Firelogs? Coal? Briquettes? Logs? Or wha'? (1 Viewer)

pissypants

You want an open fire for the winter, but what's your preferred medium?
I've been trying firelogs - those sort of compressed woodchip looking things. Handy enough, they throw out a lot of heat, but they're hard enough to light and keep going, and burn pretty fast. On the up side, they burn down to virtually nothing, so are an easy cleanup. What's your preference for a toasty winter hearth?

AAAAAH!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't have a fireplace at mine but my folks are big on briquettes, last year they bought a tonne of turf, it had been cut out from the bog but they had to keep going there for a few weeks to turn it as it dried out, they're both in their 60's, fuckin rubes. Then they had to get all that shit home.

we use those firelogs - they're good at getting a good hot fire going quickly. picked up five bags of norwegian birch at the weekend; not especially cheap at €7 for a 15kg bag.
i don't burn turf - apart from the environmental reasons, it's very ashy and it doesn't give out much heat.
we don't burn coal either - for environmental reasons, and also, the stove gets so hot you can barely sit in the same room.

The landlord gave us a load of logs so we're using those. I like a bit of coal myself, heats the place up grand. Its very mild this winter though, isnt it. The central heating is on here all the time and theres no need, the gas bill will be shocker.

Its lovely and mild alright.Long may it last.I cant afford my central heating.So c'mon global warming...keep it toasty!

last year they bought a tonne of turf, it had been cut out from the bog but they had to keep going there for a few weeks to turn it as it dried out, they're both in their 60's, fuckin rubes. Then they had to get all that shit home.

Thank christ the parents got too old for that shit. I always hated going to the bog

stove here too. Kicks ass, the wan was all about getting the oil in for the winter but then we checked the tank, still loads left since the last fill which was nearly a year ago. Helps that I like to sleep in a cold room but watch tv (sorry, look at tele) in a warm room.
oh, firestarters wood and then coal nugget things.

this is the one we have:
tara_solidfuel.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back