Fri Nov 27th - HYPE at POD // CHRIS DUCKENFIELD [SWAG] (1 Viewer)

Subject

H Y P E at POD
Harcourt Street Dublin 2
Friday Nov 27th - CHRIS DUCKENFIELD
Doors 11pm // Adm: e12

POD:
CHRIS DUCKENFIELD [SWAG - Sheffield]
Mr. Rossworth
Giles Kenny

Chris Duckenfield - A [self penned] introduction...

I'm 37, male, and live in Sheffield in the north of England (once famous for Steel and Electronic Pop). I now play other people's records for a living, and make a few of my own. Once upon a time I studied English, with a view to becoming a teacher. I also studied - at great length - LSD, music and the art of the compilation tape (not necessarily at the same time). Eventually, music and LSD convinced me teaching was for elderly men, with beards, and an unusual passion for corduroy.

Despite being something of a dribbling participant in the biggest youth movement of the late 20th century, I actually must have learnt quite alot whilst staggering around northern Acid House institutions like the Hacienda, Kool Kat, Jive Turkey & Occasions.

So it was with a sense of confusion, a small record collection and even smaller amount of talent that I became a DJ. In 1989 I got my first residency, along with DJ buddy at the time, Richard Benson. I learnt the art of making people dance, and putting records together 'on the job', the crowd were very tolerant and enthusiastic about this (see: extremely high) we also had a successful pirate radio show (as Asterix and Space)

Rave band Altern8 sampled me from the radio show saying 'Watch Your Bass Bins, I'm Tellin' Ya' - I'll never live it down. We rode the wave & played at a few raves for 12 - 15,000 people, for about 50 quid each - strange times.

So, I got a proper job in the Warp record store, even made a few records for them (as RAC) some of which were OK, I toured with the label throughout Europe and learnt much about club life outside the Northern English experience. It was through warp that I met Richard Brown. We subsequently made lots of music together. This fruitful exchange of skills led us to start a joint project called Swag (due to the fact that we made every tune we did from samples - Swag being English slang for 'stolen goods'), since then we've done quite a few records, and even more remixes for other people, some of them are quite good. I also ran a label called Odori (which I killed before it became 40) for a while and one called Primitive (which I killed before it became a teenager) - We did some nice things with those too, releasing our own curiously popular output as well as music from like-minded artists who chose to throw out the rule book in favour of more forward thinking sounds. In addition to these, I've also done quite a few anonymous releases, but I'll leave you to work those out for yourselves.

As we moved into the noughties, the age of record labels seemed to pass into a huge, pulsating blob of digital data, and with it my interest in running one evaporated. I embarked on a more subversive and 'one-off' approach to productions, figuring that was the best way to maintain a relevant and reactive career as a producer which, incidentally has always felt less natural than my DJ one. I still to this day struggle with the most basic audio software, have no knowledge of synthesis and basically just stumble from one loop to the next until something works...it's served me quite well.

More recently, and contrary to all common sense, I've set up a Vinyl distribution company called All Ears with old friend and record peddlar extraordinaire Alec Greenhough (who also used to run Sheffield's Toko label in the 90's) It's a boutique affair, with the emphasis on quality, limited edition labels, serving, what I can honestly say, is still a very strong, if somewhat shrunken market for the black stuff. Apart from all that I started (contrary to everything I've just mentioned) a Digital label, with long-time compadre Timmy Stewart of the Jet Project, from Belfast. It's called Extended Play and is all about immediate club music

Having been Djing for about two decades, I think I've just about got a handle on it. I spend ludicrous amounts of money on music, forsaking many material essentials such as settee's, soap, and food in order to quench my thirst. I'm lucky enough to get booked to thundering cathedrals of rave like Fabric as well as such bastions of House Music as the Sub Club in Glasgow and Mad
Racket in Sydney, not to mention temples of soulful sonic wizardry like The Electric Chair (RIP) and, well too many to mention here really, but you get the idea - all of which I love equally.

I occasionally write (badly) and do an even more occasional radio show and one-off parties called Tonic with my extremely talented graphic designer buddy, Pipes - We also did a couple of books together. One called 'No Idea' about graphic design and the other a profile of Sheffield Graffiti artist, rapper and all round Hip Hop maverick, Edna / Kid Acne - No one batted an eyelid : ]

I DJ Most weekend's and am loving it more than ever, meeting lovely people and entertaining are addictive in the extreme - I'm also still having enormous fun making music, of whatever variety... some of which you can hear at www.chrisduckenfield.com. Gluttons for punishment can also follow my deeply unimportant mind fluff on Twitter. Amen

Get Yo' Link On!

www.myspace.com/chrisduckenfield
www.chrisduckenfield.com
www.subjectevents.com
www.pod.ie

H Y P E at POD
Harcourt Street Dublin 2
Every F R I D A Y
House Your Body

Forthcoming: Chris Duckenfield [SWAG], John Daly, Prosumer... Full listings at: http://www.subjectevents.com

chrisduckenfieldpod.jpg

Chris plays an extended set [12am - 3am] tomorrow at POD. Pre-club drinks in Lobby / Chocolate Bar from 8pm...

Chris Duckenfield - Sub:Mix:Two [Subject 2nd bday mix]: HERE.

Tracklist:

1: The Popular Peoples Front - Space Race
2: Wale - Roof [DJ Ayers Remix]
3: The Phenomenal Handclap Band -15 To 20
4: Tiger & Woods - Come Down
5: Andy Ash - Mason in my basin
6: Clap Rules - Tim Toh [Remix]
7: The Glimmers - Esta Si Esta No
8: Shit Robot - Simple Things [Todd Terje Remix]
9: The Popular Peoples Front - Arpin' on
10: Jayson Brothers - Monster Box
11: Anthea - The Playmaker [Dyed Soundroom Remix]
12: Claude Von Stroke feat Bootsy Collins - The Greasy Beat
13: Rufug - Dirty [The PPF Break For Daze Remix]
14: Drrtyhaze - New York City Jacks [PPF DUB]
15: Ragtyme feat Byron Stingly - Raindance [Rocco Remix]
16: Mach - On and On

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back