Gis a gig, will ya? (2 Viewers)

I'd also have to check when our drummer is home etc.

Gleaming the cube.

It's very easy and quick to record these days.
If you sound nothing like your myspace songs, you're probably doing more harm than good having them up there.
First impressions and all that.
Just get someone to record one song for you, use that to get gigs.

yeah, i know. been trying to arrange it for few months at this stage, but hormonal bass players, and various jobs/college shit keep getting in the way.

only just got ourselves a proper practice room too, so should be able to throw a mic in the corner or something, even for the most rough of recordings.

err
i think your band's dad is a very very experienced promotor, who could easily explain things and give you a hand

I don't mean using their influence to get unfair help (is there any such thing?) but certainly to help get support slots around the whole country

use every card you can

errah yeah, but i'd like to do things on our own, make our own mistakes, etc..

wouldn't want to get known as the band who's only playing cause of that connection, ya know?

this thread was just a general exhuming of frustration, wasn't actually going out of my way to ask every one here to give us a gig!

(though if yer so inclined :p)

yeah but if you're gonna ask anyone for advice, he'd be a great place to start. doesn't mean you have to do it like

I HATE chasing gigs, I'm fine at promoting other people's stuff, but no good at advertising myself. And then if you're offered one you've got the pain-in-the-arse of checking to see if everyone in the band can make that date.

It's bad enough with my "proper band", and there's only 2 of us, but I'm in another band with 5 other people, all of whom have "proper bands" and day jobs, and it's a frickin' nightmare. We just had to turn down a support slot with the Fall, goddammit!!!! :eek:

I'm building one of these for my next set of gigs.

catpiano.jpg

IMHO...

Recording is FAR more important than playing gigs when you start out first. If you have a few decent recordings of REALLY good songs on your myspace people will offer you gigs.

There is seriously no point in playing gigs to your friends - or to 10 people when your friends can't make it. Nobody's going to find out about you that way. If you keep slogging away playing gigs to no one then you're going to get pissed off and tired of what you're doing very fast.

MOST importantly - don't play gigs if you're underpracticed or don't feel that every song in your set is 100% awesome. Going to gigs with the attitude of "it'll be grand" or "jesus i hope we pull this off" is a bad idea, because when you're actually on a stage with a room of people gawking at you it becomes a hundred times harder. And first impressions definitely last.

Seriously, as lame as it sounds though, just write the best songs you can. Dont ever have filler in your sets just to lengthen it. You're better off writing 4 or 5 awesome songs and playing them than 8 or 9 mediocre ones.

Also it helps if you've been putting on gigs for other bands for about ten years before starting your own band. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back