FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENTS DIRTY PROJECTORS + NORTHSTATION, NOV 22 (1 Viewer)

Foggy

FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENTS
DIRTY PROJECTORS
PLUS SPECIAL GUESTS NORTHSTATION
WHELAN’S, NOV 22ND
TICKETS FROM WAV/TICKETMASTER/CITY DISCS/ROAD

Dirty Projectors is the brainchild of musical mastermind David Longstreth. Over the past four years, the Brooklyn-based artist has fronted five different live incarnations of Dirty Projectors and has released four full-lengths and one EP spanning afro-pop, sub-fi folk and art punk. His first album, The Graceful Fallen Mango was released under his own name and introduced his distinctive arrangements of both lo-fi and hi-fi production. Longstreth released his first album as Dirty Projectors in 2003 entitled The Glad Fact (produced by Yume Bitsu’s Adam Forkner) with Western Vinyl. Slaves’ Graves and Ballads was his third proper full-length, classified as Dirty Projectors’ most accessible work. In 2005, he released The Getty Address, a concept album surrounding musician Don Henley – think Justin Timberlake and 19th century opera. Most recently he released Rise Above, a retelling of Black Flag's seminal punk album Damaged as re-imagined from memory.

“I didn't listen to the album or read the lyrics while I was doing it, and I hadn't heard the record since middle school. I relied on memory and intuition mostly. I wanted to see if I could make this album myself, not as plagiarism or mimicry, but as an original creative act. I did it because I thought it might be fun to stage my own theft of the punk rock spirit, like they did with new wave and grunge and American Idol. Only my doing it would be more like an observation than an action: not muscular at all: purposely useless, beautiful, like a witness.”

Rise Above resounds with a kind of elegant simplicity: beautiful interlocking guitar parts, gorgeous three-part vocal harmonies, and some great songwriting. Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear manned the knobs, giving Rise Above the same rich sound that he brought to his own band's acclaimed album Yellow House. Rise Above captures the inventiveness and raw power of Dirty Projectors' live arrangements at long last.

“Rise Above will drop plenty of jaws. Rise Above finally displays the perfect counterargument to the portrait of Longstreth as another nutso college dropout: It displays a pattern.” - Pitchfork

“The simplicity of Rise Above is foreign and refreshing; like Indian or African music, you can find comfort in not understanding how the sounds coalesce.” – Stylus Magazine

www.myspace.com/dirtyprojectors

NORTHSTATION

Northstation is Dublin musician Steve Fanagan. Steve began recording as Northstation in 1999, when he provided the soundtrack for a collection of short films. 2001 saw the release of the first Northstation album, plink.plonk, a collection of songs originally compiled for the din sound exhibition. This was followed by some live performances. In 2003 Steve began work on the Bears album, which was released in July 2004, on risc records. Since releasing Bears, Northstation has gigged extensively playing alongside many and varied musicians. 2006 saw the release of the third Northstation album, Wagtail. In February of this year Northstation released an EP of remixes of music by bands such as Hood, Halfset, Herv and others. Steve currently works as a sound engineer and college tutor, and releases music under several different names. He also runs a small independent label called Slow Loris.

www.stevefanagan.com

All of these are excellent, I highly recommend them. Here's another Daytrotter session, an earlier one which has tunes from New Attitude EP. I'd go so far as to say I prefer these versions that the ones of the EP itself....cannae wait.

These are the folk that opened for the Rednecks right?

My favourite Mongrel review ever (that's not saying much).

36aa.jpg
2%
Dirty Projectors
Rise Above
Rough Trade

Everyone whom this group should be able to trust in this world is lying to them on a daily basis about their abilities as musicians.
Nicols

These are the folk that opened for the Rednecks right?

My favourite Mongrel review ever (that's not saying much).

36aa.jpg
2%
Dirty Projectors
Rise Above
Rough Trade

Everyone whom this group should be able to trust in this world is lying to them on a daily basis about their abilities as musicians.
Nicols

There's been much funnier reviews than that in Mongrel.

Mongrel's record reviews are up their own fucking asses. FACT.

Thought the gig tonight was great, as someone put it 'like Deerhoof
meets Fela Kuti'. Deadly buzz. And also new entry to ' I have the horn
for.. thread' *

* see ' I have the horn for.. thread'

Yeah, they were amazing tonight.. deserved more than a half-full Whelans. 'Imagine It' at near-rockabilly speed was completely mental. Love the vocal interplay stuff. The Mongrel reviewer who says they have limited musical ability can eat his own ass, frankly (after first attempting to play a polyrhythmic guitar part at 180bpm while also singing off the beat in perfect time).

Jesus, I thought the Mongrel review was funny. You shouldn't take their reviews at all seriously! Nor, should really take anyone's that seriously.

But anyway, fucking hell they were sweet alast night.

There were no effects pedals on show*, not even a tuner - all just straight guitar/drums/vocals interplay. I get the feeling that Dave Longstreth is a genuine weirdo, or at least he's putting it on very well. I said told it reminded me African music and he blurted back slightly goofily "yeh, African music made by white guys!" Seemed funny at the time, less so written down.

As for random throwing references together, that Deerhoof meets Fela Kuti (or maybe King Sunny Ade, cos I don't actually know any Fela Kuti that well) seems appropriate. They did deserve more than a half full Whelans, but I only know two people who've heard of them, and one of them is my brother. They don't even seem to be popular on here!

Also, first time in new Whelans... the bigger bar is good but the venue seems a bit unfinished or something. I liked the old crumbling stage with the old gaelicy shit all over it. New PA was very rocking, though I would know much about that, but it sounded very good.

*clearly Northstation had taken all the effects pedals. Ever. I didn't like it at all.

The Mongrel reviewer who says they have limited musical ability can eat his own ass, frankly (after first attempting to play a polyrhythmic guitar part at 180bpm while also singing off the beat in perfect time).

Maybe to his oafish cloth ears that can't appreciate such amazingness it sounded like a load of fucking unlistenable bullshit (save for the harmonies that the ladies do), which is how it sounded to me when they played their earlier in the year.

Maybe to his oafish cloth ears that can't appreciate such amazingness it sounded like a load of fucking unlistenable bullshit (save for the harmonies that the ladies do), which is how it sounded to me when they played their earlier in the year.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but the guy in the review was claiming that they had "no musical ability"... so unless it was a joke, he's quite wrong. They have chops coming out of their bums.

Unlistenable bullshit? Way harsh Ian. Way way harsh!

Unlistenable bullshit? Way harsh Ian. Way way harsh!

You know, on an artistic level I can kinda respect them because watching them play made me really, really angry for some reason and regardless of my opinion of their music I'll give them something for eliciting that visceral a reaction from me. Which is more than I can say for unlistenable bullshit like Wolf Eyes which just utterly bored me when I saw them.

As for chops coming out their bums, that may be true but it seems to me that sometimes being a brilliant musician is a hindrance to making good music because you wind up showing off your technique rather than making something that sounds good.

I reserve the right to change my opinion on them completely on a whim like I did with Animal Collective though, I used to be pretty vehement in my hatred of Feels.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the gig last night would've turned you round on them.. the grating aspects to the last performance weren't there this time.

Yeh my friend who saw them with the Rednecks said they had much more grating last time around. The Rise Above album is class.

Of course I realise that chops may equal boredom and or wankery but I find their guitar play really interesting and exciting throughout. The girl stage right (Amber, I think) was fucking savage as well as yer man. It reminded me a bit of Owls/ Victor Villarreal (is that his name) and that craggy skronky style that can seem to go anywhere at any moment but still hold together in an unusual kind of way.

Also, don't get the hatred of Feels! Not just disliking it, but really really hating it... its such a happy album. I love Banshee Beat. The live version on the bonus disc version is even better. Goes on for ten minutes. Lovely stuff.

The girl stage right (Amber, I think) was fucking savage as well as yer man. It reminded me a bit of Owls/ Victor Villarreal

Jesus! I wouldn't go that far!
She was ok.

I thought the whole band were ok.
Not much more.
I was quite tired tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back