Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drive Back

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
I've been thinking about guitar solos all morning and thought it might be fun to pick out neil young's best guitar soloing songs - ones where he plays guitar solos, not acoustic ballads he sings on his own. i could stick a poll in.... In my head he mostly just plays guitar solos but looking through his discography only these ones seemed worthy of inclusion on my list:

Like A Hurricane
Cortez The Killer
Change Your Mind
Cow Girl In The Sand
Scenery
Rockin' in the Free World
Love To Burn
Love and Only Love
Slip Away

the last two could be said to be barrel scrapings... what am i missing? dangerbird isnt really a soloy song is it?

Trainspotter.png

Change Your Mind, it's one long solo with some words stuck in

one of my favorites. i dont understand why more people dont rate sleeps with angels among NY's very best albums. sure it has a few patchy songs but all his albums do. the soloing on Change your mind is beyond reproach, very subtle and unscreechy. this one is already on the list.

also, the melody is beautiful, the harmonies on the choruses are some of the finest of his career and its one of the few albums of his where the lyrics feel like more than mindless schoolboy rhyming nonsense.

I like the solo in Cinnamon girl, pretty much D played on the B string and the open D string (the high E tuned to D) in unison and bending the B in and out of tune and hanging on it for a bars....

you can even hear in the background of the first few bars someone go "woo!" which only adds to the deadly going on there...

is that your favorite solo of his? i really dont know if i can choose. I reckon Weld must be the best NY album for guitar wig outs, that version of Cortez the killer is amazing.

it's good, but don't know if it's my favourite...

I have a big soft spot for the cod-reggae ending of Cortez one Live Rust, though I've been told repeatidly it's awful :)

There' s some great solos on Live Rust, Sedan Delivery when it drops to half speed has these great high notes squealling out, then picks pack up to punk rock speed and out...

i love sedan delivery! were you at the point in 1996 when he played with crazy horse? a slightly disappointing gig i felt (it took a few broken arrow tunes for him to warm up a bit - wtf!?) but he redeemed himself towards the end by playing sedan delivery and dangerbird.

not mad on live rust at all though. whats the year of the horse like?

nah I've never seen him live, missed the chance in 2001 or so, with Crazy Horse for 50 quid in The Point... 2 years later it's 100 and something in Vicar street... no thanks... really hope I get to see the Horse before... y'know... they're not around anymore

I've only seen the film Year of the Horse, which is great, saw it one Christmas in the IFI still drunk from the night before... never been able to find it on DVD.... it's an amazing film, cuts between 68 footage to modern day stuff seemlessly

Live Rust was one of the first Neil CDs I got, so I'm pretty biased, also I got the DVD around the time my daughter was born so I'd up at the crack of dawn with her and stick on Live Rust, good times

cool. that one in the point in 2001 was only ok. he was giving it loads of socks but the selection of songs wasnt great:

Don't Cry No Tears / I've Been Waiting For You / Love And Only Love / Piece Of Crap / Goin' Home / Hold You In My Arms / From Hank To Hendrix / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Pocahontas / After The Gold Rush / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Standing In The Light Of Love / Gateway Of Love / Rockin' In The Free World(aborted) / Hey Hey, My My / Like A Hurricane // Cinnamon Girl / Fuckin' Up

it was only £35, i paid £45 to a tout. ive seen him 4 times, my favorite was probably slane in 93 - maybe coz i was young and impressionable.

I'm sort of afraid he won't tour anymore now, what with the brain thing and all that... but here's hoping... also here's hoping it won't be 200 bills or something crazed...

whats the dealy with the new record... all sounds a bit strange, the Chrome Dreams II bit... is it leccy or acoustic...

Wiki says...

On August 15, 2007, Neil played a new album for 100 people at Reprise Records entitled Chrome Dreams II. (Chrome Dreams was an album Neil scrapped back in 1977, and was the name of 2 different bootlegs.") The new album runs 60+ minutes and includes two giant songs that time in at 18:30 and 13:00, respectively. Drawing from three songs written previously, and 7 new songs it is said "the latest Neil Young is a very diverse recording." It appears from those who heard it (although not officially stated) that the classic and longest unreleased song "Ordinary People" is on the cut. There is a new section on Young's site entitled "N Y Times" and features additional news. The album is set to be released October 16, 2007, followed by a 7 week tour starting October 13, hence the reason for the Archives Vol. 1 delay until, according to Rolling Stone, February 14, 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back