Foggy Notions presents...Grizzly Bear, Vicar St., Nov 1st (1 Viewer)

new album is very hit and miss..with more misses than hits I'm afraid..outside of two weeks and cheerleader it's pretty average..in some sense the Dept of Eagles album stole some of V's thunder..the Dan Rossen tunes on V all sound the same.
Still a very interesting band with enough tunes to make for an excellent show

I don't get what they did at ATP that's so bad. They snubbed their fans on the beach? But the video shows them surrounded by fans. Maybe they needed shots of them walking along later on without people around them.

I don't get this whole thing that people seem to think that the bands owe them loads of face time. Sure they should stop and chat with people every so often but if they're trying to do something and people are getting in the way then it's the fans that are being dickheads, not the band.

You don't own a band because you listen to their albums. Granted if a band are acting like dickheads then call it but sometimes, well.... sometimes fans are dickheads too. It works both ways - you have to give people space sometimes.

Anyways - 22 euro is pretty reasonable for Grizzly Bear in Vicar Street I reckon.

So hot right now. I agree with the "an album I like that I don't put on that much" synopsis however.

On the other hand, they were bloody fantastic to hear in person with all the harmonies wailing together, better than on the record.

25 quid for a standing ticket. not 22.

which means the ticketmaster fuckers get to add on more for themselves.

I don't get why a big venue means you have to pay more for a ticket (if thats the presumed logic). Surely it should be the other way around?

not that I'm complaining in this instance. Though I'd have rathered 22 to 25.

I don't get why a big venue means you have to pay more for a ticket (if thats the presumed logic). Surely it should be the other way around?

Are there economies of scale for venues? I'm not sure that there are. Am pretty sure it costs more than 3 times the cost of booking a place like Whelan's to book like Vicar St.

Also if a band are stepping up to bigger rooms then they'd probably also be looking for a bigger fee.

more like 10/12 times the cost. huge operational costs to run shows in big venues.

and yes you're right Ian - big acts demand big fees.

Are there economies of scale for venues? I'm not sure that there are. Am pretty sure it costs more than 3 times the cost of booking a place like Whelan's to book like Vicar St.

Also if a band are stepping up to bigger rooms then they'd probably also be looking for a bigger fee.

more like 10/12 times the cost. huge operational costs to run shows in big venues.

and yes you're right Ian - big acts demand big fees.

wow, thats quite a hike.

out of interest, whats the criteria when selecting a venue? Is it purely how many people you think will turn up? Or do the band specify a preference for a venue of a certain capacity? Or is it their fee that stipulates you need to recoup a certain amount from ticket sales, and hence a bigger venue is needed? Are GB demanding a lot more for now than their last show?

Like, could GB not have done 2 nites in Whelans rather than 1 in Vicar St (assuming they were free to do so)?

sorry for being so nosy.

yes the size of the venue reflects the demand and the amount money you need to pay the guarantee the act. GB are in big demand all over Europe so dates are thin on the ground (it was difficult enough to get one night) it makes more sense to do a big venue one night rather than multiple shows in a smaller venue.

wow, thats quite a hike.

out of interest, whats the criteria when selecting a venue? Is it purely how many people you think will turn up? Or do the band specify a preference for a venue of a certain capacity? Or is it their fee that stipulates you need to recoup a certain amount from ticket sales, and hence a bigger venue is needed? Are GB demanding a lot more for now than their last show?

Like, could GB not have done 2 nites in Whelans rather than 1 in Vicar St (assuming they were free to do so)?

sorry for being so nosy.

yes the size of the venue reflects the demand and the amount money you need to pay the guarantee the act. GB are in big demand all over Europe so dates are thin on the ground (it was difficult enough to get one night) it makes more sense to do a big venue one night rather than multiple shows in a smaller venue.

ya should have done it in Whelans you greedy scumbag

steep price.

also, after their dickhead shenanigans a few years ago at ATP i'd be put off even looking at them. pity since they are a rather talented bunch.
snubbed their fans on the beach while shooting a shitty video.

A friend of mine was at ATP this year and said he had a chance to approach all of the group at various times, that they were very friendly and even told him what cabin they were staying in and to knock on by.

Ed was extremely nice when I met him, but even if Grizzly Bear were a shower of ba$tards I don't think it would stop me listening to them or seeing them live.

It's €24.20 to see them in Paris, by the way.

St Vincent is confirmed as special guest to Grizzly Bear at Vicar St on November 1st

Following the release of her acclaimed second album Actor (4AD label) St. Vincent (née Annie Clark) returns to Dublin as special guest to Grizzly Bear at Vicar St on November 1st.

Two years ago, Annie Clark’s recorded debut as St. Vincent, Marry Me, gave immediate notice that a dizzying new talent had emerged from the flatlands of Texas. Critics from all points of the cultural compass—from Pitchfork to Spin to the New York Times Magazine—were entranced by the album’s precocious arrangements and elegant lyrics, and the steadily growing crowds at St. Vincent’s live shows were astonished by Clark’s gargantuan musical chops and her magnetic stage presence. No small number of St. Vincent fans took the title of ‘Marry Me’ literally, had their hearts duly broken, and wouldn’t have had it any other way. The record was heralded as a remarkably successful entrance and Clark capped a year of international touring by winning the Plug Awards’ Female Artist of the Year.

Actor takes the ambitious compositional and sonic underpinnings of Clark’s debut as a starting point and never looks back. The arrangements are more masterful, the songwriting grander, the performances ever more confident and inspired. Speaking for the first time about Actor, Annie Clark commented, “I wanted to make these songs technicolour animatronic rides.”

“a playful chanteuse [and] fearsome shredder” said the New York Times.

www.ilovestvincent.com

Can you move this forward a couple of weeks? I'm going to be in Germany. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back