Firelogs? Coal? Briquettes? Logs? Or wha'? (1 Viewer)

flashback

hmm, I'll have to find a decent way of keeping things dry in Kerry up a hill beside the sea.

lol

Mayo is basically the same sort of thing as Kerry, and we'd get sodden turf dried out. If you get something covered and off the ground, with air able to move through it, on average it's going to dry out.

For the turf once you get it in off the bog you'd just pile it up haphazardly into a long triangle, and then tile the nicer longer ones pointing inwards on the outside of the bank. Then you could kind of quarry the loose turf from within the bank, it was normally fairly dry even though the bank would be uncovered.

If it was really pissing down for weeks you'd have a backup stash in a shed though.

flashback

It's methane, which long term is awful for global warming. Maybe nobody is making noises about it being banned but it'll have to be banned at some point.

it comes in as methane alright, but it gets turned into CO2 fairly efficiently I'd imagine. Which obiously isn't ideal, but isn't methane any more. (Not arguing here by the way, I'm massively out of the loop with... well, basically everything to do with Ireland at this point.)

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
yeah, from a CO2 perspective, gas is the least damaging as a fossil fuel. but it's not a source of methane in the atmosphere if used specifically as a fuel.

Lili Marlene

Trying not to have a bad day
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
from what i can see, there was talk of them extending the smoky coal ban (which applies to urban areas) nationwide.
but what happened was at least one of the three main coal distributors (one of which is actually based in ireland) went 'nuh-huh, you can't do that, we'll sue if you ban smoky coal and don't address smoky peat or wood, because unseasoned wood is smoky, etc.'

so the government as a way of kicking the can down the road decided 'well, maybe we'll actually do that so', and floated the idea knowing it'd die an *instant* death, but i have heard rumblings again occasionally about it. because there are valid concerns about burning damp or unseasoned wood (and the only good thing about turf in any way is the smell), the EPA would like to see its use stopped. particulate matter is quite high from its use.

people who burn seasoned hardwood (e.g. me), would be a bit annoyed about this. as far as i'm concerned, done right, it's an environmentally friendly way of doing it. as mentioned, i'm seasoning a load of cherry at the moment which came from about 20m from where i'm sitting, and burning it means i'm burning less gas. the wood would have ended up as CO2 within a few years regardless.
They're banning wet wood in the UK come January. It's a completely unenforceable ban since people can cut down their own trees, but banning the sale of of it in household size amounts will certainly make a dent, and it's clearly the way things will be going here soon enough.

Mayo is basically the same sort of thing as Kerry, and we'd get sodden turf dried out. If you get something covered and off the ground, with air able to move through it, on average it's going to dry out.

For the turf once you get it in off the bog you'd just pile it up haphazardly into a long triangle, and then tile the nicer longer ones pointing inwards on the outside of the bank. Then you could kind of quarry the loose turf from within the bank, it was normally fairly dry even though the bank would be uncovered.

If it was really pissing down for weeks you'd have a backup stash in a shed though.
Ah, trying to avoid turf now, even if it smells lovely when burning, we've gotten a pile of different ecologs to try out and we're using them in combination with the damper local wood we bought and it looks like it'll be a winning combination for this winter anyway.

Last edited:

flashback

Ah, trying to avoid turf now, even if it smells lovely when burning, we've gotten a pile of different ecologs to try out and we're using them in combination with the damper local wood we bought and it looks like it'll be a winning combination for this winter anyway.

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting turf (although I sort of love the hand cut stuff), I was more saying that if we managed to get turf dried out in Mayo then you should have some hope of drying out wood.

therealjohnny

Supporter
I fucking hate turf and I'm glad it's being banned everywhere.

There, I said it.

So many wasted back breaking summer days on the bog, which got worse when I discovered the joys of drinking and hangovers.

I'll never get that time back but at least the midges and clegs can go about their business unmolested now.

hiadudiad?

Supporter
Solutions
My childhood was also stolen from me on the bog and my cruel father did not listen to my concerns about the environment. I might find the bog itself pleasant now though, if I ever visit it again.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
we once drove back from the midlands on the old galway road, and if we'd bothered to stop we'd have filled the boot with turf, there was so much of it spread along the road for about 20km.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads