Ferry/Train to London (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Is it necessary to book this in advance? It's not like plane right where the price changes? Is it safe enough to leave it until a week or two before departure?

The sail-rail price doesn't seem to change. They can sell out though, the Swift doesn't have a huge capacity.

I've been considering using it to go see prince if he announces a gig more than 0 zero days in advance.

Yeah I'd book early just to get a place - even if the boat isn't full the train might be; I've no idea if they block-hold seats for ferry passengers so you could be standing the four hours or so to London (if you don't have to change at Crewe, that is).

Yeah ... it's not until April though so we should still be okay booking in March ... I think?

It takes ages and it's almost the same price as flying most of the time. If you're booking a month in advance just pay the extra few quid and fly it won't be that much in the difference.

It's a long trip and everything is more expensive, what you might save on flights you'll probably end up spending on a few cups of ridiculously expensive train station coffee and a sandwich. You'll say "I'll pack a lunch it'll be grand" but after hour number 6 you'll start buying coffee and sandwichs just to have something to do.

I don't think you need to book particularly far in advance unless it's for christmas. Like a week or so would be fine. I guess it depends when you're travelling. Weekends are busier obviously. When I'm coming home this way I usually travel on a Thursday or Friday morning and back on a Sunday and I've always booked the week before I travel. Sail and rail price doesn't change it's about £60 return. This is a grand way to travel in the summer if you have the time. It's horrendous in the winter though. Never again.

It takes ages and it's almost the same price as flying most of the time. If you're booking a month in advance just pay the extra few quid and fly it won't be that much in the difference.

It's a long trip and everything is more expensive, what you might save on flights you'll probably end up spending on a few cups of ridiculously expensive train station coffee and a sandwich. You'll say "I'll pack a lunch it'll be grand" but after hour number 6 you'll start buying coffee and sandwichs just to have something to do.
i like travelling this way when the weather's good. bring a big fat book and i'm happy as larry.

Yeah I hear ya but the thing is that it's for a gig. This way we can bring guitars/pedals and all that malarkey without paying for extra seats on the plane and all the other associated annoyances that come with it ....

You're usually fine to book late, the price doesn't change. I've done it a couple of days in advance and not had a problem. Great way to travel, unless it's immediately after xmas.

The hard part is getting from the train station to where ever your actual end destination is, so look into that. Especially with you carrying guitars and everything.

If you have time you can run out to the Lidl in Holyhead and buy a few cans like I did. £2.78 for 4 cans, winner!

It's a Saturday so should be okay. Anthony - yeah I know. Just don't really want to pay for it right now ...

It's a Saturday so should be okay. Anthony - yeah I know. Just don't really want to pay for it right now ...
Check the football, I got the train going north after the Everton vs West Ham match last christmas (2012) 5,000 scousers and 5,000 irish lads at the station. I shit you not.

Seriously, i'm not kidding this can be a fucking nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back