, them statistics you're looking at have been broken for almost a year - actually they only (barely) worked for one week, which is why i use a different one (extreme tracking)... plus the message board is hosted on a different server, so the webtrends stat counter thing - on the NT server - can't see it... basically i wouldn't be relying on them so i wouldn't...

and a special big thanks to the people who sent messages of support like "pete - that looks like shit", "pete - that font looks like a bra advert", "pete - that still looks like shit".

Um...I think I said all those things....

Pete, this Thumped business is all very well - a grand lark, a useful resource and all of that.

But think how much MONEY you could be making. That's real MONEY, human MONEY.

Look at it this way: every week, a lot of people spend a lot of time posting to the Thumped forum. Now most of the people who post here regularly are people sitting in offices who, like myself, are not really getting paid for this class of thing.

Thus, from the point of view of our employers, the time we spend on Thumped represents a loss of productivity. So far, so obvious.

Now let's assume we all get paid an average of €15 per hour. The boy Marx taught us about the surplus value of our labour so let's add on, say, an extra €5 per hour to represent the surplus our employers should be making on our toiling flesh. That means the loss of productivity is more like €20 per hour.

So €20 is lost per person, per hour spent on Thumped. Assuming that, say, 50 people spend an hour a day on Thumped, that's €1000 per day. That's €5000 per working week!

Are you with me, Pete? Do you see where I'm coming from here? Now listen up - I'm going to make you rich!

YOU are responsible for leaking €5000 per week, or €260,000 per year from the national economy. Nice.

But here's the fun bit: get yer stats together, collect them in a report and go public with this. The Evening Herald would seem to be the logical place to launch the first salvo. Then just sit back and wait...

Wait...

Wait...

Then along will come the tidal wave of media babble: Pat Kenny up in arms, Marion Finnucane whining at a glass-shatteringly high C#, some moustachioed geezer from IBEC cranking out his windy protestations on "Questions and Answers". And so forth.

Then there'll be the papers, Pete:

"CULT WEBSITE BARON HOLDS NATIONAL ECONOMY TO RANSOM"

"I.T. WHIZZ KID SUCKS SMALL FIRMS DRY"

"HERE'S THE MAN WHO MADE YOU REDUNDANT"

And so forth.

Once the publicity has been whipped up to fever pitch, all you need to do is get on the blower.

"Get McCreevy on the line," you'll say to your secretary.

"McCreevy," will say McCreevy.

"Brady here, Charlie," you could say, in a properly distasteful tone. "You've seen the reports, you've heard the talk, Charlie, I'm your worst nightmare. I'm the avenging angel of capitalism, Charlie, the Peter Pan of the PPP. Now let's talk business, baby. You pay me one half of that lost productivity money you've been reading about and I'll take Thumped offline. Simple as that.

Talk to me Charlie. How's about it, Charlemagne? 130 big ones, that's all it would cost. Think of the political collateral, the Sunday spreads. You'd be seen to kick that gang of 50 butt-wastin' scroungers back into line and get this country back on its feet. What's it to be then, Chuckster? Talk to me, money boy."

(I'll take €10.52 in consultation fees, by the way.)

-----------------------------------

I feel like I should say something Anne, but don't quite know what.

Em. Well done.

Anne O'Malley (21 Jan, 2002 01:51 p.m.):
Pete, this Thumped business is all very well - a grand lark, a useful resource and all of that.

But think how much MONEY you could be making. That's real MONEY, human MONEY.
quote]

This is big Anne. This is real big. I don't 'small' big here, like Giant Haystacks or Big Daddy. No, this is Geoff Capes big. This is China big. I'm, talkin' about the really big big here.

To get the € on a pc:

Press AltGr 4,
or
Press CTRL ALT 4
or
Type ALT 0128

on a mac, you buy a daycent computer with a proper keyboard arf arf arf

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back