Food Glorious Food (1 Viewer)

I used to work in Diep le Shaker (winner of the Stupidest Restaurant Name Award 2003, 2004) and it made me very very rich.

Spiritualtramp- givvus.

My favourite soup that I make is a spicy tomato and lentil one.
I throw shit loads of onions, garlic (more more more), celery, grated carrots, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, chillis, dried herbs and water into a pot and cook em up. Boil some lentils and a stock cube in another pot, throw em all in together. Simmer simmer simmer. Fresh Herbs. Blend blend. yum yum, maybe with a little sour cream.

You know, cooking is really the greatest thing I do. It's as therapeutic to me as playing making music. When I start to cook I get lost, everything goes away and it's just me and the food. Then I eat the food and feel so happy.

jane said:
This stuff? It is the rockinest. You look at the recipe, and you're like, "Yeah, so?" but then you eat it, and you're like, "Yeah! So!" Have you ever tried this with yoghurt? It makes it taste a hundred times better. Yummmmmm.

Megedarra:

285g (1 3/4 cups) Brown Rice
285g (1 3/4 cups) brown lentils
Sea Salt
Vegetable oil
Black pepper
3 large onions
Yoghurt (plain/natural)

1. Put rice and lentils in large saucepan, pour in boiling water, leave to soak for several hours.
2. Chop one onion finely and fry in a little oil until tenderized and golden
3. Drain rice and lentils, return to saucepan, cover with fresh water, add fried onion and a little sea salt, and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and leave to cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
4. A few minutes before rice and lentils are ready, slice the other 2 onions thinly and fry them in very hot oil, stirring constantly so they don't burn but turn very dark brown.
5. Put the sliced fried onions on top of the rice and lentil mixture. Eat with yoghurt.
my spelling was way off. I thought it was pronounced moo darr de rah.

it is so lovely with yoghurt. especially when it is just out of the pot and is really hot the cold yoghurt really gives it a kick.

I have only made it with orange lentils and white rice. and I don't brown the onions. I might try this version and see if it is nicer.

question - is there much of a difference between red/green/brown lentils?

i know a guy who eats onion sandwiches, raw an all. one night he came in drunk and made sandwiches out of his ma's hyacinth bulbs. the end.

aoifed said:
I used to work in Diep le Shaker (winner of the Stupidest Restaurant Name Award 2003, 2004) and it made me very very rich.

please don't say that they shit / spit in the food. Please...

kirstie said:
please don't say that they shit / spit in the food. Please...
I have worked in many fooderies and I have never ever witnessed anything like this happening. phew.

I used to work in the Winding Stair for a couple of years aswell. This guy used to come in and get blue cheese and raw onion samwiches first thing Monday morning. Also a guy in Eddie Rockets used to come in and drink the mustard straight out of the bottle. yumdiddelyum

aoifed said:
I have worked in many fooderies and I have never ever witnessed anything like this happening. phew.

I used to work in the Winding Stair for a couple of years aswell. This guy used to come in and get blue cheese and raw onion samwiches first thing Monday morning. Also a guy in Eddie Rockets used to come in and drink the mustard straight out of the bottle. yumdiddelyum
I worked in a really nasty restaurant about 12 years ago, and I ended up losing about a stone in the four months I worked there. The food on its own was enough to make me lose interest in eating, but then watching what happened to it in the kitchen....ugh. I got fired because, while driving into work one afternoon, someone cut me off, I flipped them the finger, they came into the restaurant to complain, and the owner fired me and chased me out with a rolling pin.

It ruled.

aoifed can i make friends with you? you seem to like to cook an awful lot. i like to eat. i think we could be mutually beneficial :)

right. here is the lentil soup recipe. serves six.

150g lentils ( I use the orange ones but brown ones will suffice as well)
1 litre of water
1 onion, chopped up
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds

rinse the lentils and chuck them in a pot. add the water and bring to the boil.turn down the heat and cook until the lentils are tender.

in a frying pan fry the onions in the olive oil until they are soft.then chuck them into the pot and get a blender and blend the shit out of the lentils and onions. chuck in some salt and pepper.
then get a frying pan and dry fry the cumin seeds until they release their yummy aroma. whack them into the pot.
re-heat the soup and serve.

recipe wars!

this is how I make the moudardarah.

200g long grain rice
340g lentils (I use the orange ones)
500 ml of water
1 onion, chopped up
3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper (I find pepper ground from a peppermill to be superior)

rinse the lentils and rice (keep them seperate)
chuck the lentils into the water and bring to the boil.
whilst doing this, fry the onions in olive oil until they are soft.
when the lentils are soft chuck in the rice, fried onion some salt and pepper. cover the pot and leave on a low heat for oooh about 20 minutes.

serve with fuckloads of plain yoghurt.

aoifed said:
6: Trying to devise new and clever ways to eat real butter
7: Eating too much toast because I love real butter
who says shit ads dont work ;)

prefer the "cyber" butter meself cos one night i was out on a date with this buuuurd and it was going really well and eventually we got back to my place she told me that if i didnt start to prefer pretend butter i wouldnt get any...

yes yes yes. this is like some kind of dream come true. Right now I am taking a little break from making carrot and coriander soup.

Loads and loads of carrots
A fair few potatoes
Best part of a head of celery
3 big onions
A big handful of sunflower seeds
a head of garlic
a chilli
a fair wack of ginger
a big load of fresh coriander
a big load of fresh parsley
some dried herbs
a little salt, sugar and lemon juice at the end

Fry up the sunflower seeds for a bit. Then throw in the onions, garlic, celery chilli, ginger and dried herbs.
Then throwin all the rest (except the fresh herbs), and a kettle of bailt waaather and a stock cube. Bring it all to the boil and then simmer until the carrots are soft.
Throw in the fresh herbs somewhere along the way.
Then add the salt sugar and lemon juice to your own taste.
Whizz whizz, yum yum.

moc said:
who says shit ads dont work ;)

prefer the "cyber" butter meself cos one night i was out on a date with this buuuurd and it was going really well and eventually we got back to my place she told me that if i didnt start to prefer pretend butter i wouldnt get any...
:D :D :D
Yeah, I hope some dude asks me out on a date and we play some of those virtual reality games. sexy.

spiritualtramp said:
question - is there much of a difference between red/green/brown lentils?
Yep - red lentils tend to go mushy when you cook (or should that over cook) them. Brown ones work good in stuff like veggie lasagna or other recipes that might use mince.

Butter stinks!

aoifed said:
1: Fresh fresh fresh. None of your fancy packaged stuff
i recently spent an obscene amount of money bringing back fresh/proper ingredients from italy. well, not obscene, it just would have cost me five times the amount if i'd bought the stuff here and it wouldn't even have been half as nice. like being nice, ingredients are important.

aoifed said:
2: Olives, all the olives
olives? horrible things. eugh!

aoifed said:
9: Big fat vats of spicy soup for the winter warmth
i make a killer chili and ginger soup, especially for when it gets cold and you have a blue nose and toes. i'll tell you how to make it soon. it's not cold enough yet. oddly enough, it works best as a veggie soup.

aoifed said:
10: Stuffed peppers
'had them a couple of times, was never really taken. do you have a secret recipe?

aoifed said:
You know, cooking is really the greatest thing I do. It's as therapeutic to me as playing making music. When I start to cook I get lost, everything goes away and it's just me and the food. Then I eat the food and feel so happy.
hi-5 TTM. total emphatical agreesies, mmmm-k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back