good, relatively portable multitrack recorders? (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
asking this for a mate who doesn't have/like using a computer for recording...

he was looking at the boss br1200, but as far as I can see, it can only record onto two tracks simultaneously. seems a little shit to me, especially for what, about €800.

having a distinct preference for computers myself, I know nothing about what would be out there under this general category! anyone have any suggestions? I think anything up to €800 would be considered reasonable if it were relatively functional...

thanks. d :)

How many tracks at once does he want?
Will it be working with an external mixer, or does he want it to do all his mic preamping too?
Does he need to mix on it too?
What kinda stuff will he be recording?

thanks for the link egg_, might be a good idea to look for something second hand. how many tracks at once is that machine?

redtape: it'll be used for vocals and acoustic guitar, for the most part anyway. maybe electric, bass and possibly drums here and there as well. I think he has a basic behringer notepad mixer but I'd imagine something with it's own preamps would definitely be preferable.

tracks at once... i guess the more the merrier of course, although I know that's gonna have to be limited to some degree. however, I'd consider 2 tracks at once a little too limiting. I have an ancient fostex digital four track at home, and even that records two tracks simultaneously. I guess something like four simultaneous tracks would be approaching something a little more flexible; there are two guys in the band, so something like that could be useful for capturing a live performance.

I think one cool thing about the boss, (and it might well be a feature on all standalone multitracks now), is the ability to backup onto cd-r. I assume that it's possible to port backed up work onto a computer, and mix it there... in which case onboard effects and a mad eq wouldn't be particularly essential.

thanks again folx!

Hey, I have a boss br532 digital four track i am looking to get rid of for about 120euro. it might be a bit smaller than your looking for since it is only a four track but if your interested let me know. i was going to stick an add for it up in the gear section but i saw this and thought you might be intereted.

Yep the vs1680 will record 8 tracks at once, has 16 tracks in total (plus about a zillion virtual tracks). Can backup onto CD-R too, though you have to (or you used to have to) use a compatible standalone burner, dunno how easy they are to get. Can't port backed-up stuff to computer for mixing (it backs up in a proprietary format, not wav), but it does have digital outputs you can use for transferring stuff across. A lot of the Stoat album was recorded on one of these and subsequently transferred to Pro-Tools

Hey,
check it out.
just posted and then read your post (in hindsight i would have written E800, damn!)

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=53834

drkdrk
user_online.gif

NKOTB

AW16G Multitrack
Yamaha AW16G Multitrack recorder.
Very good condition except the rec button is a bit sticky but this doesn't cause any real problems that i've found.
would be perfect for recording demos.
and to sweeten the deal i'll throw in a few cheap mics to get you started.

Sound on Sound review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...amahaaw16g.asp

I'm thinkin around E300 but make me an offer.

cheers,
D

Zoom MRS1608 Give this one a look. Fantastic machine I have been using for about a year. Check out the review on the soundonsound website. Pound for pound it's one of the biggest hitters in terms of features and ease of use and it's totally self contained so you can get some quality recordings with very little extra equiptment (e.g. just a mic and lead should do it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back