Fuck Homeopathy! (1 Viewer)

Homeopathy 'could be blacklisted' - BBC News

Although if the total bill for such treatments is only £4 million and a placebo effect works maybe it's worthwhile.
It gives it an air of legitimacy that it doesn't deserve though. Given that there are actual drugs with actual evidence behind them on that list (as they are too expensive or that there's a better alternative), I don't see why homeopathy should get a pass because it's "only" £4million.

We need generic homeopathic remedies? That should save a few quid

chihuahua_freshwater_54660_357598.jpg

It gives it an air of legitimacy that it doesn't deserve though. Given that there are actual drugs with actual evidence behind them on that list (as they are too expensive or that there's a better alternative), I don't see why homeopathy should get a pass because it's "only" £4million.

Forgot to reply to this.
I'm with you on the practise legitimising homeopathy but I still feel it's worthwhile if people do gain a benefit from it. Also, after fully reading the article it seems that the spend on homeopathic medicine is only £150,000, the rest going to support a homeopathic 'hospital' (which will remain unaffected by these proposed changes) in London. £150,000 is a pittance against the NHS's budget of £115 billion.

Forgot to reply to this.
I'm with you on the practise legitimising homeopathy but I still feel it's worthwhile if people do gain a benefit from it. Also, after fully reading the article it seems that the spend on homeopathic medicine is only £150,000, the rest going to support a homeopathic 'hospital' (which will remain unaffected by these proposed changes) in London. £150,000 is a pittance against the NHS's budget of £115 billion.
It's still £150,000 that could be spent on an actual treatment. I'm sure you argue the therapeutic value of getting someone to read your angel cards and some patients would be supportive of it, it's still bullshit being peddled by con artists against the vulnerable.

Isn't the placebo effect recognised as being an actual thing though? So, if someone feels a benefit from some water/sugar pills, why not?

Because the placebo effect is also a part of treatments that actually fucking work too! Also people are taking/being given treatments for really serious illnesses that don't actually work and lead to death. Steve Jobs anyone?

Isn't the placebo effect recognised as being an actual thing though? So, if someone feels a benefit from some water/sugar pills, why not?
The placebo effect is taken as the baseline from which comparisons between drugs are made. If something works as well as placebo, that's basically the same as saying it doesn't work. A reading from HP Lovecraft could have the same effect as a homeopathic treatment if you tell the patient there is evidence behind it first.

If you have a drug that only works as well as placebo, you are usually not going to be allowed to sell it (I say usually because I'm sure there's some exception out there). The same should go for any treatment: medical or alternative/complementary.

Veterinary Homeopathy is where the real action is

Also..I like this idea of reading HP Lovecraft as a medical treatment

The placebo effect is taken as the baseline from which comparisons between drugs are made. If something works as well as placebo, that's basically the same as saying it doesn't work. A reading from HP Lovecraft could have the same effect as a homeopathic treatment if you tell the patient there is evidence behind it first.

If you have a drug that only works as well as placebo, you are usually not going to be allowed to sell it (I say usually because I'm sure there's some exception out there). The same should go for any treatment: medical or alternative/complementary.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Physiotherapists - scum?

I called the telephone doctor about a sore tendon and he told me to go to the physiotherapist. At least I think that's what he told me but maybe I got it mixed up. I've been to the physio a few times now but I'm not convinced. Maybe I was supposed to go to somebody else...

My physio is one of my favourite people in the world. What's your beef with them? I have had one or two bad experiences but if you get a good one they can really sort you out in a bind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back