Feminist Walking Tour - March 8th (1 Viewer)

JUST MY VEIWS HERE!!!!!!! dont want anyone to have a hernia.

i say nowadays because i feel we are given equal rights. i am proud that some birds back in the day said 'hey we should vote, have career chances etc etc' but now, it seems to me like feminism is a poor excuse to feel like a victim. if anyone wants to feel equal to their peers, all they need to do is truely FEEL equal and ACT equal,.. calling attention on yourself for the oppression of 'our kind'(which makes no sense to me in the first place, men women, its all the same, i never think about the difference) seems like an acceptance of a non existant problem. people of both genders get put down, trod on, and excluded for one thing or another all their lives. thats not specific to women. and you know what? you learn to deal with it. my way of dealing with 'sexism' is the same as my way of dealing with the rest of bullshit humanity's way of taking insecurities out on others, and i dont need a support group for all those types of oppression. do you feel like you need to march to highlight getting slagged on the bus for looking like a weirdo? just an example.
alot of women just seem to be so up in arms all the time about this shit. i mean, so what,.. your born, the world shits on you, you die, in between that you do what you can to make it fun. my way of doing that is by assuming myself as automatically entitled to think of my self as the same peice of skin and bones as anyone else regardless of gender, so sexism is no issue other than when the same 'sexist' veiws are passed on to me as other women, i either laugh or personally take issue.
i do think its sad that alot of women lack the confidance to partake in things like bands etc to the same degree as men, but thats about needing acceptance, not seperation, self segregation and victim name tags.
Respec!!!!!

Attachments

• 220px-AliG-Harv-cutdown.jpg
    220px-AliG-Harv-cutdown.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 21
That is the greatest reply ever on Eirecore and only a female could have pulled it off.

Deffo.... Gotta second that...... Cuts straight through the crap......

You've gotta laugh though... some jokes are a bit over the top but jokes are supposed to be for fucks sake..

I was in a gaff once & a girl who was a well known feminist at the time walked in & I asked her how she was doin (not like hey yu doin) but genuinely how she was doing. Her answer was that she had felt al lot better before she realised that someone with a penis was in the house. If I got offended then I'd be a worse fekkin eejit wouldn't I.

Feminism's great..... So is havin a sense of humour......

Right..... nuff said..... Now where's that woman with me breakfast???

I was in a gaff once & a girl who was a well known feminist at the time walked in & I asked her how she was doin (not like hey yu doin) but genuinely how she was doing. Her answer was that she had felt al lot better before she realised that someone with a penis was in the house. If I got offended then I'd be a worse fekkin eejit wouldn't I.

Conclusion: Feminists are craayzy!

That tour was so deadly. It was really well organised, deservedly well attended and really informative. It's amazing how little I knew about women's history in Ireland. Thanks a million to RAG and Choice Ireland for doing such an awesome job.

you should have said you felt much better knowing there was someone with a gee in the house.

men dont get raped?

Men do, and it's equally harrowing and horrendous, but it happens very rarely. Boys are almost as vulnerable as girls to being abused, but for men, the chances of you being raped once you enter adulthood virtually disappear, for women, it gets worse. Have a read of the SAVI (Sexual Violence in Ireland) report. It's quite startling. Men perpetrate violence against women and children. Women also do, but rarely. Predominantly it is men abusing women.

In Ireland, one woman in 11 has experienced severe physical abuse in a relationship, and one in 12 have experienced severe sexual abuse, whereas one man in 25 has experienced severe physical abuse, and one in 90 has experienced sexual abuse. In Ireland, rape and domestic violence, crimes perpetrated by men on women, aren't even counted in the national crime victimisation surveys, whereas crimes more commonly perpetrated on men are. Rape in marriage was only criminalised in 1990.

In the states, 1 woman in 14 is raped by her husband, 3-4000 women die at the hands of their male spouses, more women are disabled or killed by domestic violence than cancer!

I think it's a bit mad saying because you feel that shit is equal for you that there's no need for feminism. That's kind of like saying there's no need for the dole because you have a job. Shit is not equal. It really isn't.

I think it's a matter of how much 'the bigger picture' affects your daily life.
Rapes and murders happen, men abuse women, nobody denies that.
There is a universal repulsion to all of that, but I agree that many women need to be encouraged to be upfront about their experiences and events like International Woman's Day can do a lot of good towards achieving that.
If the injustices of female inequality haunt your tea breaks or the statistics of Irish domestic violence pop in to your head when you daydream out the window then of course you'll feel compelled to do something about it.
But for a lot of people it just doesn't.

For most of the women I know, both friends and family, sexism, spousal abuse and inequality does not affect their lives in a meaningful way.
(Yes, I have talked to them about it)
It exists to a certain extent, but as Karen said, not any more than other bullshit that they have to deal with.
At least it doesn't affect them enough to join a history walk, wear a badge, go to meetings or read the literature.

Fellas get the shit kicked out of them, punched in the face, knifed - on the street, at the pub, on the bus.
Is it because they're men?
Because they're considered 'fair game' for a kicking as opposed to if they were a woman who they wouldn't randomly attack?
I'm not sure there's a fella that hasn't been physically attacked at random or at least for a very poor reason.
Is it more or less relevant than domestic violence or sexual violence perpetrated on women?

Feminism, to many people, is an anarchronism.
The only glass ceiling in Ireland appears to be enforced by peoples' own perceptions and a handful of pricks rather than an overriding social acceptance of sexism, especially when compared to countries in the Middle East, India and Pakistan amongst many others.
I've never seen sexism anywhere else in the world like what I saw in India.
There is just no comparison between here and there.

Shit is not equal. It never will be. The day we have a global, homogenous society of utopian equal rights and shit is just dandy will never come and if it does it'll be dry as shite and probably some kind of police state!
You can all try to make the world a better place through promoting social change if you have the time and interest.
For most of those who find that feminism isn't relevant does not mean that they do not care nor does it mean they believe that everything, without question, is equal.
For many people just living your own life as best as you can with a positive outlook and a determination to not let any fucker get you down is enough to make them happy and a badge with a fist and a femi-symbol just isn't necessary.
And for those people, things like feminism just isn't relevant because it's never questioned whether women are equal or that someone's sex can infer anything about their personality.

It all boils down to if you're into analysing the shit out of everything, having a neat label for different types of theories and behaviours and discussing it with like minded people versus just living your life the way you want to and fuck the begrudgers.

Jaysus........ If Emily Pankhurst had read that she could've saved herself from a serious kicking.

Fuck I'm on thin ice now.

Men do, and it's equally harrowing and horrendous, but it happens very rarely. Boys are almost as vulnerable as girls to being abused, but for men, the chances of you being raped once you enter adulthood virtually disappear, for women, it gets worse. Have a read of the SAVI (Sexual Violence in Ireland) report. It's quite startling. Men perpetrate violence against women and children. Women also do, but rarely. Predominantly it is men abusing women.

In Ireland, one woman in 11 has experienced severe physical abuse in a relationship, and one in 12 have experienced severe sexual abuse, whereas one man in 25 has experienced severe physical abuse, and one in 90 has experienced sexual abuse. In Ireland, rape and domestic violence, crimes perpetrated by men on women, aren't even counted in the national crime victimisation surveys, whereas crimes more commonly perpetrated on men are. Rape in marriage was only criminalised in 1990.

In the states, 1 woman in 14 is raped by her husband, 3-4000 women die at the hands of their male spouses, more women are disabled or killed by domestic violence than cancer!

I think it's a bit mad saying because you feel that shit is equal for you that there's no need for feminism. That's kind of like saying there's no need for the dole because you have a job. Shit is not equal. It really isn't.

What kind of point is this meant to be? That in order to promote equality between the sexes, men should be attacked by women just as often as women are attacked by men? What the fuck kind of argument is that?
Or is it that it should be just as illegal to attack women as it is to attack men? OF COURSE IT SHOULD, THAT'S JUST COMMON SENSE.

Have a look at this, England and Wales Crime statistics from 2007:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6906554.stm

Let's look at the "Adults most at risk of violence" graph:

_44008888_adults_risk_gra416.gif

As we can see, men between the age of 16-24 are far more likely to be victims of violence than any other category on there. Furthermore, the statistic just below the graph, men are almost twice as likely to experience violence from a stranger than women:

"44 % of violent incidents against men were of this kind, compared with 23% of incidents against women."

Statistically speaking, it could then quite naturally be said that men should feel far less safe walking down the street that women. Does that mean it would be feminist for me to demand that from now onwards, strangers should attack women just as much as they attack men? Maybe I'll organise a walk around Stephen's Green in favour of this policy.
Or maybe not, because that would be completely fucking stupid.

Personally, I can easily think of at least 3 occasions in which I have been attacked on the street by a complete stranger for no reason. However, I'm not going to make a gender argument out of this, because I know that the people who attacked me are complete fucking scumbags who have probably never even heard of feminism, and were just looking for a fight.

What a completely pointless argument.

What kind of point is this meant to be? That in order to promote equality between the sexes, men should be attacked by women just as often as women are attacked by men? What the fuck kind of argument is that?

that's called "putting words in somebody else's mouth"

everything else you wrote after it is based on this deliberate misinterpretation

so, everything else you wrote was... pointless

way to miss the point

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back