guitar playing ailment (1 Viewer)

Lord Damian

wasn't sure if this was a lifestyle thing or not, but tough titty.

just recently i've noticed a lump of (??bone?? mineral buildup?? fuck knows) forming on the top of the knuckle that attaches my thumb to the rest of my hand...this is my fretting hand, and as a bass player i imagine my thumb would get a fair workout anyways, let alone the fact that i play about 20 hours a week (and that's a week with no gigs). should i be worried? is there anything that can be done? does anyone know what the hell this is? ever experience it? what's the meaning of life? where do babies come from?

I'm in a kinda similar situation. I have double-jointed thumbs and so my left thumb's joint gets really pressed in against the guitar neck. As a result I've got a bit of a callous around there. "I'm not a doctor" but I imagine its nothing to worry about .

I have this weird thing with my thumb where every once in a while it starts to tremor ever so slightly and move from side to side uncontrollably. Fucking freaked me out for ages!!! Thought I had some kind of neurological disorder or something.

The doc, who was young and fresh in the job, full of energy and enthusiasm, told me that the tendons had atrophied and had become inflamed. She gave me an anti-inflammatory cream and told me to apply it for about 2 months and it eventually went away. Scared the shit out of me though.

Basic wear and tear stuff I guess. A mate of mine had to get some kind of laser surgery on the tendons in his hand due to excessive amounts of guitar playing.

That was his excuse anyway.

huh. Atrophied tendons eh?
I got that, but it was when I was doing a fair bit of rock climbing. My thumb or a bit of my forearm would start freaking out. I also got it in my legs after races or time trials or tough spins.
I always thought it was just muscle going into spasm.

huh. Atrophied tendons eh?
I got that, but it was when I was doing a fair bit of rock climbing. My thumb or a bit of my forearm would start freaking out. I also got it in my legs after races or time trials or tough spins.
I always thought it was just muscle going into spasm.

Does your arm start feeling like it's shaking uncontrollably but it doesn't look like it's even movingand the skin feels reaaaly tight ? That always happens me after a good aul rock climbing session, I just put it down to my arms being pumped out though.:confused:

It's probably a callous, I've one on either hand about from holding paddles also on my feet from rubbing on the inside of my playboat. It's nothing to worry about . :)

Don't think you can do anything about.

nope, not a callous - it's the top part of my knuckle which doesn't come in contact with anything...so mysterious.

nope, not a callous - it's the top part of my knuckle which doesn't come in contact with anything...so mysterious.

Just before it reaches the hand, sort of on the bone under the skin? Does it not come into contact with the neck of your bass?

I don't mean the same sort of callous like you get on the tips of you fingers on the skin.

Just before it reaches the hand, sort of on the bone under the skin? Does it not come into contact with the neck of your bass?

I don't mean the same sort of callous like you get on the tips of you fingers on the skin.
i'll have to take a picture of it i guess, side by side with my right hand for comparison sake. it's off the hook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back