• Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
You know I find now that whether there is good food or not is a big factor in whether I enjoy being in a foreign country or not. So I want to know people's good and bad experiences of the cuisine in countries they have been to. To get the ball rolling .... for me ...

Countries With Great Food

1. Thailand. You know its gonna be good obviously but I wasn't prepared for how full-on amazing it is. Eat off some place by the side of the street - it's amazing. Eat in a fancy restaurant in Bangkok - it's amazing too. Coconut curries, stir-frys, chillies, Tom Yam soup, incredible seafood. Yum yum.

2. China. Specifically Shanghai. Awesome variety of things to eat. You can go into a place, order a collossal amount of food for several people, and spend less than 15 euros on the whole lot. And it's fabulous.

3. France. Obviously.

Countries with Bad Food

1. Cuba. Rice and beans. More rice and beans. Rice and beans with Pork. Rice and beans with beef. More rice and beans. Food is better if you eat in people's houses but then the food in real restaurants is mostly so awful that anything would be an improvement.

2. Spain. I know this is controversial but I have come to the conclusion that apart from cosmopolitan urban areas like Barca and Madrid, Spanish food is wildly over-rated. Okay the tapas stuff is great but aside from that its all the same everywhere. And not really all that exciting. Except for the seafood which is fantastic. Also, Spain is a disaster zone if you are vegetarian.

Countries with allegedly excellent food that I want to visit.

1. Italy. Never really been to Italy properly but I assume the food is amazing.

2. Vietnam. Better even than Thailand it is alleged ...

Anyone care to add ....???

Great food:

1.Poland - great hearthy soups and meats to warm you up proper.

2.Czech Republic - always had great experiences with food here, nice and hearthy meals.

3.Zanzibar - Fish, Octopus, fish, fish...coconut sauce, fish, octopus....all good and fresh.

Not so great food:

1.Morocco - the same 3 items on the menu..tajjina or something like that

2.Tanzania - got food posioning from street vendor food in Dar Es Salaam.

-------------
I have`nt travelled to Asia or anything so thats me done!

Rimbaud said:
Great food:

1.Poland - great hearthy soups and meats to warm you up proper.

2.Czech Republic - always had great experiences with food here, nice and hearthy meals.

3.Zanzibar - Fish, Octopus, fish, fish...coconut sauce, fish, octopus....all good and fresh.

Poland really? I'm kinda surprised as I have written off Eastern Europe when it comes to the grub ... probably unfairly. Been to Prague and found the food okay but not great. Zanzibar ... oh yes! I had a squid curry there that tasted like not other squid I have had before or since. I still fantasise about it.

Rimbaud said:
Not so great food:

1.Morocco - the same 3 items on the menu..tajjina or something like that

2.Tanzania - got food posioning from street vendor food in Dar Es Salaam.

Agreed on both counts!

I thought Poland was the best for big meaty meals - i like that anyway so...soups, stews and such.
Krakow/Zakopane were the places i visited.Mainly visit local-ish restaurants for the proper deal.
Czech Republic can be hit and miss at times i guess.Mostly good i thought..

Italy. Jesus. It's where deliciousness was invented. Eat cannoli until you blow out your tubes.

One of the best meals I've ever had was at an Indian place called Swagat, on Vasilevsky Island in St Petersburg. It's a bit of a hike from the more central areas, but it's like nothing I've ever eaten. The service was unbeatable, and 3 of us ate 2 courses and wine for less than 20 euro in total. It was so good, I nearly cried.

In Poland, pierogies and pancakes and other heavy, cream-laden goodies made me very, very happy.

In Fiji, taro root in coconut, and lots of tubers you'd never even dreamed of, made in delicious ways were lovely. Food in touristy places is, however, hit-and-miss. And if you're staying on an outlying island, you'll most likely be in a beach hut resort, and there can sometimes be far too little of it. One of them was like being at fat camp. If you were vegetarian, instead of a main course, you got a banana. After four days, I was never so happy to see a Pringle.

Indonesia is amazing for veggie stuff. Amazing tofu and tempe dishes in Padang Padang places on Bali. Definately my fave.

I was dissapointed with Spain apart from the Fallaffel place on the Ramblas.
Actually the stuff from the markets was good.

I'm headin to Italy in march and can't wait to try the food.

moose said:
Indonesia is amazing for veggie stuff. Amazing tofu and tempe dishes in Padang Padang places on Bali. Definately my fave.

I was dissapointed with Spain apart from the Fallaffel place on the Ramblas.
Actually the stuff from the markets was good.

I'm headin to Italy in march and can't wait to try the food.

There's a restaurant in Rome I should recommend to you. I ate there when I was a kid, and I've still never had such perfect pizza. It's changed name now, but my folks were there last summer and said it's still as good. I'll find out and let you know.

Try to avoid this place!!

cannibal_island.gif

i have details at home for the most amazing restuarant in rome, will post them later

when you get there there is a sign above the door saying something along the lines of "you will eat what we give you".
they have no menu, at all

its just near the pantheon and the place is run by this old couple and their kids wait on the tables.
you get a 5 course meal of *incredible* food, with no idea what you will get, the owner is a surly auld git who will make a move on your lady, and its incredibly cheap

i remember our bill, for 2 5 course meals and a couple of litres of wine was €34

i need to go there again soon

French food good? Yuck. Frog's arse with a bit of steak haché and green beans. However, the Frenchies make amazing Italian food, dead cheap and they generally use wood burning stoves.

Korean food is the bomb! Barbequed beef & bee-bim-ba (i really don't know how to spell that), especially the kind in the red hot stone earthenware bowl where you mix around the raw egg..mmm.

ah, here we go

Trattoria der Pallaro where above the door is posted "qui se mangia quello che passa la casa" which means
"here you will eat what we want to feed you." there's no menu and you have no choice,
except i think they ask you if you want red or white wine. it's a husband and wife team.
the wife cooks the food and Giovanni just raises havoc. i don't know what i ate but it was delicious. "a five-course meal is about €20, including wine, coffee, and a wonderful mandarin liqueur. a block south of Corso Vittorio Emanuele down Largo del Chiavari to Largo del Pallaro 15, tel. 06-6880-1488)."

dudley said:
ah, here we go

Trattoria der Pallaro where above the door is posted "qui se mangia quello che passa la casa" which means

"here you will eat what we want to feed you." there's no menu and you have no choice,

except i think they ask you if you want red or white wine. it's a husband and wife team.

the wife cooks the food and Giovanni just raises havoc. i don't know what i ate but it was delicious. "a five-course meal is about €20, including wine, coffee, and a wonderful mandarin liqueur. a block south of Corso Vittorio Emanuele down Largo del Chiavari to Largo del Pallaro 15, tel. 06-6880-1488)."

This kind of stuff makes me wish I ate meat.

Some of these properly traditional Italian restaurants do cater to veggies, though. They won't make you a whole new main course, but they'll be damn sure you don't go hungry.

Dear Santa, Now that you're done bringing Playstations to brats who don't deserve them, can you please send me some tickets to Italy? I haven't been all that good this year, but sure, fuck it. Gotta eat, like. Thanks! Love, Janey.

Don't think I'll be in Rome but thanks for the info. Actually I'm not sure where I'm gonna be, think somewhere north. My sister's gonna be over there for a few months as part of her degree.

Ps. How'd you know Santa got me the trip?

i dunno i was in dubrovnik and some of the islands around ther and it was terrible.

dunno about fast food though.

Wavioli said:
i thought the fast food over there was great. but im low brow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back