fighting in the streets (1 Viewer)

steve albino

Website
Visit site
taken from Jane's Defence News:

From space, it is easy to see why the US military is thinking a lot these days about urban warfare. An image of the Earth at night, created by NASA with pictures from the Defense Meteorology Satellite Program, shows large portions of the landmass illuminated by the lights of an increasingly developed and urbanised world.

The UN estimates that half of the world's people will live in urban areas by 2007 and nearly two-thirds by 2030. That means an increasing number of conflicts will occur in cities. Leading US defence advisers have now declared cities "the most likely battlefield of the 21st century".

Despite these projections, the US armed forces still largely prepare for battle like a military expecting to avoid urban operations. Its military doctrine, training and equipment remain focused primarily on fast-moving armoured warfare. Institutional aversion to urban warfare, a reflection of leaders' desires to limit casualties and to minimise political complications, goes back as far as 500BC when Sun Tzu, a Chinese general, warned against walled cities in his famous treatise The Art of War.

A growing number of military officers and analysts say the US DoD can no longer afford to ignore urban operations. US forces have not conducted a large-scale urban operation since the 1968 Battle of Hue City in Vietnam. However, during the post-Cold War period, city conflicts have been on the rise. They have offered repeated reminders of the difficulties encountered in urban terrain, like the 1993 ambush of army rangers in Mogadishu, Somalia, that left 18 personnel dead; and peacekeeping operations in the Balkans. The experiences of the UK in Northern Ireland, Russia in Chechnya and Israel offer further examples of modern-day urban conflicts.

A decade ago the US armed forces began to consider how to update their treatment of military operations in urban terrain (MOUT). Before that, training focused on tactics and doctrine that had progressed little since the Second World War, experts say. MOUT facilities built in the USA were modelled on European villages and towns, now no longer a realistic representation of the threat. During the past five years, especially in the past six months, the study of MOUT has begun to show results.

The idea that a US invasion of Iraq could lead to battle in the streets of Baghdad has heightened interest in the military's urban combat capabilities. The DoD is preparing for such a scenario: units of the army's 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) and 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), among its premier urban warfare units, recently conducted urban-terrain exercises at the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk, Louisiana.

No one says the US forces cannot fight in cities. Many officials praise the improvements in tactics made by the army and the USMC, both of which promote their capabilities for night operations in urban terrain. Success, however, is a complicated measurement. Anybody can fight in a city, but, as Duane Schattle from the Institute for Defense Analyses says, can they win at an acceptable cost?

you know whats going to happen though...they are just going to bomb the fuck out of the cities first and once there is nothing left
then they will send in their Urban Warriors...

my personal theory is that the brits and the yanks have the ultamite training ground to perfect their weapons of minor destruction...it's called the Iraq No Fly Zone.

think of the amount of testing, tweaking and tunning of their military hardware has gone through on since they have been "patrolling" the no fly zone...i mean, no one knows what the fuck is going on there so they might as well have used chemical/biological/nuclear weapons themselves on the iraqi people. The americans have set the precedent after all...who is to say they won't do it again.

i heard a story of an iraqi farmer who had lost his entire herd of sheep because allied fighters would blow the fuck out of them as they were being used as target practice...

Originally posted by steve albino
repeated reminders of the difficulties encountered in urban terrain, like the 1993 ambush of army rangers in Mogadishu, Somalia, that left 18 personnel dead

18 US personnel dead. 1000 Somalians dead. I'd say from a military point of view that that incident was a roaring success for the US

Re: Re: fighting in the streets

Originally posted by egg_
18 US personnel dead. 1000 Somalians dead. I'd say from a military point of view that that incident was a roaring success for the US

it was a p.r. disaster: front of time magazine showing a dead u.s. marine being dragged through the streets of mogadishu. of course, there's been a convenient bit of hollywood stalinism since then in the form of black hawk down reinventing the whole thing. we have always been at war with eurasia...

What exactly went on with that again. The Black Hawk Down premise is that the marines were protecting aid supplies. Is that correct? I'm sure there was some sort of hidden agenda the the film didn't explore. Could someone please enlighten me?

Originally posted by uncle_meat
What exactly went on with that again. The Black Hawk Down premise is that the marines were protecting aid supplies. Is that correct? I'm sure there was some sort of hidden agenda the the film didn't explore. Could someone please enlighten me?

Do a web searchn on it. Theres plenty of stuff out there about the inacuracies in the film

It's a bit weird that we're all waiting for 'The Gulf War' MkII to happen, when effectively it hasn't really ended...
It's amazing that none of this affects the current U.N resolution relating to the Weapons Inspectors.

· 21/11/2002 16:19:50

Allies launch two attacks on Iraqi radar

US warplanes bombed air defence radars in southern Iraq twice today in an escalating conflict over Anglo-American air patrols of no fly zones in the north and the south.

The first attack targeted a radar site near Ash Shuaybah about 245 miles south-east of Baghdad at 9.20am Irish time.

About two hours later, US planes bombed a radar near the city of Tallil about 170 miles south-east of Baghdad.

In both cases, the attacks were launched because Iraq had moved the radars south of the 33rd parallel, in the no fly zone that the US and Britain established to support a UN Security Council resolution following the 1991 Gulf War. A northern zone is enforced north of the 36th parallel.

Iraq claims the zones are illegal, and it frequently fires on the patrolling pilots.

US warplanes struck air defence installations in southern Iraq twice earlier this week – on Monday and Wednesday.

Somalis in Black Hawk Down speak only to condemn themselves. They display no emotions other than greed and the lust for blood. Their appearances are accompanied by sinister Arab techno, while the US forces are trailed by violins, oboes and vocals inspired by Enya

nice.

Originally posted by help
sinister Arab techno

hey, anyone know where i can get me some o' this sinister arab techno? sounds pretty rockin. :)

oh: apparently one of the biggest problems faced by muslim extremists in the middle east (referred to here as "fundamentalists") in imposing their ideology on the area is the popularity of 'rai' music, which is a sort of mix of arabic chanting and rawk musak.

nice to know the rock is doing its bit in the war on terrorism, like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back