Freedom of speech discussion (1 Viewer)

egg_ said:
em ... so what's to discuss, if everyone believes in the same thing?

Hehe
Ooooh some non-anarchists! Don't see too many of those these days!

Ah only messing, mazzyianne, though it sure does sound like it's going to be a narrow discussion if "non-anarchists" are the exception ... not that anarchists ever agree on anything

It seems somewhat ironic that anarchists are so obsessed with organising things.

egg_ said:
em ... so what's to discuss, if everyone believes in the same thing?

Hehe
Ooooh some non-anarchists! Don't see too many of those these days!

Ah only messing, mazzyianne, though it sure does sound like it's going to be a narrow discussion if "non-anarchists" are the exception ... not that anarchists ever agree on anything

I guess I wasn't clear.
That should have been freedom-of-speech-with-no-exceptions (or something)
As in, I reckon, al lot of the people who would come would have exceptions, like if it's offensive it shouldn't be allowed, or if it is denying the holocaust or whatever. But I don't know too many people who can defend freedom-of-speech-with-no-exceptions.
ya see?

Seomra spraoi is continuously being assumed to be an anarchist group trying to find a space for anarchists and do anarchisty stuff. Which it is not.
Only a few of the many people involved in Seomra Spraoi are anarchists. We are trying to have events and stuff that are more open.
Forget the anarchist comments, it was just that the WSM talk was brought up and..........(talks self into hole):p

This discussion will hopefully take place on Saturday the 2nd April outdoors if the weather is nice.

It's funny how people here have this, 'yeah it sounds like a great idea, (but i have no intention of going)' thing, whats that about?

ps in other seomra spraoi news there will be an african dance workshop taking place on Thursday in St. Nicholas of Myra hall on Francis st. at 7.30
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/75051

mazzyianne said:
It's funny how people here have this, 'yeah it sounds like a great idea, (but i have no intention of going)' thing, whats that about?

I'd never go to something like this, but, all joking aside, I think it's good that people go to the trouble of organising things like this. With the exception of hitler, I prefer people who 'do' things to people who just sit back and point out problems.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
It seems somewhat ironic that anarchists are so obsessed with organising things.
i can't really let that go without a bit of a comment, ro...

anarchism, broadly speaking, is against hierarchies and unjustifiable authority, but it is not against organisation. this is a common misconception, and quite often a misconception which is deliberately reinforced by those who would like to discredit anarchism as a political credo.

on the contrary, anarchism favours ongoing, self-perpetuating organisation on the basis of mutual respect and shared objectives. the whole point is to organise, and that's reflected in the anarchist slogan 'organise, agitate, educate', and also in the anarchist symbol of a circled 'a' - the 'a' is for anarchism, and the circle is actually the letter 'o' - for organisation.

right, nitpick over.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:

Anarchism is an organised ideology, it's about the working class self-organising for the overthrow of capitalism and to run society for their own interests. It's not about chaos, it's about abolishing the class system and the state.

www.struggle.ws/wsm - like :eek:

tom. said:
on the contrary, anarchism favours ongoing, self-perpetuating organisation on the basis of mutual respect and shared objectives. the whole point is to organise, and that's reflected in the anarchist slogan 'organise, agitate, educate', and also in the anarchist symbol of a circled 'a' - the 'a' is for anarchism, and the circle is actually the letter 'o' - for organisation.

right, nitpick over.

The O is traditionally meant to stand for ORDER, "anarchy is order" although if you listen to my indymedia interview with dermo from the bookfair he says it stands for organisation for some reasion, then again he says lots of things.

Apart from that you're on the ball.

Blog Bloc'er said:
. I'm a bit further down on wms's "to be recruited" list than yourself (i aint joining till fin gives me that letter). ask reddy the next time you're out terrorizing the streets.

I joined ages ago, just being curious y'know.

tom. said:
i can't really let that go without a bit of a comment, ro...

anarchism, broadly speaking, is against hierarchies and unjustifiable authority, but it is not against organisation. this is a common misconception, and quite often a misconception which is deliberately reinforced by those who would like to discredit anarchism as a political credo.

right, nitpick over.

Fair enough, it was intended as a pun more than a put down.

Might have to postpone this discussion coz I've too much on me plate to organise it just yet. Thanks for the interesting discussion everyone. Maybe some of you will come to the real life discussion too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back