Fibber Magee's Wants your band - PAYING GIGS (2 Viewers)

€3 a drink EVERY DRINK. It's up to the venue to promote itself and it's doing that but the only reason the venue will allow original bands is if they supplement the venues crowd with loyal fans. Such is the evil capitalist world we live in!
.|..|

ive always tried to give bands a few bob, even if its only a few pints worth or a taxi home. Ive played enough gigs myself and gotten absolutely nothing.

Fair enough at least they arent losing money.Thats my point.

If 3 bands play there on Wednesday and draw even one hundred people between them.Thats 100 people more than usual at the bar drinking than your usual Wednesday....and for what a chance to play on a Saturday judging by how many people you draw.
Who is winning in this situation??
Not the band thats for sure.
Sounds like a drawn out battle of the bands to be honest.

you should put on a series of gigs where the band helps bring in the harvest at the end of their set, a set which will contain the same set of motivational work songs about the job of brotherhood as every other band on the bill... also there will be no stage, because under communism all comerades are equal...

you should put on a series of gigs where the band helps bring in the harvest at the end of their set, a set which will contain the same set of motivational work songs about the job of brotherhood as every other band on the bill... also there will be no stage, because under communism all comerades are equal...

and no instruments either! because instruments are vassals of the bourgeois reactionaries!

onward, comrades!

€3 a drink EVERY DRINK. It's up to the venue to promote itself and it's doing that but the only reason the venue will allow original bands is if they supplement the venues crowd with loyal fans. Such is the evil capitalist world we live in!
.|..|

As an evil capitalist myself, it still sounds off to me....

I made a huge mistake in going into Fibbers there like 2 weeks back. Huge. The rationale was: it's 1.30am, we're drunk and everywhere else is either closed or asking for more than €2 in. Huge mistake. The music was 50% awful, which to be fair is not so bad a percentage. Thankfully there was nobody there, which allowed us to sit in peace and drink warm JD & coke as we breathed the smell of warm piss. Huge mistake.

Think I'd rather eat up my own vomit than play there. Not someone else's though, because.. too far.

this intrigues me. please elaborate.

well, my memory is kind of shot...but as part of the deal with the gig you, the band, had to 'buy' like say 20 tickets, at a fiver each... so they got (and I'm not sure of the numbers here) 100 bills from each of the four bands that were on the bill... something like that...

The bands were encouraged to buy as many tickets as they could and then re-sell them at a mark up, to their mates or whatever, and that is where they would make their profit... or if they sold no tickets had just forked out 100 bills for a gig!

Anyone who paid in at the door, y'know like normal people normally would, well all that money went to the promoter too. The promotor was one-tme singer in an 'almost famous' Dublin band who got played on MTV once.. who claimed as part of the deal he had all sorts of "industry" types mooching about the place...

Like I said this is all very sketchy in my memory so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong... but was a pretty horrorific way to rip off kids...

well, my memory is kind of shot...but as part of the deal with the gig you, the band, had to 'buy' like say 20 tickets, at a fiver each... so they got (and I'm not sure of the numbers here) 100 bills from each of the four bands that were on the bill... something like that...

The bands were encouraged to buy as many tickets as they could and then re-sell them at a mark up, to their mates or whatever, and that is where they would make their profit... or if they sold no tickets had just forked out 100 bills for a gig!

Anyone who paid in at the door, y'know like normal people normally would, well all that money went to the promoter too. The promotor was one-tme singer in an 'almost famous' Dublin band who got played on MTV once.. who claimed as part of the deal he had all sorts of "industry" types mooching about the place...

Like I said this is all very sketchy in my memory so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong... but was a pretty horrorific way to rip off kids...
ahhh yes, the ticket pre-sale scam...we were asked to play one or two of those way back. fuck that noise.

now those were gigs.

haha deftones covers and our very own Rap metal track "Fear and Betrayal".
I usued to like playing there.
Never payed that dude,told him we lost the tickets and we kept the money ourselves but he didnt care cause hordes of underage kids would come down and pay on the door because it was easy to get in.

Fair enough at least they arent losing money.Thats my point.

If 3 bands play there on Wednesday and draw even one hundred people between them.Thats 100 people more than usual at the bar drinking than your usual Wednesday....and for what a chance to play on a Saturday judging by how many people you draw.
Who is winning in this situation??
Not the band thats for sure.
Sounds like a drawn out battle of the bands to be honest.

The reasoning is that the €3 a drink milarkey doesn't really make much money with 100 people extra. The venue wins by making it viable and getting people in. The band wins in so far as it's easier to get people out on a Wednesday and if the bands are properly matched and the students respond well to the advertising then it's a good chance to win over fans. The alternative would be no drink promo and bands getting paid on Wednesday but then whats the incentive for them to market themselves? Any band known as a draw obviously by passes this and gets booked straight in on Saturday where they are fairly compensated.

It's not worth my while booking a band untested and unknown personally and if they want a chance to prove themselves worthy of regular paid bookings this is it and if they don't then fine, whatever floats yer boat.

I reckon if a band brought 100 people into Fibbers on a Wednesday (in the extremely unlikely event...) then a few bob could certainly be arranged.

I reckon if a band brought 100 people into Fibbers on a Wednesday (in the extremely unlikely event...) then a few bob could certainly be arranged.

heheheheh

the sound of goalposts being moved

the whole deal still stinks, though

i hope any bands that aren't completely naive will have the cop on not to get involved

I hate "marketing myself" - I've been in a band for nearly 20 years, my friends already know about my band and if I want to hold onto them I better avoid ramming it down their throats. Anyway, that's what the promoter should be doing isn't it? The clue is in the first 7 letters of his job description

Having said that I don't think this Fibber's thing sounds like that bad a deal, if the drinks promotion actually attracts an audience (which it just might, knowing how students are). It'd be much better if the band got a few quid for expenses etc though, even something nominal like 50 quid, but either way I'd rather be paid nothing and have a large drunken audience than be paid a little more to play to an empty house

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back