Fuck Homeopathy! (1 Viewer)

cc0ff_magnus_pyke_science.jpg

Attachments

• cc0ff_magnus_pyke_science.jpg
    cc0ff_magnus_pyke_science.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 157
Apologies for dragging up an oldish thread, but I wasn't sure if I should start a new one on the whole subject of "alternative medicine" etc. I need a rant!

My fella's family are into things like energy healing, chakra healing and past life regression stuff. I've been able to ignore it for the last couple of years because they kinda kept it to themsleves, or I haven't been subjected to it. But lately it's been really getting on my tits and making me really fucking angry. His auld one has started giving courses on the stuff she's learned from a DVD boxset of 15 hours worth of stuff about the connection between quantum physics and intuition See here. It's full of Bullshit claims and fuckwittery that someone who's done basic junior or leaving cert science should know is bullshit. Doing any kind of research on the contributors to the DVD indicates how much of a load of bollocks it is, yet they're quite happy to ignore it. If anyone asks questions of the validity of the content they claim that "mainstream science" is trying to cover up the facts of the DVD.

I'm not a scientist and so I can't really back up my thoughts on the whole thing so I haven't confronted it.

How do you tell your partner that their family are fucking idiots without affecting your relationship?

I seriously need a fucking beer.

That sounds like a cool film. Also I don't think junior or leaving cert science covers quantum physics...

That sounds like a cool film. Also I don't think junior or leaving cert science covers quantum physics...

"Like" "You don't have permission to click this button"

I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR DAMN PERMISSION. Something strange going on with my login...

Anyway, Fifi- can't you feign ignorance and subtly mock them? For the laugh?
Or would that create a vortex of ignorance that'd destroy us all....

Just give his Mum a book on actual quantam physics and every time you meet her, ask her how she's getting on with it.

Anyways early on in a relationship I establish that I won't entertain any hocum. Tarot cards, horoscopes, Jesus, homeopathy, guardian angels.......... I'm 33 and single.

So FiFI would you be posting here if they went to mass every Sunday, surely it all amounts to the same thing.

Eh, that's a whole other kettle of fish. They do go to church, just not Catholic services.

Born again? They're great fun. They get all upset if you say thinks like "Holy Fuck" and "Jeayyyysus..."

Anyway my advise would be to brush it off, he's not trying to push it on ye is he? So when its brought up just say stuff like your not into that sort of thing and nod politely.

Not born again Christians, that would be a deal breaker.

And you're right, for the most part it's not an issue, it's just when I visit his folks' house that it's highlighted. (I'm just back from a few days there and needed to vent).

How do you tell your partner that their family are fucking idiots without affecting your relationship? .

You don't, ever, unless you're looking to end the relationship in a hurry. You ignore the insanity, try to keep them talking about other things, change the subject, leave the room, sit and sing songs in your head, basically whatever it takes to stay sane.

Best of luck

I feel your pain Fifi. I had a friend who got into this pseudo-science/shamanistic bolloxology/homeopathy/reiki/buddhism/2012 apocalypse thing the last couple of years (there's no apocalypse this year now btw, it's the dawning of a new age of the mind apparently).

Way back when I was a friend of his on Facebook, he put up many videos and links to websites about the aforementioned nonsense. When I pulled him up on a few things (completely misquoting Einstein and other genuine scientists to support mysticism, posting photoshopped images purporting to show examples of 'sacred geometry' (i.e. maths to you and me) in nature, posting links to videos like this fucking bullshit ) he deleted my posts, ignored me, replied with another misquote, implied that I was the mad one getting so uptight about facts and the like, cheered his hanger-on friends who were doing their best to belittle me etc.

Like yourself, I googled the names of the 'scientists' in the links he posted and they were all hokey. After watching one nonsensical video about a comet aligning with earth in 2012 and causing all sorts of shenanigans, I googled the name of the comet and found myself on a NASA page put up for the explicit purpose of dispelling pseudo-science myths.

There was no arguing with the chap as he was keeping his own counsel and I don't think there was anything I could have said to talk him out of his beliefs, so I gave up and decided not to be friends with him anymore. There's definitely a surge in this type of thing going on lately. Unfortunately, social networking has put a lot of these loopers together and they're whipping each other up. The 'documentary makers' and the like are just out to make money and anyone taken in by it is either incredibly gullible and uneducated or they want to jump in on the scam too.

There's nonsense, and then there's dangerous nonsense. Pseudo-science is the latter as it exploits the uneducated and discourages genuine learning. It makes me really fucking angry because of that. People should have an educated appreciation of the incredible world around them, it's terribly sad to see people being so naive and gullible.

At the end of that rant, I've no advice to you Fifi. I'll always speak my mind in front of these people as I think they get a bit indulged and insulated by their circle of friends and family and they really need to be pulled up on things. But you're no doubt outnumbered so I don't know what you can do. Maybe make them watch some Brian Cox :D

[video=youtube_share;3zBqRLK_ESs]http://youtu.be/3zBqRLK_ESs[/video]

I feel your pain Fifi. I had a friend who got into this pseudo-science/shamanistic bolloxology/homeopathy/reiki/buddhism/2012 apocalypse thing the last couple of years (there's no apocalypse this year now btw, it's the dawning of a new age of the mind apparently).

Way back when I was a friend of his on Facebook, he put up many videos and links to websites about the aforementioned nonsense. When I pulled him up on a few things (completely misquoting Einstein and other genuine scientists to support mysticism, posting photoshopped images purporting to show examples of 'sacred geometry' (i.e. maths to you and me) in nature, posting links to videos like this fucking bullshit ) he deleted my posts, ignored me, replied with another misquote, implied that I was the mad one getting so uptight about facts and the like, cheered his hanger-on friends who were doing their best to belittle me etc.

Like yourself, I googled the names of the 'scientists' in the links he posted and they were all hokey. After watching one nonsensical video about a comet aligning with earth in 2012 and causing all sorts of shenanigans, I googled the name of the comet and found myself on a NASA page put up for the explicit purpose of dispelling pseudo-science myths.

There was no arguing with the chap as he was keeping his own counsel and I don't think there was anything I could have said to talk him out of his beliefs, so I gave up and decided not to be friends with him anymore. There's definitely a surge in this type of thing going on lately. Unfortunately, social networking has put a lot of these loopers together and they're whipping each other up. The 'documentary makers' and the like are just out to make money and anyone taken in by it is either incredibly gullible and uneducated or they want to jump in on the scam too.

There's nonsense, and then there's dangerous nonsense. Pseudo-science is the latter as it exploits the uneducated and discourages genuine learning. It makes me really fucking angry because of that. People should have an educated appreciation of the incredible world around them, it's terribly sad to see people being so naive and gullible.

At the end of that rant, I've no advice to you Fifi. I'll always speak my mind in front of these people as I think they get a bit indulged and insulated by their circle of friends and family and they really need to be pulled up on things. But you're no doubt outnumbered so I don't know what you can do. Maybe make them watch some Brian Cox :D

[video=youtube_share;3zBqRLK_ESs]http://youtu.be/3zBqRLK_ESs[/video]

Good rant. You should be the Leader. Brian Cox can be adviser.

ALL HAIL GENE POOLE, THE RIGHTEOUS and BENIGN LEADER of the INCORRUPTIBLE and UNQUESTIONABLE NON-DOGMATIC ERA OF SSCCCIIEENCEE.

Plenty of court jesters around too.

Good rant. You should be the Leader. Brian Cox can be adviser.

ALL HAIL GENE POOLE, THE RIGHTEOUS and BENIGN LEADER of the INCORRUPTIBLE and UNQUESTIONABLE NON-DOGMATIC ERA OF SSCCCIIEENCEE.

Plenty of court jesters around too.

and let's not forget ; creator of "I've got the horn for.." the most popular thread on Thumped..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back