Grammar question? (1 Viewer)

broken arm

you know compound subjects...

can they always be treated as either singular or plural?

e.g. a set of tricks, trinkets and stuff HAS been developed... or should it always be have been developed?

school yea!

e.g. a set of tricks, trinkets and stuff HAS been developed... or should it always be have been developed?

school yea!

The set is the subject so I would say has.

school yea!

I think it's have because you are talking about more than one set of objects. But then, I'm only a music teacher...I know shit all about grammar!

another example....
the team has developed a new toy
or the team have developed a new toy.

they both seem right to me...

I think it's have because you are talking about more than one set of objects. But then, I'm only a music teacher...I know shit all about grammar!

my confusion is that when you call it a set does that not make it singular? or a compund whatsit?

Should I use a singular or a plural verb with collective nouns such as 'government', 'committee', and 'family'?

Such nouns are used to refer both to a whole group as a singular entity, and to the members of the group. The context may therefore require flexibility: you might write:
  • The committee has now come to a decision.
but you could hardly use a singular verb in
  • The committee have now taken their seats.
(A pedant might insist on writing 'The members of the committee have now taken their seats.')
In some contexts it is natural and idiomatic to use a plural verb with a noun which is singular in form:

mmm ok

another example....
the team has developed a new toy
or the team have developed a new toy.

they both seem right to me...

It's 'the team HAS developed a new toy'.

If the team were say disagreeing (ie. acting as individuals) then the plural verb (have) would apply.

It's 'the team HAS developed a new toy'.

If the team were say disagreeing (ie. acting as individuals) then the plural verb (have) would apply.

but in the first sentence.. because I listed the units of the set (collective noun) should it be have?

So the US commentators are correct after all? "Manchester United wins the game by 4 goals to 1"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back