George Lucas-the worst film-maker of all time? Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Trisky

Website
Visit site
Just saw Episode II the other day and quite enjoyed it in some ways. I came out of it thinking that it was a bit of a return to form for the series. Then I asked myself what I liked about it and the answer was simple: The Special Effects.
I think Lucas has managed to blind people with eye-candy and cover up the fact that the story is rubbish, the dialogue is agonisingly bad, the actors are struggling with a director who cannot deal with anything human or emotional and as a result are little more than talking props.
Every Star Wars film is essentially the same. There is always some kind of a race (speeder bike chase in Jedi, asteroid field in Empire, Pod-race in Phantom Menace, assassin chase in Clones). There is always a light-sabre duel at the end (cool but in EVERY film?) and Yoda always says stuff in that stupid putting-the-verb-at-the-end-of-the-sentence-way. For a Jedi master, the little fucker cannot string a sentence together to save his life.
I know what many of you will say: It's a film for kids! But is it really? Are you sure that isn't Lucas' excuse for the lack of depth in his films. Also, Phantom Menace centred around a trade-dispute and Episode II is all about backstage political shenanigans. Thats what kids want alright!
Anyone agree?

i have a conspiracy theory that he's making purposely awful dialogue etc. mistakes in these two new ones and that the third one will be flawless so's he can win a few oscars. ;)
such thoughts keeps me sane - i really enjoyed the new one but there are some unforgivable howlers in there.

I was very very upset about the dialogue in attack o' t'clones. my friend commented that i looked visibly shaken after the viewing. Lucas should not be allowed write scripts. He wrote Star Wars, but co-scripted on Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes back, which is why they're so damn good.
After the first one (Stars Wars), Harrison Ford reputedly said to Lucas "George, you can type this shit, but we cannot say it."
Attack of the Clones was cringingly bad when it came to dialogue, which made the characterisation really shit too, and that Anakin deserves a good clip around the ear if you ask me...

or so I'm told...

I thought Attack of the Clones was rubbish

and heres why

1. The DIALOUGE - OK I know, Geroge writes shit dialouge, its accepted, but this was drivel, real fucking drivel and only made worse by...

2. THE ACTING - ...the actors... at least before George's piss poor dialouge was being delivered by talented charasmatic actors such as Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, the love thing between them came off so well, the put downs and come ons, all chesse but delivered so so so well. With ATTACK it's reducded to rolling round in fields and crap and there is NO chemistry between the two Characters... nothing... ALSO the big turning point when Anikan murders the sand folk and the kids and all...ovbviously this is where Ani turns into the Big Black Fella... but you get no sense of the importance of the moment because the lines are being delivered in a monotonus boring tone by a bored looking tneeager with rediculos hair...zzzzz...its menat to be the biggest point in the whole god awful mess....right??

3. THE PLOT - The "story" was so so so confusing, it made zero sense, where did the clones come from??, why was no one concered about there sudden appearence??, why is Bobba Fetts da fighting everyone?? making clones with the good guys, and then hanging with the bad guys (or are they the good guys)??? where the hell did Christopher Lee come from...WHY IS NO ONE IN THE FILM ASKING WHERE THE CLONES CAME FROM...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

4. THE ACTION - Nearly every scence was computer game fodder..written purely to facilatate tie in money spinning computer games... I'm not going to go thru these one by one... you know the stuff I'm talking about... big one was POINTLESS romp thru droid factory where Princess Thingy runs thru the crushers having to time her run to not get crushed = EVERY PLATFORM COMPUTER GAME EVER!!!

thats pretty much it... its lunctime... no more typing...anyway....

there were things I liked, Ewan was very enjoyable to watch and the war stuff at the end was amazing... but not enough to carry any old action movie and certainly not enough to carry a Starwars flick...

I suspect I will not be going to see Episode 3 in the Cinema...

Ah, y'will.

You're just upset that R. Kelly just missed out on recording the theme song. You're among friends now, dude... let it go... come on.. theres no shame in it...

heehee!

Woolbag:D

i think he's just surrounded himself with so many 'yes-men' that nobody has the balls to tell him 'George, this sucks all kinds of ass so it does'. He 100% funds his films now, so there's no studio backing, and therefore no pressure to change anything. The fucker has ruined my life!!

Originally posted by Pantone247
3. THE PLOT - The "story" was so so so confusing, it made zero sense, where did the clones come from??, why was no one concered about there sudden appearence??, why is Bobba Fetts da fighting everyone?? making clones with the good guys, and then hanging with the bad guys (or are they the good guys)??? where the hell did Christopher Lee come from...WHY IS NO ONE IN THE FILM ASKING WHERE THE CLONES CAME FROM...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

See now whatever about your other criticisms, it's this paragraph that indicates to me that you were either asleep or stoned while in the cinema, because all of this is explained in the film.

Originally posted by Pantone247
I thought Attack of the Clones was rubbish
WHY IS NO ONE IN THE FILM ASKING WHERE THE CLONES CAME FROM...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

N.B.! - SPOILER - look away if you ain't seen the film.

ok after watching it twice i think i got the ins and outs of the whole clone army thing.

1. importantly, senator palpatine = darth sidius = soon to be emperor.

2. there are always two dark lords of the sith, once darth maul had died then darth sidius had to find himself a new buddy - he got count dooku on board. dooku is acting on the senator (emperor)'s behalf. dooku throws the casual viewer off by pretending to be surprised by the arrival of the clone army which yoda had fetched once the senetor had been given full power. dooku also throws the casual viewer off by telling obi-wan all about the fact that a dark lord of the sith controls the senate and pretending to be against the dark lord.

3. senetor palpatine set-up the clone war to create confusion and to gain absolute power over the senate, this is how:
he got count dooku to pretend to be against the senate (and darth sidius) so that the trade federation people would help in creating a break away that the jedis would not be powerful enough to fight against. this meant that a larger army was needed to fight the break-away (remember that the senator set all this up). jar-jar motions that the senator be given full power to create the army (which the senetor had already ordered 10 years earlier). the senator intends to use this clone army in his future empire. he purposely gets dooku to create a weaker army that the clones will defeat so that in the end we get a victorious senator with full control over the senate and a large army to keep himself in full control so that he sets up the empire and becomes the emperor. dooku is killed and ani becomes the second dark lord of the sith - darth vader.

any questions?

sure, I got a question for you

so the little guy with the ears who sounds like Grover - he's Luke, right? And Harrison Solo, is he a clone of Django Boba Reinhardt?

And is the guy with the yellow torchy thing Jabba the Fett?

ep3:

anakin discovers dooku is his da.
anakin gets thick and starts a scrap with obi wan.
obi wan kicks his hole.
anakin moves off somewhere and plots to get revenge on obiwan.
dooku helps him.
they kick jedi ass, anakin kills dooku.
anakin gets promoted,
princess whassername discovers she's preggers.
yoda shakes his computer generated head and stuff.

Originally posted by conor

N.B.! - SPOILER - look away if you ain't seen the film.

ok after watching it twice i think i got the ins and outs of the whole clone army thing.

1. importantly, senator palpatine = darth sidius = soon to be emperor.

2. there are always two dark lords of the sith, once darth maul had died then darth sidius had to find himself a new buddy - he got count dooku on board. dooku is acting on the senator (emperor)'s behalf. dooku throws the casual viewer off by pretending to be surprised by the arrival of the clone army which yoda had fetched once the senetor had been given full power. dooku also throws the casual viewer off by telling obi-wan all about the fact that a dark lord of the sith controls the senate and pretending to be against the dark lord.

3. senetor palpatine set-up the clone war to create confusion and to gain absolute power over the senate, this is how:
he got count dooku to pretend to be against the senate (and darth sidius) so that the trade federation people would help in creating a break away that the jedis would not be powerful enough to fight against. this meant that a larger army was needed to fight the break-away (remember that the senator set all this up). jar-jar motions that the senator be given full power to create the army (which the senetor had already ordered 10 years earlier). the senator intends to use this clone army in his future empire. he purposely gets dooku to create a weaker army that the clones will defeat so that in the end we get a victorious senator with full control over the senate and a large army to keep himself in full control so that he sets up the empire and becomes the emperor. dooku is killed and ani becomes the second dark lord of the sith - darth vader.

any questions?

this was NEVER in the film I watched on sunday... never.. how did you figure all this out??!!

Okey, for someone who hasent seen the film yet I HATE YOU ALL!

Brousing down I am given away plot lines that I really dident need to know yet... I've ignored all talk since pantones first big post, But seriously Pete if your reading this, put a warning on this thread like they did in Empire magazinr when I used to read it, "This artical gives away vital plot lines etc.." and save some other person ...

On another note... I'd love to have seen David Lynch's vertion of Return of The Jedi

Originally posted by Giveamanakick
He wrote Star Wars, but co-scripted on Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes back, which is why they're so damn good.

'so damn good' ... ho ho ho
When I saw them first in the cinema I would have agreed - I remember having a big argument in senior infants about whether Darth Vader had been killed at the end of Star Wars, and my Da convincing me that Han Solo wasn't dead at the end of Empire so that I wouldn't cry (turned out he was right too, fair play to him). Now I acknowledge that they're good oul yarns and that's all ... and therefore I really enjoyed Attack of the Clones

you should thank me Ian, I'm trying to save 3 hours of your life for you...tell you what buy a ticket to starwars... go off around tower records for two hours, 40 mins before it ends pop in and the enjoy the stunning eye candy...

if you feel you like you would;ve liked to have seen the whole story, got into the plot and stuff... just look straight up and spin around really fast till you colapse... the feelings of dis-orientation and nausea are similar to the plot of WHEN CLOWNS ATTACK

and I loved Starwars, I truely did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back