Getting nervous before gigs (4 Viewers)

has anyone ever had to leave the stage to have a piss?

Yes.

I used to get really really nervous but after what could've been a really serious accident I realised there was more important things to be nervous about. It's not like you're gonna die if you get it wrong. The next gig we played was grand after that. Sometimes I still get a wee bit nervous but nothing on what I used to be like.

When I did my first gig in years recently, I had the very strange sensation of being totally calm in my mind, but my hands got a major case of the shakes (not good when you're playing 2 keyboards with ickle ickle keys). Like, visible from the audience shakes. This had never happened to me before, mind you I've never been in a band where I've had to sing and play at the same time before.

I took beta blockers for the next few gigs, which worked, but I'm going to try it without them next time as I don't want to make a habit of it, and they definitely slow your reactions down. But if you read a review saying the keyboard player in the Nanny Maze clearly has Parkinson's, isn't she brave, bless 'er, etc, you'll know why :)

Don't get too nervous before, but often do during the gig and even after.

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to sound, and if i can't hear things properly I get a wee bit jittery.

i find playing with my back to the audience helps keep me calm and a bit more focused than i'd be if i was looking at a load of people and thinking about being stood up in front of them and them all waiting to be impressed. some bandmates get a bit ratty about me being rude to the audience and not doing statusquo-type dancing stuff.

beer is good too but not too much.

Ive started to do stretches before gigs to loosen my wrists and back a bit. Even if you're mad nervous, if you can get your body loose it makes the start that bit easier I think.

This probably sounds selfish but Id say lots of people feel the same: I rarely enjoy any of the preceeding bands before I play and just want them to hurry the fuck up, get off and let me play.

Lately Ive found the following hour or so straight after playing very depressing too. :(

four seperate sittings or four stools in the one sitting?

seperate. not the happiest three hours of my life.

& i'm sorry to say but i find it really off-putting when i'm watching a band and some of their members have their backs turned for the whole gig. i reckon you just need some more beer.

a mate of mine told me that the only time he feels normal is when 20,000 people are screaming his name and singing his songs word for word back to him...

being nervous onstage sucks ass. i've made a concious effort over the last few years to calm down and it's working fine. it helps if you have a couple of drinks beforehand, i find.

and i once had to leave the stage for a piss, funnily enough, but it was back when i was in my early 20's and the gig was just an excuse for a pissup at some friend's backyard party in the sticks.

play in a band with a dude who used to puke his guts out before every gig, no matter how big or small. that would be odd.

Yeah, played with a fella who would disappear straight after soundcheck and come back white as a ghost 2 mins before we were due on. Puked his ring up every time.

I get nervous sometimes. I find if I sit down at home before I leave if I can and just run through a few songs then I'm ok. if you just imagine you're doing it right at the actual gig it keeps you calmer than if you are panicking about lack of practice which would be my problem.

Ever tried rescue remedy? Works for some people but not me personally

I get nervous sometimes. I find if I sit down at home before I leave if I can and just run through a few songs then I'm ok. if you just imagine you're doing it right at the actual gig it keeps you calmer than if you are panicking about lack of practice which would be my problem.

Ever tried rescue remedy? Works for some people but not me personally

Rescue remedy's pretty good for nerves alright. Out of curiosity what band are you in?

Used to get really nervous years ago.
These days, very occasionally - and that's mostly down to worries about technical stuff.

Ive started to do stretches before gigs to loosen my wrists and back a bit. Even if you're mad nervous, if you can get your body loose it makes the start that bit easier I think.

This probably sounds selfish but Id say lots of people feel the same: I rarely enjoy any of the preceeding bands before I play and just want them to hurry the fuck up, get off and let me play.

Lately Ive found the following hour or so straight after playing very depressing too. :(

AMEN dude!

especially to the feeling depressed after gigs.. that always happens to me too, what the fuck is that shit about? even if it's a deadly gig i usually feel like shit after it, sometimes for a few days. strangely empty or something. weird, and it's mainly dublin gigs it happens.

ah.. human brains eh?

AMEN dude!

especially to the feeling depressed after gigs.. that always happens to me too, what the fuck is that shit about? even if it's a deadly gig i usually feel like shit after it, sometimes for a few days. strangely empty or something. weird, and it's mainly dublin gigs it happens.

ah.. human brains eh?

I feel like that after watching a good show... isn't this the reason why musicians do drugs - to keep up the buzz?

our first ever gig i actually made a vomit cake in voodoo, i just kept puking..we were supposed to be on at 9 and we were asked to headline at the last minute so we were hanging around for hours just getting more and more nervous. it was one of the worst times of my life.nowadays i'm not too bad, i always try to keep a brave face and keep the spirits up cos the two blokes in the band tend to be nervous all the time.

the next gig we play i'll be shitting it cos it will be my first gig playing keyboards cos i usually just play guitar so i'll probably make a vomit meringue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back