Football Biographies (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell

Ian Rush was on Ireland AM this morning plugging his autobiography. While I admire him I get the feeling that the book would be a bit boring.

Is there any decent football books out there?

I'm interested in the Cascarino one. Someone told me he goes into detail of how his 'inner bricky' would taunt him everytime he had a goal scoring opportunity causing him to fluff it. haha.

I really want the the stefan effenburg one - its supposed to written in junior cert level german and a complete ego trip. you think oliver kahn was/is big headed!

Cascarino's book is a fantastic read - that was me telling you about the inner brickie - "You're shit. You're just a fucking brickie *fluff*".

Not an autobog but the Garrincha biography is really great.

Rushie is in Easons today. And yeah, I'd say reading his book would be fairly excruciating.

If we can expand this to a general football book thread I'd also recommend The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro & The Damned United.

apparently toni schumachers book alluded to drug abuse and sexual fandangoes among his team mates, and caused him to be utterly shunned by everyone in the game. the germans have such massive egos. i find biographies, especially by players still playing, to be exceptionally dull. stevie gerrard does a whole chapter on the picture of him in an everton shirt. like anyone cares.

it's only a game, by dunphy is alright. of course kupers crucial text football against the enemy is still a good read, less so his ajax/jew thing.

paul mcgraths reads like a bukowski novel.

ultimately footabllers are no sympathetic characters though. cas's book was great, but complaining that his inner bricky causes him to sky over at parkhead isn't tear jerking. you're playing for celtic!! oh i left one beautiful woman for another. 2 million isn't much for 15 years work. like fuck!

Can anyone give me a lend of this?

51dSb-y35tL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

"He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pound - Micky Quinn!"

If the McGrath book is full of boozy/bleach anecdotes i'll read it. Rushie said this morning that McGrath was the greatest player he ever faced.

Are you talking about the Schumacher who almost put that french player into a coma? What an animal.

Cascarino's book is a fantastic read - that was me telling you about the inner brickie - "You're shit. You're just a fucking brickie *fluff*".

Its no wonder he missed all those sitters.

The Frank Stapleton bio is surprisingly good. Possibly because I was reading it with his comedy accent in mind.

Guillem Baligane[spl?] (the journo on Sky's Spanish ball) has written a daycent bio on Rafa-mostly focusing on the CL winning season.
Benitez comes across like a truculent Stanley Kubrick.

Tony Adams autobiography was a pretty good account of a bloke caught in a downward spiral. Ages since I read it, but I recall some pretty strung out shit in there - like him having a freak out when some beer got splashed on his lips while Arsenal were celebrating a league win in their dressing room.

Yeah McGrath's book is amazing alright the perfect mix of footie stories, booze tales and testimony from other pros. The first few chapters about his mum and his childhood are heartbreaking.

My gooner mate is always banging on about Tony Adams' bio but I just can't imagine it being that good 'self pitying donkey escapes from booze - drug - gamblin hell'

Has anyone read Keano's book?? Is it worth reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back