garage gigs, sunday, 9.00 (1 Viewer)

dudley (18 Dec, 2001 05:17 p.m.):
aren't they supposed to be a complete sham?

the deal is this, you book a "gig" and they give you thirty tickets. You are required to return £3 for every ticket you sell and sell at least 30 tickets.

Garage land would suggest that you sell the tcikets for £6 (what they charge on the door) pocket £3 yourself and pass on the other £3 to them...OR more realistically sell the tickets to your mates for £3 a piece and apologise for inflicting thewhole nightmarish episode on them...

Once you get there its not to bad, the sound men are very nice and helpfuly (shock), the sound is very good... like better then whelans on an average night good, and everyone is very firendly....its about then that you'll realise all the other bands are...A) either playing travis and coldplay covers B) aging pub rockers or C) a pack of knackers who are eyeing up your guitar... its no place for timid shoe gazing indie boys I'll tell you that....

anyway thats the deal....sham? maybe, but with the prices venues round town charge its pretty hard not to be shammed round dublin

..and they served their purpose as a place to road test stuff before a proper gig...eh says my friend who played there and told me all of the above........*whistle*

so now you know

What is the Garage?
The only Garage I remember is the one that used to be near the Clarence and have Dublin Bus seats.

Lost & not Found

Here,
if anyone ever goes down there could you have a look out by the jacks for a 10ft tall red shiny rocket, about 3.5ft diameter with a big Pez Logo on one side, and Russian writing saying KOCK 1 on the other.

There should be a motorbike helmet inside with a super8 camera attached to it with a pair of goggles and a beard inside.

You probably think I'm joking.... if only I were...

Lost & not Found

Stuart Little (19 Dec, 2001 10:30 a.m.):
Here,
if anyone ever goes down there could you have a look out by the jacks for a 10ft tall red shiny rocket, about 3.5ft diameter with a big Pez Logo on one side, and Russian writing saying KOCK 1 on the other.

There should be a motorbike helmet inside with a super8 camera attached to it with a pair of goggles and a beard inside.

You probably think I'm joking.... if only I were...

frickin' perverts

"There should be a motorbike helmet inside with a super8 camera attached to it with a pair of goggles and a beard inside."

That was the first time I saw yiz playing...who was that *singer songwriter* type who supported and fell of his stool giving up after two songs?

joss (19 Dec, 2001 12:46 a.m.):
What is the Garage?
The only Garage I remember is the one that used to be near the Clarence and have Dublin Bus seats.

oh my jesus jaysus god!
i remember that place.
it fucking rocked the world.
why is it gone? it was deadly!!!!
or else maybe it was really shit but i was 16 and glad of *anywhere* letting me in.

and what was the place on aungier st with the 7" 's glued to the ceiling and loads of hairy metallers?
that rocked also.

Pantone247 (19 Dec, 2001 11:46 a.m.):
Could it be "CHarlies Rock Bar" on Auingers Street.... now posh Jazz hangout JJ Smyths???

yeah, charlies.
thats it.
didn't that become some other posh pub for a while before jj smyths?
i dint realise that it was jj smyths now even.

rothko (19 Dec, 2001 11:08 a.m.):

That was the first time I saw yiz playing...who was that *singer songwriter* type who supported and fell of his stool giving up after two songs?

Can't remember his name but that was the same gig where we were billed as the Warlords of Tez, all over town. Warlords of Tez. That just sounds stupid.

Also our first time getting paid. We got £70 so we bought 28 pints of Guinness. People were waiting half an hour for the barman to finish our order.

Hmm. Same night a friend got locked in the toilet in my gaf - so we rang a locksmith who started using a powerdrill at 2am on a sunday.
AND the bin in the kitchen caught fire.
AND saw a guy getting a bottle in the head outside zanzibar from my window.
AND the cops let themselves into the gaf at 4am and entered my flatmates bedroom to ask him what the noise had been about earlier.

What a night.

It's not JJ Smyths. It's Capitol.
Charlie's isn't even gone that long.
Best thing about it was the luminous 'space' artwork upstairs.
<libel> They tried to burn my uncle's music shop down so's they could buy it cheaply and spread their rock. </libel>

This band I was in called Tetsuo played our one and only time at the last ever gig in Charlie`s with Month of Birthdays, it was 1997 I think?
There are photo`s on thumped I think?
I loved it`s(Charlie`s) Phillo loving ways especially
*cry*

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Thin Lizzy mirror that used to be in Slatterys?
It was gone well before the place went.

I think the Lizzy mirror is still in Slattery's. I heard a bloke on the radio going on about it once.

Charlies was pretty cool, we put on the Cliff Burton night there and packed the place and the owner only charged us £25! Can you believe it! He evenn bought t-shirts off us on the night so that all the staff could wear them. I presume he's not the owner anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back