Firelogs? Coal? Briquettes? Logs? Or wha'? (1 Viewer)

pissypants

You want an open fire for the winter, but what's your preferred medium?
I've been trying firelogs - those sort of compressed woodchip looking things. Handy enough, they throw out a lot of heat, but they're hard enough to light and keep going, and burn pretty fast. On the up side, they burn down to virtually nothing, so are an easy cleanup. What's your preference for a toasty winter hearth?

AAAAAH!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fucking yuppies the lot of ya.

I'm putting the heating on.Fuck this shit.

Edit..no fuck that too.I'm going for a run.

We are mid terrace so if you light a fire it's like sitting in a Native American sweat lodge. Also the young fella is a bit of a hands on type of tike so an open fire in the sitting room would quickly turn to us sitting in the freezing cold waiting room in Temple Street.

Tip for the summer here though- Throw one of those firelogs on the BBQ when you are done cooking and you'll be able to huddle around it for hours. Fierce heat off those and a piece of piss to light.

In no way are stoves celtic tiger/ yuppie whatsoever.

You must be thinking of this kind of bullshit carry on:
bio-oh-ethanol-fireplace-puur-vuur.jpg

Stoves are pure rustic, functional & bloody cost effective.

images

Edit: 2 stoves or 2 of those hotel lobby fancy yokes that have no function other then some twisted aesthetic devoid of any character whatsoever?

BUMP

My new gaff has central heating but it's fairly rubbish so we've mostly been using the stove to keep the place warm. Right now I have a dehumidifier sitting in front of some wood which is a very silly situation but, well, a wood shed will be built or bought next year so it'll have to do.

I've been reading up a bit on the current miracle wood briquettes being sold and wondering if youz have any tips? What have you learnt over the past decade? I'm probably gonna try them all anyway but advice would be good.

also, this bit of news - https://www.homecare.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1636915/scientists-link-dementia-fires-home

oh and to save @pete posting the same joke again here it is:

i turn the central heating thermostat up a notch

peasants

BUMP

My new gaff has central heating but it's fairly rubbish we've mostly been using the stove to keep the place warm. Right now I have a dehumidifier sitting in front of some wood which is a very silly situation but, well, a wood shed will be built or bought next year so it'll have to do.

I've been reading up a bit on the current miracle wood briquettes being sold and wondering if youz have any tips? What have you learnt over the past decade? I'm probably gonna try them all anyway but advice would be good.

oh and to save @pete posting the same joke again here it is:

I've found that sheltered wood that i've chopped takes a summer to get dry enough to be really efficient, and i've found that I burn close to a cord* in a small stove over winter. If you stick at the stove for an hour to get a good bed of orange wood/warm carbon structure it'll eat up wet logs east enough but require more air and give less heat. Ideal woodshed would be at least twice the size of one years burning so you can be refilling for the next year as you use the current year. I've never used the commercial stuff but if you get dried wood to get the stove up and running you can go 50/50 with wet stuff once its up to temperature..

*a cord is a rediculous unit of measurement for piles of wood.

I've never used the commercial stuff but if you get dried wood to get the stove up and running you can go 50/50 with wet stuff once its up to temperature..

Yeah, we spend a couple of quid a week on dry stuff and get the fire going with it. It's not ideal but it's all a learning curve and it works fine. I'd say we bought a cord or so worth of wood to get us through the winter, and it looks like it will, but we didn't reckon well enough on how best to keep it dry (and it wasn't KILN DRIED or whatever in the first place). I'm gonna try some of the wood briquettes and stuff to see how they last/work while I still have the money and try and find what works best economically and environmentally.

I've found that sheltered wood that i've chopped takes a summer to get dry enough
+1

I bought a load of wood from a local forest crowd last year, and it's just not as dry as the imported kiln dried stuff I got before. In a way though it's kinda better - with the real dry stuff I was able whittle a pile of shavings off a log and use that that start the fire instead of a firelighter, used to be real proud of myself if I got it going with one match ... but it took fucking ages, so yeah this wetter wood is forcing me not to waste my time proving my macho-ness to myself every weekend night

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back