Foggy Notions Presents...DEERHUNTER, Whelan's, Aug 23 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents

DEERHUNTER

Whelan’s

Sunday August 23rd, 8pm

Tickets available from www.tickets.ie, City Discs, Sound Cellar, WAV & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

Having stuffed Andrew’s Lane Theatre to the gills earlier in the year and knocked your socks off with last year’s (dare we say) album of the year Microcastles (4AD) and the recent Rainwater Cassette Exchange EP, Atlanta’s awesome Deerhunter bring their silky drones and razor-blade pop for an intimate stop-off at their favourite Dublin venue, Whelan’s.

"A massive, psych-heavy, art-damaged five-piece, and one of the most inspired new bands we've heard in quite a while." – Pitchfork, 9.2

“Microcastle could be 4AD’s best release in well over a decade.” - MOJO

“Mr. Cox sings about time, perception, crucifixion and murder, while the band maintains its gift for realizing just how far a small idea can be carried through repetition and accretion.” – New York Times

“Microcastle's counterintuitive sequencing turns out to be a coup as the band pass through Sonic Youth/Galaxie 500 noise-pop, lose themselves in a wintry ambient blur, and emerge, emboldened, with Nothing Ever Happened's astonishing motorik wig-out, one of the finest songs of the year.” – The Guardian, 4/5

“Deerhunter weave ethereal, wraithlike songs that touch the heights of Flaming Lips, Pavement and My Bloody Valentine.” – Time Out

Check out the videos:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

www.myspace.com/deerhunter
www.deerhuntertheband.blogspot.com

Support from... ANGKORWAT

Angkorwat

“Short, simple compositions bursting their seams with trapped energy and
characterised by a certain ghostly, something-wrong feeling. Niamh has
agreed to release an album on Osaka Recordings, as well as a nebulous net
release on the fantastic Rack and Ruin.” -Those Geese Were Stupefied

Angkorwat is a classical violinist who went back to square one to type out basic melodies on a macbook keyboard. It’s the result of several obsessions including synesthesia, Romaine Brooks, Mozart, Cambodian temples and hidden histories.
www.myspace.com/angkorwatwat

Primavera set was remarkably good especially considering that I thought the gig I'd seen them play on the previous biggest stage in Vicar St. was probably the worst set I'd seen them play. I think bradford may have been ill that night. ALT gig was really good too.

Primavera set was remarkably good especially considering that I thought the gig I'd seen them play on the previous biggest stage in Vicar St. was probably the worst set I'd seen them play. I think bradford may have been ill that night. ALT gig was really good too.

Yeah the Vicar St set wasn't great but jaysus ALT and Primavera the week or so after were both brilliant! Can't wait for tomorrow now .|..|

I still maintain that the ALT show was crap if you weren't right down the front. Think it's telling that they sold out ALT, but not Whelans after that show.

Edit: But I have my ticket for tomorrow night and can't wait.

I still maintain that the ALT show was crap if you weren't right down the front. Think it's telling that they sold out ALT, but not Whelans after that show.

Edit: But I have my ticket for tomorrow night and can't wait.

wow i hadn't heard of crap sound at that show. I was right up the front though and it did sound great!

Was near the back at ALT, lots of people around me just chatted all through the gig:mad:. Looking forward to tomorrow and seeing them in a proper venue.|..|
Any word on stage times yet?

You sure you don't mean awesome? They just keep getting better.

Thought it could be best described as "meh".

Not as bad as the Vicar St gig but not even close to ALT or Primavera. Bradford didn't seem into in the slightest. Think the crowd were more into it than he was. Encore banter was kinda funny but before that I wouldn't have been surprised if tumbleweed had blown across the stage.

I'd give it 5 out of 10.

I thought they were excellent.

"Not as good as Primavera" is a Thumped cliché by now, right?

The banter was precariously/hilariously balanced on the edge of being confrontational. He was definitely in bad form, but who cares? They rocked. Nothing Ever Happened was a bit disappointing... on record, it relies heavily on the clear definition of guitars I think and it's not as impressive as a messier live experience. Everything else was ace.

I thought they were excellent.

"Not as good as Primavera" is a Thumped cliché by now, right?

The banter was precariously/hilariously balanced on the edge of being confrontational. He was definitely in bad form, but who cares? They rocked. Nothing Ever Happened was a bit disappointing... on record, it relies heavily on the clear definition of guitars I think and it's not as impressive as a messier live experience. Everything else was ace.

At the risk of sounding cliched, Nothing Ever Happened at Primavera 2 years ago was one of my best live music experiences ever! Bradford on top of the monitors towering above everyone (more so than ususal) doing his finger tapping riff for what seemed like an eternity. Mindblowing!!!!

You're 100% right though, a good balance of guitars in the mix is needed for that song live.

this gig was sublime. sound was perfect.

cheers foggy for bringing em back.

oh and chutney, you were wearing sponge earplugs! does everything not sound shite with them in?

That was a millon times better than ALT. Good to hear some of the weird era stuff.

At the risk of sounding cliched, Nothing Ever Happened at Primavera 2 years ago was one of my best live music experiences ever! Bradford on top of the monitors towering above everyone (more so than ususal) doing his finger tapping riff for what seemed like an eternity. Mindblowing!!!!

You're 100% right though, a good balance of guitars in the mix is needed for that song live.

Sorry about the cliché stuff. Knobbery.

this gig was sublime. sound was perfect.

cheers foggy for bringing em back.

oh and chutney, you were wearing sponge earplugs! does everything not sound shite with them in?

Nah, depends on how far you jam them in. They really only take off a good bit of high end frequencies anyway. The sound wasn't much of an issue last night. While it wasn't great where I was, I was standing right in front of that bass rig and a marshall half stack so I wouldn't expect it to be particularly well balanced :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back