First gig (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter Dan
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2
Originally posted by hopper

yeah i heard he was a cunt allright, the guy who came in after him was a bit of a tit aswell, a bit more lenient on the long hair though

a load of us got together a band for the leaving cert mass in the pat's gym. the chaplain took great exception to us doing 'let it be' for some reason:confused:

Actually, graduation mass, that would have been my first real "gig". I was trying to impress a girl with my geetawr...aaagh :eek: :eek: !cheezy

I want a Bontempi...

recorded a couple of tracks with one once

such a nice, chunky sound

I want a big studio full of real and toy instruments...oh and about 6 weeks off work.

Originally posted by herv
i had a bontempi for a while as well, super machines. give us some examples of those lyrics!!!
Oh yes, I'll never forget my Bontempi... I'm surprised they were exported!

Regarding the lyrics I'm afraid they're lost forever but I have a *gem* for you. A few years later I was playing bass with my new band "Anathema" and we needed a "lead guitar" (well, someone who could play random notes fast enough to make it sound like a solo...) so Mr Daniele Moneta joined the band: he was 15, nearly 7 feet tall, huge, scary, quite ignorant and completely sick but we loved him.

Here's part of the original song he wrote for us, I had to learn it since I was singing at the time (it was long time ago, errors and omissions excepted).

- The Target -

4 Riffs

Every day
and all the night
all people want
make the good

But when will
come the beast
not all people
will make this

4 Riffs

The man is the target
For the damned
Who can make
you sweat
when he wants
or he prefers
to do the bad
in the world

Chorus

It's true that the bads arrive
with the chopper to cut your head
when the blood is scorring* down
you scream help for a long time

THE TARGET
THE TARGET
THE TARGET
THE TARGET

4 Riffs

* as far as I know this word doesn't even exit!!!! I guess he meant "pouring"

...................... OH JAYSUS !!!!!!!!! And the music was cool do we did perform it! :D :D :D

I'd love to meet this guy and see what he's up to... and I can't even blame him, I mean, he was a 15 yrs old chap trying to write songs in English..... a HERO in the end :cool:

My first gig was a battle of the bands in second year in college... '98 I suppose it was. I sang a song called "The Curse of the Parisian Plumber".
I've played three gigs since. One featured a rap called "Shit Muthafucka" and the other two had a song that featured a Jew's Harp, a Triola blow-keyboard and a comb solo. It was called "Mama".

I haven't played since.

The first gig I ever went to see was The Beat on the Street in Stephen's Green.

The No Name club in the Talbot Hotel in Wexford in 1987. We played 'Johnnie B Goode', 'Message in a Bottle', 'Seeds' (a very simple Springsteen song), 'Run to you' (yep, the Bryan Adams song) and 'Alright now'. I think

i played in the old fusion bar with muddled and we were supporting bambi and richie egans first band.... i can't remember what they were called. (incorporating members from what later became the satan clause - mo and the baseball fury - damien). damien introduced the first song saying"this is our first song" and then i started with my drum intro, and dropped a stick half way through, so we had to stop and damien said "this is our first song" and away we went.

but members of pet lamb were there. that was deadly.

Originally posted by pad
i played in the old fusion bar with muddled and we were supporting bambi and richie egans first band.... i can't remember what they were called.

Blackbelt Jones

but members of pet lamb were there. that was deadly.

I was there...

1990 in my school supporting a covers band featuring the future bass player from the Mary Janes.
Oh yes.
Our singer left the day before so we got a friend to sing. We were bloody awful. Played Mr Klaw by TMBG, that song about wanting a Pepsi from the first Suicidal Tendencies LP and one original song called, sadly, The Iguana Jive.

First gig, I'm my cousins front garden to the neiborhood kids...
We were called "Orthodox" I played the Keybords and a bit of tin whistle for the atmospheric bit... Played Prince and Pet shop Boys songs... and one original song, fuck knows what it was like...

Mary Flora Bell never left the bedsit... (shame, great band)

Were Not Sheep... Lived and died in only three gigs... featuring Anthony MAckey on geetar, Thai Rock Superstar singin, Baz from HBM on Bass, Liam of Dazed fame drumming, and me singing and prancing about... we had nicknames that I cant remember... we played the DIT mountjoy sqr canteen, the belvadire hotel and some pub that has since been torn down... Madonna covers etc..
GGGREEEAT days... http://www.groov.ie/largemound/wns.html check out the pitchur, I cant belive I was that young, Anto when did you put that photo up?

Circa 1992, Tamborine player during one song for Anthony and Pauls old band Here Be Monsters in the Rock Garden... ahem

First Omelette gig... Whelans with Estel and Joan of Arse 1999... The Bearded Prick was playing with us then (actually only for that gig) It was the first time all 4 of us were in the same place at the same time playing the same songs and I was Petrafied... Only gig I've ever played sitting down (dodgy guitar)

Me first gig was in '94 in my old school at a battle of the bands cuntfest. I was performing on a Commodore Amiga with a friend (who's gone on to better things - at the time it was like "What?! It gets BETTER than this!?!") MCing and a couple of sundry dancers when the Prodigy were still (just) all the rage. The aul Amiga needless to say took fucking AGES to load songs so there were some unintentional comedy moments inbetween the WHUMP-TSCH WHUMP-TSCH WHUMP-TSCH ROCK DA HOUSE.

And I haven't progressed at all since...

First gig was singing debaser abysmally out of tune in a driveway in Firhouse in the early 90's.
First 'real' gig was in the Old Chinaman in 94 or 95 with a band called Holochrist (who stank), who, interestingly enough featured much féted designer about town Antonia Cambell Hughes.
She refuses to talk about it, apparently, but if she gets really famous, i'm goiong to put out a 'Best Of' for kicks.
We were super-shit.
Tons of fun though, and supporting Los Crudos and Ebola in the Attic is still one of my favorite gigs ever...

Originally posted by portrid
Me first gig was in '94 in my old school at a battle of the bands cuntfest. I was performing on a Commodore Amiga with a friend (who's gone on to better things - at the time it was like "What?! It gets BETTER than this!?!") MCing and a couple of sundry dancers when the Prodigy were still (just) all the rage. The aul Amiga needless to say took fucking AGES to load songs so there were some unintentional comedy moments inbetween the WHUMP-TSCH WHUMP-TSCH WHUMP-TSCH ROCK DA HOUSE.

And I haven't progressed at all since...

Were you using that 4 tracks software which let you play samples???? Can't recall the name.... soundtrack? Fastrack maybe?

Had a lot of fun with that, it was coooooool!

Originally posted by binky

First 'real' gig was in the Old Chinaman in 94 or 95 with a band called Holochrist (who stank), who, interestingly enough featured much féted designer about town Antonia Cambell Hughes.

talk to silo about that... :D

Originally posted by binky
Tons of fun though, and supporting Los Crudos and Ebola in the Attic is still one of my favorite gigs ever...

Now THAT was a fucking great gig.

I was so fuckin scared before my first gig playing with a band. I considered just quitting altogether I was so scared. I had a serious hangover which had my nerves in tatters. I'd slept the night before in the back of a car, Bon Scott style, absolutley slaughtered, and it was minus 5 degrees or something outside so I nearly got frost bite. How I ended up drunk, sleeping in a car, in the depths of winter?? Long, long story....

Originally posted by Dan
How I ended up drunk, sleeping in a car, in the depths of winter?? Long, long story....

based on your last couple of performances on the gargle, i'd say the explanation to this is an easy one...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back