Folk Horror (3 Viewers)

Oooh
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I enjoyed this a lot

Caravan creepiness. The second most creepy caravan after

I feel a trip to Manchester might be on the cards

Recently I've been reading a lot of folk horror adjacent books...

Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling - Folk horror for kids! Although light on the horror but there's still an eerie vibe to this tale of two kids who meet Puck in a woods and he tells them stories and poems with an occult/pagan twist. Very good

Lord Dunsany Mythos - Big influence on Tolkein this is a pantheon of imagined polytheistic deities by some Anglo irish Lord in the 20s which is short and fucking brilliant but also a bit like that Simpson episode which is like "Abraham begat Isaac, Isaac begat Jacob" but with made up pagan Gods

Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand - knock off of The Secret History. A college student gets embroiled in a secret pagan society that wants to possess this chick with the goddess Diana. Immortal beings and human sacrifices and loads about Greek paganism.

The Land Across by Gene Wolfe - Kafkaesque Eastern European folk horror

The Old Gods Waken by Manly Wade Wellman. Appalachian folk horror about two "druids" who bring the old religion from Scotland to the hills of Appalachia. Features direct references to Wicker Men.

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley Zimmer. Not really a horror but it's the King Arthur myth told from the POV of The Morrigan and central conceit is the clash between the old pagan religion and Christianity. Stunning.

Hekla's Children by James Brogden. Bunch of kids disappear on a hike and it's connected with a sacrificed bog man that is discovered in Lancashire. Spooky fun, with elements of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. More of a fantasy about a group of modern day Canadians who get whisked off to some kind of Faerie land and there's a subplot about sacrificing a king to bring prosperity. Good stuff.

Also started reading the Conan the Barbarian stories by Robert E Howard which is heavily influenced by celtic paganism.

some Anglo irish Lord
Talk about underplaying Dunsany. His work was a huge influence on everyone in the early half of the 20th century. The other big author whose work was heavily indebted to him was Lovecraft, who actually went to see him when Dunsany was doing a lecture tour on myth across the US.

Fun fact, I met the current Lord Dunsany at Swans in the Academy.

Talk about underplaying Dunsany. His work was a huge influence on everyone in the early half of the 20th century. The other big author whose work was heavily indebted to him was Lovecraft, who actually went to see him when Dunsany was doing a lecture tour on myth across the US.

Fun fact, I met the current Lord Dunsany at Swans in the Academy.
Lol, sorry Lord Dunsany.

Users who are viewing this thread

• error type 11
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back