Focusrite Liquid Mix (1 Viewer)

Is CPU/DSP a problem for you?
I've heard some ok, some bad stuff about the focusrite stuff.
What's your motivation, basically?

Personally, I'd be more into buying plugs I can demo first like URS, Chandler etc.

Is CPU/DSP a problem for you?
I've heard some ok, some bad stuff about the focusrite stuff.
What's your motivation, basically?

Personally, I'd be more into buying plugs I can demo first like URS, Chandler etc.

yeah, looking to take the load off the cpu/dsp.
Looking for a portable solution, I work mainly on a laptop.
I'd possibly go for a UAD-Expander, but I don't have a free slot.

Currently I'm using FX-teleport to link to another PC and use its cpu, which is fine in the studio, but not when I need to work elsewhere.

I've demo'd both, i thought the Chandler TG12413 was excellent and it's on the shopping list.

Of course I could just buy a new laptop, just thinking of options at the moment....

New laptop gets you a lot more options.
I dunno, I'd like to try a liquid mix, but there's no demo option with those babies.
If you're buying the Chandler limiter, buy it direct.. €200-odd versus €370 offa thomann.

New laptop gets you a lot more options.
I dunno, I'd like to try a liquid mix, but there's no demo option with those babies.
If you're buying the Chandler limiter, buy it direct.. €200-odd versus €370 offa thomann.

I might try Studio Solutions, I've demo'd stuff from them before, they're pretty good about that sort of thing.

yeah, I got the price off them thanks.

UAD stuff seems great, but I like the idea of some of the specific emulations in the liquid mix, e.g. the API 2500 and Manely comps. I know they're not going to be 100% accurate, but if they sound good enough I'd be happy.
The problem is finding reviews were they've compared the emulations with the real thing.
I'll definitely organise a demo though.

I think I'd still love to get the UAD PCIx extreme bundle. The Liquid Mix is great, but it's still just EQ and Compression. Plus I love the idea of my plugs not touching the CPU. I get the fear and the sweats when that little processor meter goes above 70-80%. :eek:

Re Focusrite in general. I too heard some bad stuff and some good, but after researching tonnes of audio interfaces (Fireface, Traveler, etc..) I ended up going for the Saffire Pro 26 I/O and can honestly say I haven't looked back since. I chain the LM off the Saffire and I just love the user experience I'm getting. Sweet looking and sweet sounding.

G'luck

Colin

The problem is finding reviews were they've compared the emulations with the real thing.

Not being contrary here at all, but I wouldn't worry about how close it sounds to the real thing.. unless I had a rack of the real thing that I was looking to replace.. know what I mean?
The only criteria has to be that it sounds great and works great.

My only worry about the UAD stuff is how much you can run on one card.
I think I read somewhere that you can only run 1/2 EMT140s on each card.. I could be totally wrong, mind you.

Seems they'll do 4 140's at 44.1khz.
The bundle I'd go for is the expert pak, get the space echo, 140, La2a+1176 and whatever else.
That's a grand on thomann.
Hm.

Not being contrary here at all, but I wouldn't worry about how close it sounds to the real thing.. unless I had a rack of the real thing that I was looking to replace.. know what I mean?
The only criteria has to be that it sounds great and works great.

.......but each unit it's emulating has a particular sound and reacts differently to different material.
For example, in a mixing or mastering context, a track might benefit from the characteristics of the API compressor to improve/enhance it, or even as a creative sound shaping tool.
If the emulation isn't close, then you have to find something else that gives you the characteristics you were looking for.

For example, in a mixing or mastering context, a track might benefit from the characteristics of the API compressor to improve/enhance it, or even as a creative sound shaping tool.
If the emulation isn't close, then you have to find something else that gives you the characteristics you were looking for.

Sure, I understand.
You'd have to expect the minimum is that the emulation is going to sound in the ballpark of the hardware it's based on.
After that, it's gonna be a case of you learning what works with what sounds. Might be that the best tool for application X ends up being something you didn't expect at all.

Sure, it's great craic altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back