Gardening again. Free bulbs (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Now that Summer is officially over how did it work out for everyone gardening wise?

It was pretty mixed for me. I started off with a live and let live attitude to slugs and a plan to grow chillis, courgettes, and tomatoes.

In the end the tomatoes didn't do too great - got a couple of dozen which were nice but not very big off three different plants. there's still a bunch of green ones there which I'm hoping might come on a bit. The two courgette plants were bit of a disaster - they produced big massive mongo rubbarb sized leaves and so far most of the actual courgettes have grown to 3 or so inches and then rotted on the plant. Dunno whats happening there at all at all. The one courgette (!) I did get was massive and lovely though. I kept the chilli plants on me window (inside) and they've done the best - the two cayenne plants have produced super hot peppers and the jalapeno plant gave me three massive ones. Sine I picked them off three more are growing and there are three flowers blooming now too which seems a bit mad...

On that note, if we get a mild September / October will shit keep growing?

Oh, and I turned into a salt spraying slug killing machine!

My plan for now / next year:
  • Cut back the chilli plants once all the fruit is gone and try to keep them going over the winter.
  • Get a zip up mini plastic greenhouse thing for the tomatoes next year.
  • Try courgettes again next year but maybe get a variety that doesn't produce such a massive plant.
  • Maybe buy some blueberry bushes - Mr. Middleton in Caple St is selling them for €22 (a pair).
  • Invent a cut-down cattle prod for killing slugs.
I'm going to miss having growing stuff on my window so I bought some Snow Crocus bulbs. They're supposed to start flowering from Feb to March but my housemate has a magazine article which gives you tips on getting them out earlier. The box I bought (from Tesco for only €3.40 or something) has 50 bulbs - much more than I need. If anyone wants some drop me a pm and I can pass them on to anyone in Dublin or post them to heads outside the Pale.

chores_gardening.gif

i grew onions, beetroot, radishes and garlic. garlic was the biggest success, followed by the beetroot and onion, then the radishes, which i pretty much just let go to seed.

We moved in July so couldn't do anything really. Cleared out 30 odd years of crap and bindweed from the end of the back garden last week and now have a nice area to grow things. My friend the horticulturalist says there's not enough light to grow veg there (Still thinking of doing it anyway). We're going to plant pear trees and grow them 'espalier' and maybe some other fruit bushes.

Can't plant flowers because of the dogs. They either dig them up or stand on them when they've grown. Or eat them and poison themselves.

I just killed my third basil plant in two months. Is that some sort of record?

There's also a 'plant' on a shelf out the back in the 'yard' (a two-foot deep concrete area that gets very little sunlight) that used to be 'alive' but now has a 'canopy' of 'cobwebs' growing over it and has now become an experiment in decomposition.

where are you buying the basil? supposedly, there's about 10 individual plants crammed into those small pots you get at the supermarket,a nd the best thing to do is divide them and replant them into their own pots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back