Hallelujah (1 Viewer)

thought about it, but for 70 euro? nay. thinking about it, Cohen's later stuff is difficult to listen to. It has zero emotion and, ironically, is terribly dated compared to his early stuff.

and the Point/Gavin Friday/the rest...

I did consider it though.

that's better. must've been drunk momentarily.

but yeah, JimCorr - fair point. the lyrics are great. but I think overall that just doesnt cut it. the music is bland.

it's the deadly intro and long note at the end that puts buckley above all the rest imo - including the partysingerchancers like me who do it - i try to cover my vocal limitations of course by going - ''that was the leonard cohen version''. ahem. damn my testicles.

Buckleys version is based on cales one. and buckleys one is comp'd together from two different takes but i can really hear the join. the live version where in does a bit of "i know its over" is chilling -

"Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed
Oh well. Enough said.
I know it's over - still I cling
I don't know where else I can go
Oh ...
Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
See, the sea wants to take me"

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagits

I think jeff buckley's version is the best I've heard, although I haven't heard John Cale's. Jeff Buckley's lilac wine is a knock off of Nina Simone's version, so I'd be disappointed if his version of haleblahblah was a knock off too.

Still good though.

mr. cohen (with the first lyrics), then john cale. i like rufus but his hallelujah is overblown, so, no.

and i just find jeff buckley's really fake, like he's wringing every bit of emotion out of it. it seemed really impressive when i was about 15, which hasn't been an auspicious rating for anything else either. totally kills the song d-e-d.

so cohen does the best version yeah?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

look out for the leaves and the people behind the arches!!!:cool:

so cohen does the best version yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI

Jeesus! was the autocue not working properly, he's got the delivery and charm of a channel 5 weatherman!

Anyone who knows me knows I've generally no truck with herr cohen but I was beginning to warm to a couple of songs, that's set me on the path to righteousness again though, grimalicious.

edit: someone take the backing band to the glue factory too.

Buckleys version is based on cales one. and buckleys one is comp'd together from two different takes but i can really hear the join. the live version where in does a bit of "i know its over" is chilling -

"Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed
Oh well. Enough said.
I know it's over - still I cling
I don't know where else I can go
Oh ...
Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
See, the sea wants to take me"

Listen to the words of Nightmares by The Sea on Sketches for My Sweetheart for creepy..."Stay with me under these waves tonight"...and another line that's something like "I've loved so many times and I've drowned them all"

Listen to the words of Nightmares by The Sea on Sketches for My Sweetheart for creepy..."Stay with me under these waves tonight"...and another line that's something like "I've loved so many times and I've drowned them all"

Oo-ee-oo... !ninjaaaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back