Favourite albums of 2010 (2 Viewers)

don't know what you people hear in Groom, you just made me listen to them online, waste of time. at least Field Music are reasonable for the most part. needless to say i haven't heard of nearly everything everyone has mentioned because i live in a cave. however, these accosted me in a good way:

strands - strands
zola jesus - stridulum vol.2
the fall - your future, our clutter
the billy childish archive (is this allowed?)
sufjan stevens - the age of adz
and from the tiny go i've had of it, max richter - infra

but the two best of that lot are Sufjan and Strands. the Suf' just keeps opening up and up the more you listen to it, in some ways musically it's his most interesting, lyrically though, it doesn't seem quite up to the mark. i was listening to it today on headphones while shopping in the square in tallaght and it got me excited enough to want to go up to random people and talk too loudly, the way you do when you've headphones on, and say "he's not fucking around. no really, he's not fucking around". but i didn't. and for that i'm ashamed.
if the vatican had the wherewith all they'd a lashed out a "tony walsh and the holy priest show greatest hits" for the xmas market, but sure when have THEY ever had their eye on the balls, wha'?
there are two cd's i got this year that i've played more than any others that aren't from 2010 but i want to mention. fuck you if it's not in the rules, man, i don't follow no fuckin' rules!
one is African Pearls Vol. 3, One Day on Radio Mali, which is an INCREDIBLE collection of music from 1970's Mali. one disc is accoustic folk in style, while the other is more big band in studio, horn sections, flutes, it's all go! it's astonishing.

the other is quite honestly one of the best albums i've ever heard, it's from Guinea in the 70's, L'Epopee du Mandingue by Kouyate Sory Kandia, which is vol's one and two of the original lp's together minus one song for some reason. this man's voice alone could heal the sick, stop wars, open the eyes of the wealthy but ignorant, educate the minds of the deprived but willing. it could father children in the stones of the earth should they happen to hear it. it could raise the dead from where they have been waiting, and raise their voices in a song of response to his own. if Africa is the birthplace of humanity, it may well have been born again.
now couple that with the beautiful free kora sounds and then you've another thing altogether...

don't know what you people hear in Groom, you just made me listen to them online, waste of time. at least Field Music are reasonable for the most part. needless to say i haven't heard of nearly everything everyone has mentioned because i live in a cave. however, these accosted me in a good way:

strands - strands
zola jesus - stridulum vol.2
the fall - your future, our clutter
the billy childish archive (is this allowed?)
sufjan stevens - the age of adz
and from the tiny go i've had of it, max richter - infra

but the two best of that lot are Sufjan and Strands. the Suf' just keeps opening up and up the more you listen to it, in some ways musically it's his most interesting, lyrically though, it doesn't seem quite up to the mark. i was listening to it today on headphones while shopping in the square in tallaght and it got me excited enough to want to go up to random people and talk too loudly, the way you do when you've headphones on, and say "he's not fucking around. no really, he's not fucking around". but i didn't. and for that i'm ashamed.
if the vatican had the wherewith all they'd a lashed out a "tony walsh and the holy priest show greatest hits" for the xmas market, but sure when have THEY ever had their eye on the balls, wha'?
there are two cd's i got this year that i've played more than any others that aren't from 2010 but i want to mention. fuck you if it's not in the rules, man, i don't follow no fuckin' rules!
one is African Pearls Vol. 3, One Day on Radio Mali, which is an INCREDIBLE collection of music from 1970's Mali. one disc is accoustic folk in style, while the other is more big band in studio, horn sections, flutes, it's all go! it's astonishing.

the other is quite honestly one of the best albums i've ever heard, it's from Guinea in the 70's, L'Epopee du Mandingue by Kouyate Sory Kandia, which is vol's one and two of the original lp's together minus one song for some reason. this man's voice alone could heal the sick, stop wars, open the eyes of the wealthy but ignorant, educate the minds of the deprived but willing. it could father children in the stones of the earth should they happen to hear it. it could raise the dead from where they have been waiting, and raise their voices in a song of response to his own. if Africa is the birthplace of humanity, it may well have been born again.
now couple that with the beautiful free kora sounds and then you've another thing altogether...

You coming out of Thumped retirement?

welcome back, peter gabriel

I got some album by Kouyate Sory Kandia off Awesome Tapes From Africa, its fucking deadly. The voice is amazing alright.

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/shcu/tinkisso[/sc].

That one is great.

I got some album by Kouyate Sory Kandia off Awesome Tapes From Africa, its fucking deadly. The voice is amazing alright.

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/shcu/tinkisso[/sc].

That one is great.

thanks for that Shaney, that's not at all like the cd i have, which is very traditional and just vocals and koras. it's incredible though. got it in Claddagh Records in Dublin so i'd imagine they could get it again. i checked the wonderful Awesome Tapes but the link to that K.S.K. tape seems to be gone, will try soundcloud.

isn't that Brian from A.T.F.A. site just a little treasure? i wonder would he consider running for election in the spring?

thanks for that Shaney, that's not at all like the cd i have, which is very traditional and just vocals and koras. it's incredible though. got it in Claddagh Records in Dublin so i'd imagine they could get it again. i checked the wonderful Awesome Tapes but the link to that K.S.K. tape seems to be gone, will try soundcloud.

isn't that Brian from A.T.F.A. site just a little treasure? i wonder would he consider running for election in the spring?

isnt he though! Mah Kouyate is there too, that probably still works. dunno if she's any relation. Maybe kouyate is like kelly in africa. this is by far the best song on the album:

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/shcu/mah-kouyate-soundiata[/sc]

I can upload that Kania Sory one somewhere if you really want it

Hi y'all,

That time of year for lists again. A vaguely arbitrary exercise, although strangely satisfying. Especially when it's been another great year for pop music. Below is what has been soundtracking the UOH cabin for the past year.

Read. Discard. Listen. Enjoy.

I've also put together a Best of 2010 Podcast which I'll send details of in another mail.

Til 2011, stay warm.

The Underground of Happiness
uplifting pop music of every creed

www.myspace.com/theundergroundofhappiness

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000831467458

The Underground of Happiness - Dec 2010
Favourite Albums of 2010 (71)
Syd Matters - Brotherocean (Because Music)
Sone Institute – Curious memories (Front & Follow)
Dum Dum Girls - I will be (Sub Pop)
NLF3 - Beautiful is the way to the world beyond (Prohibited Records)
Joanna Newsom – Have one on me (Drag City)
She & Him - Volume Two (Double 6)
Christy & Emily - No rest (Klangbad)
Field Music – Field Music (Measure) (Memphis Industries)
The Ruby Suns - Fight softly (Memphis Industries)
Sarah Blasko - As day follows night (Dramatico)
Boxharp - The green (Hidden Shoal)
Boa Morte - The dial waltz (Kicking a Can Records)
Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands - You look colder (remix album) (Osaka)
Gotan Project - Tango 3.0 (XL)
Coco Rosie - Grey oceans (PIAS)
Oh No Ono - Eggs (Leaf)
Olafur Arnalds - ...and they have escaped the weight of darkness (Erased Tapes)
The National - High violet (4AD)
Elite Barbarian - It's only when you get to the end that it all makes sense (Front and Follow)
Junkboy - Koyo (Enraptured Records)
Children Under Hoof - A collar can become a noose (self-released) (mini-album)
The Chap - Well done Europe (Lo Recordings)
Bjork & Dirty Projectors - Mount Wittenberg Orca (self-release, donation d'load)
Here We Go Magic - Pigeons (Secretly Canadian)
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before today (4AD)
Markus Mehr - Lava (Hidden Shoal)
Secret Cities - Pink graffiti (Western Vinyl)
Rich Bennett - On holiday (Hidden Shoal)
Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Rivers (Leaf)
Being 747 - Amoeba to zebra (Wrath Records)
The Soundcarriers - Celeste (Melodic)
The Superimposers - Sunshine pops! (Wonderful Sound)
Toro y Moi - Causers of this (Carpark Records)
Jaill - That's how we burn (Sub Pop)
Shearwater - The golden archipelago (Matador)
Caitlin Rose - Own side now (Names)
Liam Singer - Dislocatia (Hidden Shoal)
Dean & Britta - 13 Most Beautiful: Songs for Andy Warhol's Screen Tests(Double Feature)
Various Artists - Deutsche Elektronische Musiche (Soul Jazz Records)
Future Islands - In evening air (Thrill Jockey)
Dollboy meets Sone Institute - The sum and the difference (Front & Follow)
Seeland - How to live (LoAF)
Darren Hayman & the Secondary Modern - Essex Arms (Fortuna Pop!)
Kurt Wagner & Cortney Tidwell - Kurt Wagner and Cortney Tidwell present KORT: Invariable heartache (City Slang)
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (4AD)
Frankie Rose and the Outs - Frankie Rose and the Outs (Memphis Industries)
Susuma Yokota - Kaleidoscope (Lo Recordings)
Peter Broderick - Music for Contemporary Dance (Erased Tapes)
Thread Pulls - New thoughts (Osaka Records)
Our Broken Garden - Golden sea (Bella Union)
Lali Puna - Our intentions (Morr Music)
Arch Garrison - King of the Down (Double 6)
Husky Rescue - Ship of light (Catskills Records)
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM (Because)
Get Well Soon - Vexations (City Slang)
Essie Jain - Until the light of morning (Light of Morning)
Caribou - Swim (City Slang)
Grinderman - Grinderman 2 (Mute)
Pantha du Prince - Black noise (4AD)
The Golden Filter - Voluspa (Brille)
Laetitia Sadier - The trip (Drag City)
School of Seven Bells - Disconnect from Desire (Full Time Hobby)
Tuung - ...and then we saw land (Full Time Hobby)
Igor Boxx - Breslau (Ninja Tune)
Lost Idol - Brave the elements (Cookshop)
The Walkmen - Lisbon (Bella Union)
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (Asthmatic Kitty)
Lawrence Arabia - Chant darling (Bella Union)
S Carey - All we grow (Jagjaguwar)
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (Suites II & III) (Bad Boy Records)
Warpaint - The fool (Rough Trade)
Non-album highlights
Darwin Deez - Radar detector (Lucky Number)
Neville Skelly - Child of the morning EP (Setanta)
Hunter-Gatherer - Fingerprint Series (free download)
Arctic Circle Explorer's Club (subscriber series) (LoAF)
Extra Life - Your body's callin' (R Kelly cover) from the Black Hoodie EP (LoAF)
These New Puritans - Hologram (single) (Domino)
The artwork on Grinderman 2 Special Edition (stunning)
Gigs:
Caitlin Rose, Cyprus Avenue, Cork
Field Music, Cyprus Avenue, Cork
Tuneyards, Whelan's, Dublin
Beach House, Whelan's, Dublin
Lawrence Arabia, Whelan's, Dublin
Boa Morte, Crane Lane Theatre, Cork
Thread Pulls, Triskel (Loading Bay), Cork
Dean & Britta, Barbican Theatre, London
Shearwater, Barbican Theatre, London
The Unthanks, The Pavilion, Cork
Adrian Crowley, The Courthouse, Cork
Grizzly Bear/Camera Obscura/Midlake, Marquee, Cork
Primavera: Grizzly Bear, Dum Dum Girls, Van Dyke Parks, Clare & the Reasons, Tortoise, Pavement, Pixies, Ben Frost, Titus Andronicus, Clare and the Reasons, Liquid Liquid
Heard they were great:
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
Future Islands
Richard Hawley
Brendan Benson
Films:
The Road
Ponyo
Books:
The North will rise again: Manchester Music City 1976-1996, an oral history by John Robb (Aurum)
Lowside of the road: A life of Tom Waits by Barney Hoskyns (Faber & Faber)
Thank you for the days by Mark Radcliffe (Simon & Schuster)

Favourite Albums of 2010 (71)
Syd Matters - Brotherocean (Because Music)
Sone Institute – Curious memories (Front & Follow)
Dum Dum Girls - I will be (Sub Pop)
NLF3 - Beautiful is the way to the world beyond (Prohibited Records)
Joanna Newsom – Have one on me (Drag City)
She & Him - Volume Two (Double 6)
Christy & Emily - No rest (Klangbad)
Field Music – Field Music (Measure) (Memphis Industries)
The Ruby Suns - Fight softly (Memphis Industries)
Sarah Blasko - As day follows night (Dramatico)
Boxharp - The green (Hidden Shoal)
Boa Morte - The dial waltz (Kicking a Can Records)
Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands - You look colder (remix album) (Osaka)
Gotan Project - Tango 3.0 (XL)
Coco Rosie - Grey oceans (PIAS)
Oh No Ono - Eggs (Leaf)
Olafur Arnalds - ...and they have escaped the weight of darkness (Erased Tapes)
The National - High violet (4AD)
Elite Barbarian - It's only when you get to the end that it all makes sense (Front and Follow)
Junkboy - Koyo (Enraptured Records)
Children Under Hoof - A collar can become a noose (self-released) (mini-album)
The Chap - Well done Europe (Lo Recordings)
Bjork & Dirty Projectors - Mount Wittenberg Orca (self-release, donation d'load)
Here We Go Magic - Pigeons (Secretly Canadian)
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before today (4AD)
Markus Mehr - Lava (Hidden Shoal)
Secret Cities - Pink graffiti (Western Vinyl)
Rich Bennett - On holiday (Hidden Shoal)
Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Rivers (Leaf)
Being 747 - Amoeba to zebra (Wrath Records)
The Soundcarriers - Celeste (Melodic)
The Superimposers - Sunshine pops! (Wonderful Sound)
Toro y Moi - Causers of this (Carpark Records)
Jaill - That's how we burn (Sub Pop)
Shearwater - The golden archipelago (Matador)
Caitlin Rose - Own side now (Names)
Liam Singer - Dislocatia (Hidden Shoal)
Dean & Britta - 13 Most Beautiful: Songs for Andy Warhol's Screen Tests(Double Feature)
Various Artists - Deutsche Elektronische Musiche (Soul Jazz Records)
Future Islands - In evening air (Thrill Jockey)
Dollboy meets Sone Institute - The sum and the difference (Front & Follow)
Seeland - How to live (LoAF)
Darren Hayman & the Secondary Modern - Essex Arms (Fortuna Pop!)
Kurt Wagner & Cortney Tidwell - Kurt Wagner and Cortney Tidwell present KORT: Invariable heartache (City Slang)
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (4AD)
Frankie Rose and the Outs - Frankie Rose and the Outs (Memphis Industries)
Susuma Yokota - Kaleidoscope (Lo Recordings)
Peter Broderick - Music for Contemporary Dance (Erased Tapes)
Thread Pulls - New thoughts (Osaka Records)
Our Broken Garden - Golden sea (Bella Union)
Lali Puna - Our intentions (Morr Music)
Arch Garrison - King of the Down (Double 6)
Husky Rescue - Ship of light (Catskills Records)
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM (Because)
Get Well Soon - Vexations (City Slang)
Essie Jain - Until the light of morning (Light of Morning)
Caribou - Swim (City Slang)
Grinderman - Grinderman 2 (Mute)
Pantha du Prince - Black noise (4AD)
The Golden Filter - Voluspa (Brille)
Laetitia Sadier - The trip (Drag City)
School of Seven Bells - Disconnect from Desire (Full Time Hobby)
Tuung - ...and then we saw land (Full Time Hobby)
Igor Boxx - Breslau (Ninja Tune)
Lost Idol - Brave the elements (Cookshop)
The Walkmen - Lisbon (Bella Union)
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (Asthmatic Kitty)
Lawrence Arabia - Chant darling (Bella Union)
S Carey - All we grow (Jagjaguwar)
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (Suites II & III) (Bad Boy Records)
Warpaint - The fool (Rough Trade)

Fucks sake.

Nah it was great. Except Holiday which was fucking horrible. I could listen to Taxi Cab all day.

I'll probably check out the two the Bearded Lady recommended and nothing Underground recommended.

Hey I Is John, I disagree.
Some reasonable tunes, but it sounded yock and the opening few songs were pathetic.

Hey Moods, I disagree with you as well. I think it's very similar to the first album but with some progress in the sound. In my opinion it'll stand to them in the long term to have two similar albums of quality songs (i'm thinking like the first 2 B-52's or Talking Heads albums) before they go off on a mad tangent where they only use balalaika's or synths or whatever for the next 10 years.

I don't think it sounded yock but we probably just disagree on what good production is on a fundamental level, as previous conversations have demonstrated.

As for the first two songs being pathetic, you didn't specify why you think they're pathetic so I guess i'll just dismiss that.

I liked Contra. Probably not the best song written in 2010 but it maybe the most fun to sing along to (imho) this year. Perhaps that's why Moods hated the album? He was stuck in a car with me during a trip to Ikea when all I did was sing along (note: I'm tone deaf) to this --- mystery solved.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey I is John, disagreed.
The first two songs are pathetic because:
a) I can only remember one of them
b) That one is the Horchata one. I find it aesthetically displeasing, like they souped up one particular aspect of the first album (the 'educated' lyrical reference points set to a childlike melody) at the expense of the bits I found endearing.

Hey I is John, disagreed.
The first two songs are pathetic because:
a) I can only remember one of them
b) That one is the Horchata one. I find it aesthetically displeasing, like they souped up one particular aspect of the first album (the 'educated' lyrical reference points set to a childlike melody) at the expense of the bits I found endearing.

grand so. A lot of people don't like that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back