Going Vegetarian (1 Viewer)

mackle

I am trying to going vegetarian at the minute. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for really getting going at it cause everytime I try to do it I always end up eating meat. I dont really wanna restrict my diet to eating carrots and peas everynight so any websites with really good recipies would be cool

www.vegsoc.org or www.vegetarian.ie

Ciaran Mackle said:
I am trying to going vegetarian at the minute. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for really getting going at it cause everytime I try to do it I always end up eating meat. I dont really wanna restrict my diet to eating carrots and peas everynight so any websites with really good recipies would be cool

i weaned myself off it gradually..cutting out red meat for a few weeks, then red meat and poultry, then red meat and poultry and fish.. then red meat, poultry, fish and annoying things like marshmallows. was less of a shock to the system that way. taking an iron supplement helps fend off the steak cravings as well.
i've thought about the whole vegan thing but i'm not ready to go that far - soya milk tastes like chalk, vegan butter is Teh Ming and pizza without cheese is a fucking travesty.

Being vegetarian is a wonderful moral high ground that excuses you from actually doing stuff like recycling, helping old ladies cross the road or giving up smoking. Whatever happens, realise that you are entering a world of culinary joy, minus any burden of guilt you may have been carrying that has driven you to give up the flesh.

Seriously buh: Look at the 'recipes' or 'food glorious food' threads for some deadly vegetarian recipes. There's so much food out there that you just don't even realise it. Good luck.

I love food.

Ciaran Mackle said:
try cold turkey?

back on the non animal eating wagon after falling off it there a while ago. went to spain. practically everything there has a dead pig in it. can't really offer any advice though. my real secret is I'm too lazy to buy or cook the stuff. this helps a lot. also I've developed a deep distrust of nearly evereything I eat which helps even more!!!

of course this means all I eat is basically olives, tomatoes, pasta, rice, peanuts, bread and a few other bits basically. oh and cheese. I'd die without cheese :)

ta for those lynx niallmc!

pete said:
try cold turkey?

Yeh but then I get cravings for meat are someone gives me it and I cant resist.

Thanks everyone! Have a feeling I am gonna actually stick to it this time for a change!

i was vege for 3 years or so. i love animals and any time i think of someone being cruel to one, it makes me sad. the reason i went back on meat was because i didn't care enough about what i couldn't see if you know what i mean. i'm seriously thinking about switching to fish full-time. in fact, i don't see why i don't just do it. i love fish. fish and seafood makes me feel high. and i can catch fish myself from the rivers and the sea. and so can everyone else. i use tools that were developed by men to make catching and killing fish easier. i guess i could be joined by everyone else in the world. we'd probably make a big net... tie all out fishing lines together. we're all collections of electron and protons and neutrons. mostly water. we have epidemics. aids is rampant in africa. man originated in africa. we evolved from apes who eat other monkies. we were fish once.

you see what i mean? i just can't organise all the into one directive that says humans shouldn't eat other animals if they're nutritious.

i think vegetarianism is pretty religious.

Ciaran Mackle said:
Yeh but then I get cravings for meat are someone gives me it and I cant resist.

Thanks everyone! Have a feeling I am gonna actually stick to it this time for a change!

If you have cravings for meat, maybe you shouldnt give it up. just try and eat healthier and cut down the amount of meat you eat.

personally I always hated meat.

there's millions of nice vegetarian foods out there. i'm not talking your lah-de-dah look at me i can cook bullshit, i'm talking about the crap out of the Tescos freezer.

Tescos own Vegetarian Nut Cutlets are amazing. The Linda McCartney sausages, burgers and pies (made with 100% real Linda McCartney!) also rule. McCain's Homefries oven chips & homeroast spuds are vegetarian and bleedin amazing. Birds Eye vegetable quarter pounders are great, as are their potato waffles. As well as the best baked beans on the planet, Heinz do a nice veggie ravioli and a macaroni & cheese (both tinned!) which are pretty handy.

Easy.

avernus said:
If you have cravings for meat, maybe you shouldnt give it up. just try and eat healthier and cut down the amount of meat you eat.

personally I always hated meat.
cravings for meat probably mean vitamin deficiencies. easily sorted without getting blood on your hands, as it were.

pete said:
there's millions of nice vegetarian foods out there. i'm not talking your lah-de-dah look at me i can cook bullshit, i'm talking about the crap out of the Tescos freezer.

Tescos own Vegetarian Nut Cutlets are amazing. The Linda McCartney sausages, burgers and pies (made with 100% real Linda McCartney!) also rule. McCain's Homefries oven chips & homeroast spuds are vegetarian and bleedin amazing. Birds Eye vegetable quarter pounders are great, as are their potato waffles. As well as the best baked beans on the planet, Heinz do a nice veggie ravioli and a macaroni & cheese (both tinned!) which are pretty handy.

Easy.
:D :D :D :D

pete said:
cravings for meat probably mean vitamin deficiencies. easily sorted without getting blood on your hands, as it were.

ye spose - still though, lots of folks go back to the meat cos they love the taste. not me though - also I hate the vitamins.

hag said:
yikes! are you being ironic?
nah

i read in a couple of places that cravings for certain foods can be linked back to nutritional deficiencies. i wasn't sure (see: "probably mean") so looked it up. turns out the brainy mcbrainsons out there don't believe it.

Although some people say it holds true for women in the family way with the iron and the anaemia and the coal and the so forth.

so there you go

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back