Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

Leinster U20 Final last night in Portlaoise:
Offaly v Dublin.
@ 31:37 Offaly go 6 points ahead and hundreds of kids come on the pitch.
Great biased Offaly commentary:
Co-commentator Stephen: ''Ah, get in off the field lads!''. ''I knew that was going to happen''. (Stephen mumbles) "fuck".
Dublin score a goal. Some Offaly kids think the match is over and come on the pitch again - twice.
Stephen: ''GET OFF THE FIELD WILL YE!".
''GET OFF THE FIELD''
''This is a joke Joe''
Dublin player gets sent off. Finally @ 34:55 the final whistle goes!
Commentator Stephen: YEAAASSSSS!!!"
INTENSE.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hahahahaha what a fuckin shambles!!!

Well, that was exhilarating

Well, that was exhilarating

Have watched the race about 7 times now. Think the Brits were last?
Pity it wasn't live on TV. A rugby match was shown instead.
Rome morning session on now.

Also England 0-1 Iceland at Wembley was just ending at the same time this happened.

Last edited:
Senor Paul McGrath

Last night the son of England's 2002 World Cup right back Danny Mills (now a pundit) won silver at European 5000 metres Champs in Rome.
George Mills was runner to Jakob Ingebrigtsen

Well, I'm sold wee laddy

Munich friend sent me a bunch of pics and vids of the Scots dossing around Munich. Looks like the kind of schoolyard I'd have gotten beaten up in, but with alcohol.

Edit, it's actually better with subtitles.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sold wee laddy

Munich friend sent me a bunch of pics and vids of the Scots dossing around Munich. Looks like the kind of schoolyard I'd have gotten beaten up in, but with alcohol.

Edit, it's actually better with subtitles.

Always liked Scotland. Hopefully there aren't too many Rangers players in the squad. If one of 'em scored against Germany it would like shouting:
"G'WAN MCCOIST!"

I could do without any football for a while. Would rather do something else.

Stopped watching Germany v Scotland after the Germans went 2-0 up before 20th minute.
benitez-blackburn.gif

All Ireland Minor Final in Kilkenny yesterday:
Kilkenny 3-12 Tipperary 2-17 a.e.t.
13 man Tipp had two players sent off in the first half inc. one lad in the 8th minute.
Kilkenny blew it with a huge amount of wides and Tipp shouldn't have put themselves through another 20 minutes.
There was a few commentary quips when Tipp and Kilkenny brought on subs called Cagney and Lacey respectively.

I have a feeling I remember this fight. Although I couldn't possibly.

Funny how some things just become legendary.
I have no recollection of Euro 88, someone mentioned it the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_20240701_105403.jpg
    IMG_20240701_105403.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
All Ireland Minor Final in Kilkenny yesterday:
Kilkenny 3-12 Tipperary 2-17 a.e.t.
13 man Tipp had two players sent off in the first half inc. one lad in the 8th minute.
Kilkenny blew it with a huge amount of wides and Tipp shouldn't have put themselves through another 20 minutes.
There was a few commentary quips when Tipp and Kilkenny brought on subs called Cagney and Lacey respectively.
I mean they did and they didn't blow it. You have to remember how young these lads are. Kilkenny had a good scattering of Kieran's lads who were too young to even make the school team that won the all-Ireland in march. Several of them are still 15 years old, and are still underage next year.

The Kilkenny team over-achieved on expectation. That's where it becomes a bit of a conundrum for Kilkenny people. On the one hand there's a team that are giving hope for the future. Same with the under-20s, who I believe are the best collection of players at that age group in the country (they should and would have beaten Offaly but for Bruce Springsteen).

I've been at most of the games this year, and have seen all of them. The management have continually been found wanting with some of their decisions, and ultimately, its management have to take the blame for Kilkenny not winning on saturday.

Young lads that age are not yet clued in enough to the nuances of the game to be able to make changes themselves on the pitch to take advantage of the numerical advantage. And though it was 15 against 13, it was really 15 against 14, because of how poorly KK used the second spare man. They played both in defence, which was a nonsense against Tipp's running game. It afforded Tipp the opportunity to play a sweeper in defence for extra time, when Kilkenny needed to go after the game. That was total nonsense.

Btw, in both semi-finals, the losing teams had players sent off. It only told insofar as the team with the 14 men ran out of steam quicker. But tactically it bore no influence on the game. Galway were the better team for most of their semi against Tipp. Apart from a 15 minute spell in the first half, Kilkenny were comfortably better than clare.

On saturday Tipp were a better team, simple as. Some of those young lads were doing things their senior team can't do. So see some of the linkup play was exceptional. Their ability to pick out a pin-point pass to a lad on the move, had to be seen to be believed.

Kilkenny should go on to win it next year. They have a serious amount of talent underage. They should have won on saturday. And would have if they had sharper minds on the sideline. But thats not to take from Tipp. It was their day and was much deserved, given how economical they were in possession, and the grit and determination they showed (which I believe came from the sendings off).

Btw, there's a lot of hate coming from Tipp folk towards the referee. I didn't see the first incident. I heard it was harsh, but probably technically correct. The second sending off was pretty clear-cut. The ones doling out the hate need to wind back in their necks a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back