Foggy Notions presents DEERHOOF, Whelan's, July 10 (1 Viewer)

just in relation to what wheels was saying..

I think nearly every gig I've been to in whelans/tripod/crawdaddy for the last year has had the headline act start at 9 or not long after with a 10-30 curfew. thought it was fairly established that was the case? I think it's more usual now for a gig to be advertised as a late gig if it has a later start. I know it's shitty but just assume that everything kicks off at 9 now.

it ain't the best that the shows are on so early, but to be fair it was well advertised that doors were at 7.30, and i'm pretty sure it kept to the timetable that foggy posted up above

What's the story with the curfew in Whelans??? I saw Le Galaxie a few weeks ago and they were on till about 11ish and A Place To Bury Strangers didn't come on till about half ten and played till just after half eleven. Both were mid week gigs as well.

just in relation to what wheels was saying..

I think nearly every gig I've been to in whelans/tripod/crawdaddy for the last year has had the headline act start at 9 or not long after with a 10-30 curfew. thought it was fairly established that was the case? I think it's more usual now for a gig to be advertised as a late gig if it has a later start. I know it's shitty but just assume that everything kicks off at 9 now.

I don't want to get too ratty about this situation as I heart Foggy, U:M etc; for consistently bringing over my favourite bands.

BUT, if there are indeed definite regular stage times and curfew's in Whelan's/Tripod/Crawdaddy surely they should at least stick to them? Say, House Rules - first band on no earlier than 8pm, no later than 9pm, Headline band on no earlier than 9.30 no later than 10.30. Any exceptions posted on the website, posters etc;. 10.30 - club on, seeya later. I don't like that scenario as it's against the nature of live music performers to box it off into such short rigid sets, but if them's the rules..

The problem is that I've been to gigs in Whelan's in the last year that have finished at 10.15, 10.30 or god forbid - even 10.45! This tells my brain that there is still some leniency for cut offs and that the situation at the weekend did indeed constitute a very early start and finish for both bands. Thus the people that turn up having missed things they'd assumed they'd see are right to be annoyed.

I'm old, and I remember when Whelan's let bands play til 11.30, 12 whenever. Bands played in music venues, clubbers went to clubs. Whatever. Things have changed, I accept that but give me information I can use. I've become used to the idea that the aforementioned venues don't really give a shit about live music audiences anymore, shame but fine. At the least let the promoters and fans know what to expect.

sorry guys that the stagetimes posted here weren't exact. stage-times are always going to be approximate. Deerhoof came on 15 mins early in this case because their set was longer than we had anticipated. they played for an hour and a half in the end. the promoters don't set the curfews, the venue management does. and Whelan's is no different to most venues nowadays in that it relies on late clubs on weekend nights because the majority of gig-goers do leave after the show. we also get complaints when shows run late so I guess you can't please everyone all of the time. all we can do is try and make the show work as best as we can in the three hours we have allocated to us.

Ya, my gripe is with the venue only. I still think 11pm is a perfectly reasonable time to start the club part of the night, let people into the front bar until then. Ho hum. I'll be earlier next time for sure!

Got to this at 9.30, having accepted that I would miss the support act. I did expect to see an hour of Deerhoof for my buck though, and I was pretty pissed off that I didn't. I appreciate that it's the venue who are putting the restrictions on, but this should really have been billed as an early gig. Or not have been €20. As for Whelan's, main venue gigs over before 10.30, they have another gig in a cramped room and are charging €5.50 for a shitty pint. Raking it in and taking the piss. My love for Whelan's as a music venue is fading rapidly.

P.S. Deerhoof were deadly of what I saw.

where were you until 9.30 wheels??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back