Fucking Genius goings on at the RSA. (1 Viewer)

Corey

So. As of next week, those driving on a learners permit shall be fined 1000euro on the spot if caught driving without a fully licensed driver at all times. Even if you've been waiting three months for your test and have'nt recieved a date yet. Or even if your nipper's sick and needs too see a doctor. Or even if you've no access to a licensed driver between any set number of hours a day. Because they're at work, or simply trying to get on with their own shit.

We're all killers apparantly. Unbelieveable.

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on how many road deaths are attributable to leaners and how many to fully-licensed drivers. My guess is that very, very few deaths are caused by learners.

pox. :(

is the exception for second provisionals still there?

edit: apparently not. not that it affected me anyway buh.

Have they addressed that whole drive to test centre - fail test - drive home alone anyway issue?

Being from the North, the whole idea that you can get into a large, potentially deadly machine and drive it with nobody beside you (who knows what they're doing) seems MENTAL.

Being from the North, the whole idea that you can get into a large, potentially deadly machine and drive it with nobody beside you (who knows what they're doing) seems MENTAL.

agreed. i've had several near collisions driving in the republic caused by some inexplicably stupid other drivers. stuff like i've never seen anywhere else in the western world.
i hope it doesn't cause you too much inconvenience corey, but if it means less people attempting to reverse up slip roads on the M1, then suck it up

So. As of next week, those driving on a learners permit shall be fined 1000euro on the spot if caught driving without a fully licensed driver at all times. Even if you've been waiting three months for your test and have'nt recieved a date yet. Or even if your nipper's sick and needs too see a doctor. Or even if you've no access to a licensed driver between any set number of hours a day. Because they're at work, or simply trying to get on with their own shit.

We're all killers apparantly. Unbelieveable.

It seems harsh but as someone pointed out it is mad to think that it is so easy to get behind the wheel of a car alone with only a few lessons under your belt.

If you are rushing a sick child/pregnant woman to hospital, that's maybe the only exception.
As for having no access to a licensed driver... tough shit. What did these people do before they were driving? Get a bus/train/taxi/lift.
Provisional license-holders are not all killers but those on a second or third are obviously doing something wrong and deserve our scorn, hatred and fear!

A qualified driver sitting beside you...what difference do they make?

I've seen qualified drivers do stupid and dangerous things all the time. Having one sitting beside me would make absolutely no difference to my driving- its ridiculous

this is a fucking bollox

A qualified driver sitting beside you...what difference do they make?

I've seen qualified drivers do stupid and dangerous things all the time. Having one sitting beside me would make absolutely no difference to my driving- its ridiculous

this is a fucking bollox

Well, for most people it probably wouldn't make too much difference but a qualified driver beside a learner in a car could be a calming influence and could point out mistakes that the driver may be making. If they are driving around on their own after only a few lessons they will definitely pick up bad/dangerous habits.

I definitely think you should have to have a certain number of driving lessons under your belt before you go out alone in a car. I reckon at least a dozen would be ok.

The problem is that they are now enforcing a law that has been slack for so long that it seems stupid to everyone but it should never have been allowed to get so slack in the first place.

yes, obviously when you first start to learn you need a competent driver to tell you what you're doing wrong

but the reality is after a few weeks of driving you will be competent yourself, if you have any sense. it's not brain surgery to take it easy on speed and follow the rules of the road

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Road_Safety_Strategy.html

heres the new strategy

The main changes are:
The provisional licence is being replaced by a learner permit to emphasise the fact that the holder is learning to drive.
Existing provisional licences will continue in force until their expiry date after which the holder will be issued with a learner permit.
A holder of a second provisional licence/learner permit for a car must be accompanied at all times.
The accompanying driver must in respect of any licence category hold a full licence for the category for at least two years.
From 1 December 2007 a learner motorcyclist must wear the letter L on a yellow fluorescent tabard.
From 1 December a provisional licence/learner permit holder must hold the licence/permit for six months before taking a driving test.

GDL.jpg

why are they giving us 3 days notice? i need my car for work!!!!!

it doesnt say anything about 3rd provisionals.

Thousands of people need their cars for work

Thousands of people will remove their L-Plates and hope for the best

This is bollox

There should be a direct route to getting a license- do some lessons, be certified ready for test, do test, pass

and that should be possible in weeks

yes, obviously when you first start to learn you need a competent driver to tell you what you're doing wrong

but the reality is after a few weeks of driving you will be competent yourself, if you have any sense. it's not brain surgery to take it easy on speed and follow the rules of the road

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Road_Safety_Strategy.html

you're a smart guy johnny, and i know it must suck that guys like you who can learn how to drive safely in just a few weeks have to be subject to the same laws as idiots like me!

but then again, i'm kinda glad in a weird way, that it took 7 months of lessons, in a way i feel more like i 'earned' it or something.
to this day i haven't yet attempted to u turn into oncoming traffic, reverse on the motorway, or any other of that anarcho-driving stuff that contributes to ireland's exemplary road safety record.

so are you arguing that it's ok for ireland to be full of unqualified dangerous drivers because portugal, spain and italy are too?
or were you just making a pointless observation?
no, my point was that ireland doesn't have the worst drivers in the world, a claim that is often made.

here lads, if you'se are as competent as you think,
take down your l-plates, don't get pulled over and
don't get into any crashes

i've been driving for years and i've only had to produce
my license to a cop once, and even then i blemmed it
through a red light and they just let me go because i
don't look like a spa and don't drive some stupid shitbox
with trinkets littered all over it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back