FIFA 10 (1 Viewer)

Hmm - I dunno about this. This is a very long post, but hey, PES is important! The main reason I'm typing this is, to get my own thoughts in order. I don't really expect anyone to read it all.

It's certainly rather different visually. It looks very arcadey, although I think the default camera angle in the demo enforces this impression as you're a bit close to the action. The character models are very good in my opinion - not photo realistic, but they look really nice and move very smoothly. The physics look brilliant. I watched a super slow-mo replay of Viera evading a couple of tackles, only just managing to stay on his feet and it looked superb. The grass looks a bit poor, but hopefully there will be better looking pitches in the full game. And unbelievably - there is still some slowdown. Not a matter of the framerate - but the game will usually pause once or twice, when (I think) the game is lining up a replay of a good move/shot. I've had a couple of good efforts that went just wide and the game paused for a nano-second just before the ball went out of play. This pisses me off.

I like the sound effects. The music is probably the worst music ever to be produced since the dawn of time, but all the grunts the players make when they're in a tussle is good. I like the yells they make when occasionally clearing the ball or getting pushed over. I like the way you can hear the player "tapping" the ball as hes running with it - takes me back to ISS on the PS1. Some subtle, simple stuff, but good stuff.

Gameplay - I don't think gameplay has ever been a prob in a PES game. This one takes some getting used to, as quite a few things have been changed/tweaked. The feint doesn't seem to create as much space as it did before. The players feel a bit more top-heavy to me. It's too early to judge the keepers, but they've made some very realistic saves in the games I've played. They don't seem very keen to get back on their line if you make em rush out though - although that might have just been the goalie I was using at the time. It'll take a lot of play to really judge if this new AI system does what it's supposed to and I don't think 4 min games will be sufficent for this purpose. Shooting feels a bit flat. But ultimately the game (to me anyway) feels VERY different. Nobody wants the game to be exactly the same as it was before, but it does seem to have gone very arcadey indeed. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Certainly the tight, occasionally slow games of the Fifa demo seem more like real footy to me.

My first reaction when I played it was "Jesus Christ - what have they done to my game??!?!" but I've had that reaction before when playing a new PES. As the first proper next-gen PES, it's not what I was hoping for. When you compare the presentation to the likes of DiRT, Woods etc. it looks like a piece of absolute fucking shite. The music is just....badness. I took keyboard lessons for a month as a kid and I occasionally dabble with tunes on my PC - I know I could make better music than this tosh.

So...

Front end - Shite.
Visuals - Pretty good, but very "Sega looking".
Sounds - Music, worse than cancer. In-game sfx are good though.
Gameplay - Too early to tell.

In the past for me PES was always about gameplay, but that's not enough anymore. If a game plays like it could be done on the original Xbox/PS2 then we're not getting our moneys worth. I'll be keeping a close eye on the reviews for this one. Time to try that Fifa demo again.

Aye, it's not bad. Some player likenesses are fucking fantastic, but it still just plays a half decent footy game.
Yeah I never feel fully in control of it, but it's enjoyable. The way you thump in the goals is very satisfying. FIFA is still miles ahead, but PES2010 is leagues ahead of PES09, which I think I turned of in disgust after half a game.

Is that an old Johnny post there Lefty?

Yeah I never feel fully in control of it, but it's enjoyable. The way you thump in the goals is very satisfying. FIFA is still miles ahead, but PES2010 is leagues ahead of PES09, which I think I turned of in disgust after half a game.

Is that an old Johnny post there Lefty?

Aye, I think I wrote that PES review thingy a couple of years ago. Lefty keeps all my old stuff, y'see. Sadly I would include bank statements and toiletries in that category.

At least he's stopped scrawling suggestive cartoons on my bathroom mirror!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back