Favourite album/song/gig of 2017? (1 Viewer)

Richard Dawson in Whelans was great alright, but the gig of the year for me has to be Black Sabbath way back in January.

I'd definitely give the bould Richard the Album of the 2017, I think I've listened to that more than anything else this year. Best song from it: a toss up between Ogre and Scientist (leaning more towards the latter today)

Film - I don't think I saw a single new film this year. Feck's sake.

Album:
I only bought 10 albums that came out in 2017 and they were all pretty damn good. So let's go for the most played one: Weezer, Pacific Daydream.

Gig:
Honestly, as above. Ani Difranco in Vicar St stands out.

Song:
Phoenix, Ti Amo. Crank this and the room explodes when the main song kicks in.

Album - Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
Gig - St. Vincent in the Olympia
Film - Bladerunner 2049
(I haven't seen the disaster artist yet, it sounds good)

Gigs I loved;

Iron Maiden
Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives
Cock Sparrer (and the whole Rebellion weekender in general)

Gigs that I'm kicking myself for missing;

Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper

Biggest downer in the music world- Death of Tom Petty

Richard Dawson in Whelans was great alright, but the gig of the year for me has to be Black Sabbath way back in January.

I'd definitely give the bould Richard the Album of the 2017, I think I've listened to that more than anything else this year. Best song from it: a toss up between Ogre and Scientist (leaning more towards the latter today)

Film - I don't think I saw a single new film this year. Feck's sake.
Yeah I toyed with giving gig of the year to Sabbath alright. That was some show.

Favourite movie would be Death of Stalin.

would give Radiohead the nod for gig of the year too. Didn't go to as many gigs this year as others, but still got to some great ones. Angel Olsen and Cass McCombs are others that spring to mind. And Wolf Parade.

still mulling over what album I'd pick.

Would have went to more gigs had I heard about them,but best ones were probably the dictators last month,or the Rockies,or maybe Duncan Reid in dundalk.

Boughtnext to no new music this year,but the cheap trick one was great,the professionals lp too,as were eps from dealing with damage and jaded eyes.

Filmwise I thought it was a good year for blockbusters. Dunkirk was great and the Blade Runner sequel really delivered. Saw I, Daniel Blake on a list or two. That was surely last year?

Best film: Dunkirk*
Best gig: ICP Orchestra in the Sugar Club**
Best Album: Oczy Mlody by The Flaming Lips*** ****
Best Song: YAH by Kendrick Lamar*****

* I think it was the only 2017 film I saw, it was alright.

** Really it's a toss up between ICP and Richard Dawson in Whelans but I'm leaning slightly in favour ICP. I didn't know much about them at all, I was expecting a free-improv jazz clatterathon but that was only a small part of it. There was clattering but also lots of big band swing kinda stuff with quirky arrangements not a million miles from Sun Ra. It was deadly. I don't generally like the sugar club for gigs but it was just right for this. Everyone had seats, nobody was talking and the red velvety decor was apposite.

*** Lots of "return to form" talk in the reviews for this and I agree^. I stuck with them through the weird and often tiresome musical badlands they've been mired in since At War With The Mystics and I had pretty much given up on them when this came out (even though Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz was brilliant). There were three singles in advance and I didn't think much of them but I listened to the album anyway and it turns out that it's the best thing they've done since The Soft Bulletin. It even sounds like The Soft Bulletin in places except that it's completely different and totally monged out. Even the singles are good and one (We a Famly) should really be getting the song of the year award. I dunno, it's like poking your head into another world. All the sounds and melodies and ridiculous lyrics seem to make sense in context. Surreal, woozy, blissed out, uneasy etc.

**** On another day i might have picked DAMN by Kendrick Lamar or Out Of Silence by Neil Finn. They're both excellent. It was a pretty good year for new music I thought. Some other ones I liked are Madonnawhore by Toby Driver, Is This The Life We Really Want? by Roger Waters, Peasant by Richard Dawson, Musik by William Eggleston, From The Trees by Peter Hammill, Irreversible Entanglements by Irreversible Entanglements, Scum Fuck Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator.
***** Not sure about this really, but it's so catchy

^ I'm talking about the single LP version here. I really liked Listening To The Frogs With Demon Eyes at first but I got tired of it, its too long and messes up the vibe and it's not on the single disc version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back