guests and lurkers - why won't you register? (1 Viewer)

c'mon - things/gigsmart? they's completely different animals. i know TYM seems cliquey but it actually is open to anyone that wants to get involved in raising awareness of independent music in ireland. and as for back slappery on thumped its not confined to TYM folk, sure people are hardly going to spend all day on a public forum deconstructing each gig/record that's released. i've heard plenty of people's real opinions in the real world and given my own to people's faces that i wouldn't stick up here. it'd be constructive to have them anonymous reviews here sometime. preferably with better comments than x are shite.

Originally posted by Unregistered
the irony is, Settler are shit and he's been playing keyboard for years.

How's that ironic? I've been playing piano for 25 years , doesn't mean that my band is any good

(my band is good though, just trying to make a point like ... then again I think Settler are good too so what do I know)

Fair play. That's an honest, constructive enough expression of why you don't like settler. Don't feel guilty. As if, eh?

The bit about 'As if they used to rock, but then...' would make sense to me if we did ever really rock. Truth is was never the thing...(If anything settler has been getting heavier...but anyhoo.)
Da rock? heh. Heard that before.

Again, what you say makes sense if you're not into what settler do... I'm not about to go on the defensive. Fuck that for a lark.

;)

a bellyful of responsibility and ordinarity

If someone was making music that expressed this I'd love to hear it ... still reaching for something extraordinary despite years of being ground down by ordinariness. 'Staring at machines' does to a certain extent I guess ... maybe you'll like Settler when you're older, kid

(the critic don't sound like Billy to me, could be wrong though)

Originally posted by egg_
If someone was making music that expressed this I'd love to hear it ... still reaching for something extraordinary despite years of being ground down by ordinariness. 'Staring at machines' does to a certain extent I guess ... maybe you'll like Settler when you're older, kid

(the critic don't sound like Billy to me, could be wrong though)

seriously - listen to slayer or some power electronics or something and stop being a total puss. selling a band on being boring, levelheaded, unexciting?!
the fuck?!?!?! unless i completely missed whatever point you were making.

although this is thumped - the place where people have long drawn out discussions about what type of fuckin earplugs they wear at their not actually loud at all gigs.

andrew

ps - i've never actually heard settler.

you wouldn't like it randy

but there's the thing, no band's music is for everyone, is it?

to the rest of you anonymous posters - if you don't like it that's your privelege

but guess what, it's also my privelege to stick my middle finger up and say sit and rotate

oh and settler has nothing to do with thumped, by the way

guests and lurkers why won't you register....duh I tink it's beecaws setlur are shit duh

dorks

Personally, I respect the likes of Settler (and other bands on this forum) for getting up off their arses and putting their music into the public domain..

The people who criticise such acts do not seem to have any music of their own to show us....

nobody in here has the right to say "this band is crap or that band is crap" etc etc

I'm with Wicker here.... all these critics: have they ever released anything.....?? So Settler are crap? Look forward to hear *their* bands.

Also, if all the bands of Thumped/Things are so bad, why do you bother to read this board?

Originally posted by snakybus
Sorry boys but I disagree - this is a public forum, and they can say whatever the fuck they like.
True but there's no reason why they shouldn't be nice, constructive critics have always been welcome here. What do you accomplish by saying that a band is shite?

furry muff,
whatever.

I respect what you say but it really duddint matter...no more than what I say.
It's true what I read once, winning an argument here on the internet is like winning a special olympics medal. Not nice to the athletes, but true.

It's like everyone comes on here and all of a sudden they have super fuckin powers. Dastardly deeds of cleverness...snide egotism and bravado ...all belying what they're really like to meet....nice folks. T'shockin so it is. :rolleyes:

They say if you don't like America then get the hell out. Well, I hate the internet, but I'm staying man! I'm staying for the little guy! yeah!! aagh! aaaaagh!!

Ok I'm done. feeling frisky now.
sexual, almost.

It was destructive, not constructive, hence the guilt. to be constructive I would have said something like "Settler need to vent some spleen into their music to take it beyond emotional mediocrity" etc etc. Like giving constructive ideas on how Settler might change their direction a bit to improve on their sound... and shit like that. All I did was say Settler are shit in a verbose fashion.

but this is the sort of shite I'd be spouting if I registered... which is why this thread is still about guests and lurkers not registering and not about the virtues of Settler.

And when you look at it, who am I to criticise Settler? I mean, it's not like I ever released an album. And until I do, I'm not qualified to comment on anybody's music, because I'm much lower in the musical hierarchy.
In fact, it turns out that a couple of decades of listening passionately to all types of music, playing and composing for my own enjoyment and possessing a firm understanding of structure and intangible concepts such as innovation, imagination, experimentation and conservation - all profoundly entwined, in differing quantities, in every piece of good music... ever - doesn't mean anything. In the same way that you can't criticise an egg until you've laid one. doesn't matter if it tastes like shit.

When I listen to music, all I'm hearing is the actual *sound*, whereas if I had achieved as much as this band I would be able to sense the effort that went into it and the great achievement that it is. Apparently, this means that the band is better than I can perceive as a mere aural receptacle. So I am truly sorry for attempting to judge Settler from my disadvantaged point of view. I promise to keep my head down for a while so everybody can tell me to fuck off and massage egos back into place.
Of course you have the right to have opinions!

Your knowledge of music, 10 years listening, etc. do allow you to say that you don't like a band why you don't, that's just discussion and there's nothing wrong with it.

When you say a band is shit though, there are many more implications: maybe this band has been playing and song-writing forever and worked their asses off to release an album, go on tour, etc. think how they'd feel if told they're shit! And why should you do that? Just shut up... unless you want to give them some valuable feedback (back to constructive critics).

In other words, you can definitely say you don't like a band but, even if you hate their music, you must respect their work
This means you can't just come out and say "They're shit" if you never did anything of what they did.

Just be nice, does it take so much!?

As an entity, a band creates music. It uses many processes to do this. If the music is shit, then the band is shit. they can be very hardworking and really dedicated and whatever... but they are only the measure of their music.
the actual people in the band may be great, but the band is shit if its music is shit.
That's true. But why do you feel the need to tell them or worse post it on a public board? What about a nice PM like "saw your gig last night, if you don't mind me saying there's room for improvement here, here, and there", at least it might help

three reasons:
1. Because I'm a cunt
Well... fair enough :D

Seriously, you're free post and think what you like, no worries. I was just trying to make a point: I do agree there are some dreadful bands around so I understand. I just don't see why I should piss people off with nasty comments on the board :confused:

However, do as you like!

:) A.

hi, morello?
hey i think you should

1. stop posting your redcording diary, noone gives a flying shit.
2. wear tracksuits on stage.
3. die
4. get sponsorship. how about morello: sporsored by adidas?
5. die
but.... but.... I *love* you, I really do... why?
:)

Originally posted by Alex
I'm with Wicker here.... all these critics: have they ever released anything.....?? So Settler are crap? Look forward to hear *their* bands.

Also, if all the bands of Thumped/Things are so bad, why do you bother to read this board?

Because to be able to criticise music one must have created it and performed it in public and also recorded it right?

You can go into long winded arguments about why don't don't like some music or simply say "I think its shite", both are equally effective.

And so begins the flame section of the post, that was the most stupid comment I've ever read on thumped, no wait, the internet, no wait, read ever anywhere including books, magazines, newspapers, pamphlets or read on a TV screen, no wait its simply the most stupid thing I have ever experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back