Food allergy tests (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
For some reason I have become allergic to certain food products (slight red rash appearing on wrist or neck or stomach after eating). I've a feeling it could be a dairy thing as it usually appears after eating yoghurts/ cheese. But also from certain cakes/ pastries - anything with saturated fat I suppose.

Anybody know of places in Dublin that do food allergy tests?
I could ask a Doctor I suppose, but I heard a lot of them are not very helpful.

Its really annoying as it has just started happening in the last year or so...
Cheers!

I think I have become allergic to... I dunno really, like really refined white flour, but not really the flour itself but some additive in the flour.
I am guessing its something like modified corn starch.

I can't eat doughnuts, or pastries, or that American pancake mix. I dont get a rash, I get really choked up and congested and phlegmy.

Either way, this has only happened I think over the last few years. Its weird.

I think its possible though that you are right, about developing the problem later in life.

http://www.allergy-ireland.net/ was recommended to me (by an immunologist i know) ages ago but i haven't had the money to do it, but it's supposed to be thorough and really good. if you were going to bother, they sound like the place to do it.

edit: from what i've heard (i am not a doctor and don't even play one on the internets), you can get more allergic by exposure, rather than desensitising. which is a bummer and ruins my theory that i should just keep eating peanuts and MAN UP through the ensuing wheezing. (relatively)later in life doesn't seem too rare, either.

http://www.allergy-ireland.net/ was recommended to me (by an immunologist i know) ages ago but i haven't had the money to do it, but it's supposed to be thorough and really good. if you were going to bother, they sound like the place to do it.

edit: from what i've heard (i am not a doctor and don't even play one on the internets), you can get more allergic by exposure, rather than desensitising. which is a bummer and ruins my theory that i should just keep eating peanuts and MAN UP through the ensuing wheezing. (relatively)later in life doesn't seem too rare, either.

Cheers Carbide.
I might look into that at some stage, although it seems to be for more serious allergies. Its trying to figure out exactly whats causing it. Like Flashback said, its possibly one minor ingredient (that happens to be in lots of stuff), that seems to be the cause. Its mildly headwrecking at this stage!

I went to a woman a few years ago.
It had gotten so bad that i couldnt drink anymore one beer would make me throw up.

The woman's name is Judy Lynham she works from her home in killester.
She uses a machine to test your different allergys to different food groups.

With me she found out that i had a low tollerence to yeast and thats where my problems came from.
It was great and totally cleared up everything.

Cant seem to find her number but she is under advanced allergy testing in the golden pages.

It had gotten so bad that i couldnt drink anymore one beer would make me throw up.

With me she found out that i had a low tollerence to yeast and thats where my problems came from.

Cant seem to find her number but she is under advanced allergy testing in the golden pages.

Expensive?

Cheers Sifi, might check that out. Found the website here..http://www.advanced-allergy-testing.com/

Cheers Sifi, might check that out. Found the website here..http://www.advanced-allergy-testing.com/

hrmm, call me a nasty old ben goldacre stylee cynic, but i am deeply suspicious of anything with "toxins", "reflexology", "instant results!", "bioenergetic", and "the test just uses a single acupuncture point!" written all over it.

not that i don't believe in allergy testing (having several lovely allergies myself) or acupuncture (i have had great results from acupuncture for sinusitis), but if i were you, i'd go to a proper allergist like carbide recommended. they may put you on a horrible exclusion diet for a while, mind. did you know that nobody is allergic to pears?

You should all go out and get yourself infected with tapeworms.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125713.800-distraction-tactic-wipes-out-allergies.html

Seriously. To the first approx. no one in Africa have allergies, nor do they have auto immune disorders. (MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc.)

Its not a difficult to explain the broad strokes,
Animals spend millions of years evolving complex systems to keep parasites at bay
Suddenly animals get no parasites any more, ever.
Entire wing of immune system has nothing to do.
Decides its going to start a fight with.... you.

So git yerselves some wurums.

hrmm, call me a nasty old ben goldacre stylee cynic, but i am deeply suspicious of anything with "toxins", "reflexology", "instant results!", "bioenergetic", and "the test just uses a single acupuncture point!" written all over it.

not that i don't believe in allergy testing (having several lovely allergies myself) or acupuncture (i have had great results from acupuncture for sinusitis), but if i were you, i'd go to a proper allergist like carbide recommended. they may put you on a horrible exclusion diet for a while, mind. did you know that nobody is allergic to pears?

im as cynical as most people when it comes to this type of stuff. but it worked for me and it was after two years of having some pretty nasty tests done by Normal doctors who esentially told me that it was all in my head when they couldnt find an ulcer.

they may put you on a horrible exclusion diet for a while, mind. did you know that nobody is allergic to pears?

Exclusion diets suck. The last time I was on one I gave up wheat, yeast, refined sugars, alcohol, chili, garlic, caffeine, dairy and tomatoes. That's pretty much every dish ever, so WTF did I eat? I actually can't remember.

Although I felt much better, the diet didn't last long, because I love delicious, delicious food.

These days I react to some mystery ingredient in some take away food and some prepared foods. My guess is that it is something like cornflour too.

It could be MSG either, lots of people are allergic to that.

Is anyone actually allergic to cucumbers? I think I've mentioned this before, but I tell people in restaurants that I am, cause it sounds more plausible than "I have an irrational phobia about them and will scream if you put any on my plate."

I have a similar feeling about Kiwi skins.

Thinking about the bastards sets off my jangly teeth nerves.
Once they're peeled though, and preferably pulverised and out of sight so I dont have to be reminded of their evil coatings, then I will eat them.

I almost left a decent job in a kitchen because someone said there was kiwis involved. In the end they relented.

It could be MSG either, lots of people are allergic to that.

Is anyone actually allergic to cucumbers? I think I've mentioned this before, but I tell people in restaurants that I am, cause it sounds more plausible than "I have an irrational phobia about them and will scream if you put any on my plate."

yeah you're probably right about MSG - it's in nearly every take away dish and it can bring out lots of different symptoms. It makes me feel sick, gives me hot flushes sometimes and can cause headaches too. It's an evil, evil thing! :( Luckily it's only really bad if I eat an actual meal with it in it (like at a chinese restaurant). I remember going to an expensive restaurant with the boyf once and about five bites into my sweet and sour thinking I was going to vomit on the table. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back