Great live albums (1 Viewer)

117661_0_f.jpg

B000025JW0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

=Hot_Snakes_%2522Thunder_Down_Under%2522.jpg

ledzepp4.jpg
200px-Hall_Oates_Live_at_Apollo.jpg

Can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet

url

I love live & dangerous aswell but wasn't there questions over the actual live-ness of the album. Lots of parts re-recorded after the fact.

From Wikipedia

Live and dangerous was originally meant to be a studio album. Together with Tony Visconti they had a huge success with they previous album Bad Reputation, and the group wanted to work with him again. But since Visconti had a very tight schedule Phil Lynott came up with the idea that they spend two weeks together compiling a live album instead. After they had decided which track they were going to use Lynott asked if they could re-record some vocals due to technical issues. After spending some time overdubbing various bits noticing the impact on the result they enden up re-recording all the vocals, guitars and bass. So the only real live elements of Live and Dangerous is the drums and the audience. Visconti justified this by stating that every track was performed before a live audience. The exception being Southbound which was taken from a sound check onstage in Philadelphia [1]
Other sources state that although the finished album contains overdubbing, it is claimed that it is "75% live".

It's alive by the Ramones is great aswell. I love the way there's no gaps between some the songs.

on the sleeve notes for the live and dangerous dvd, it pretty much implies most of it was recorded in the studio.
story went, philo re-recorded his vocals first, and the rest were like, 'balls to that, if he's getting to that, so are we!"

dunno what visconti means by each instrument being performed before a live audience unless he means him in in the studio with some cardboard cut outs constitutes a live audience

i never "got" damien dempsey until I heard his live album

It's really impressive the way the audience basically sing the lead vocal.

But I still don't like his stuff. There's no hooks in the music, the melodies are bad and the lyrics are bone headed.

Still...fair play to him.

It's really impressive the way the audience basically sing the lead vocal.

But I still don't like his stuff. There's no hooks in the music, the melodies are bad and the lyrics are bone headed.

Still...fair play to him.

fair play

what about live albums that arent just a good concert recording but are actually a brand new album of new songs? nobody mention any jazz albums. i know neil young had a few - time fades away etc but i cant think of many other examples. i think van der graaf generators recent one might have been better had they used live versions instead of slightly flat sounding studio ones

YouTube - Van Der Graaf Generator - Interference Patterns - 29/3/2008

Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead (1971)

aka Skullfuck

is an example of what you refer to.

ace.

rockin'

also the LP simply entitled O Riada.

Yeah it has such a great "live" feel to it. I love the way the audience react to Sean O Se's amazing singing on "The "Melodious Fairy Mound of Bruff"!

Its his only album I own, apart from Mise Eire, which isn't bad to go to sleep to.

Must check out O Riada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back